1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest trade in Rockets history [Fun]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Aug 21, 2012.

?

What was the greatest trade in Rockets history?

1. Otis Thorpe, Marcelo Nicola, and 1st Round Pick for Clyde Drexler and Tracy Murray

119 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. Carr, Dickerson, Harrington, Price, 1st round pick for Francis and Massenburg

11 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Cato, Francis, and Mobley for McGrady, Gaines, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue

79 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. Rodney McCray and Jim Peterson for Otis Thorpe

16 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Rudy Gay and Stromile Swift for Shane Battier

8 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Vassilis Spanoulis, a future second round pick and $ for Scola & Jackie Butler

34 vote(s)
    8.5%
  7. John Lucas and Tim McCormick for Kenny Smith and Roy Marble

5 vote(s)
    1.3%
  8. Two First Round Picks for Moses Malone

70 vote(s)
    17.5%
  9. $50.000 for Vernon Maxwell

52 vote(s)
    13.0%
  10. Other

6 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. JamesC

JamesC Member

Exactly, that was a true "win now" move.

2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Scott Brooks wasn't on a championship squad, right?

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Come on guys, do get your Clutch City I and II facts right.

1. Scott Brooks was on the first squad but didn't get much playing time.

2. McGrady? NO.
    1. Vernon Maxwell 94
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASxTyFlLYso?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASxTyFlLYso?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

2. Clyde Drexler 95
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j1tf28qahCo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j1tf28qahCo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

3. Actually the main reason for Scott Brooks not playing was Cassell who was AMAZING in both playoff runs

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBJ8MfQKmQA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBJ8MfQKmQA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Clutch City wasn't putting a bunch of dudes with fantastic stats (McGrady etc) on a team, it was CHEMISTRY, LOVE, TRUST, FIRE, and HEART.

Besides that would NEVER WORK, Everyone on that Rockets squad knew that the best player and the offfense HAS TO RUN through HAKEEM. McGrady would not succumb to that strategy.

There were no Egos.

Only HEROES

4. jmcleod

jmcleod Member

Thorpe was part of the Drexler package. One title each ...

Tough call between Drexler and TMac, Drexler helped get the second title whilst McGrady and Yao had the promise to lead the next great Rockets squad.

On sheer impact I reluctantly chose TMac but it essentially. Ones down to regular season brilliance against superb support of Hakeem

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Can't believe Ralph Sampson for Joe Barry Carroll was not in the poll. :mad:

6. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

It's not even close. The single greatest trade of all time was Houston sending nothing to San Diego in exchange for the Houston Rockets. :grin:

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Trading Moses Malone so we could suck for a couple of years and get Hakeem in a coin flip would be up there...

8. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

In the future, the Chase Budinger for Terrence Jones trade will be the most historic in all of Rockets History!!

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Josh Smith trade of course.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The barkley trade was pretty good even though we gave up cassel. People forget the rockets lost to the sonic 16 straight times. They lost every game to sonics from playoff game 7 in 93 until 97. When you're trying to win atitle, its tough to stay status quo when your biggest rival has beaten you 16 straight times. Not to mention they were a younger team and getting better.

1 person likes this.
  11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I voted for the Scola trade but it was only because you left out possibly our biggest trade of all time which was for Barkley. I was shocked all to hell by that trade and for half a minute I hated it. Then I thought, but we have Barkley! And Houston Rockets basketball immediately got twice as fun to follow. And then Karl Malone put on his bear hug and Pippen dribbled the ball off his own foot (and laughed about it) and the trade was a bust. But that wasn't Barkley's fault. He's probably my all-time favorite Rocket. And his time with the team was definitely the peak of my fandom. More than when I went with my dad on season tickets to Moses Malone games, more than the champ years even. I was never a huge Drexler fan (I always felt shooters and even slashers were kind of a dime a dozen) but once the Big Sexy came around I frigging loved Houston Rockets basketball all over again. I miss those days.

12. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Where did you get those stats from? The Rockets didn't lose 16 straight times to the Sonics since game 7 of 1993 WCSF. That being said, the Sonics had their number which was mainly on defense to the point where the Rockets couldn't score. The problem still was not Horry, it was the way Rudy T insisted on using him at the 4. It worked in the playoffs but he was and still is a SF. He could never bang with the big guys and didn't spend time in the post.

We should've kept Herrera or traded for another PF without giving up Cassell. A starting line-up of Cassell, Drexler, Horry / Elie, new PF & Olajuwon would've worked. Just not giving up 2 starters for Barkley unless we would've brought in a good PG like Abdul-Rauf who was on his way out in Denver because of the anthem incident. There were other good PGs available but instead we went with some bad unproven ones who outside of a few good games, did nothing special.

Also, the Sonics were beaten by the Nuggets in 1994 and the reason why was mainly because they had a lot of good bigs in LaPhonso Ellis, Brian Williams, Rogers & Mutombo + Pack was fearless and attacked the basket and amazingly shot well from three. We didn't have one solid big outside of Olajuwon since Horry lived outside the paint. Rogers, Williams & Laphonz were bangers and made the Sonics work hard on defense. We were lucky to beat the Sonics in 1997 and did it with just one extra big in Barkley.

I think we could've beaten the Sonics in 96/97 if we had taken some young solid bigs and cheaper veterans like Brian Williams (Bison Dele) as well. Cassell would've been our Pack who was not afraid to attack the basket, put pressure on Payton and shoot the three. Plus with a solid back up, Kenny was injured and didn't like being replaced thus on his way out, in Abdul-Rauf we would've been able to imo.

13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Cannonball actually looked at this situation as a fact and that Tmac actually played incredibly well for Houston when he wasn't injured and carried this team when Yao was out. Clyde did well but he wasn't nearly as good as Tmac was in Houston. Most people here hate on Tmac just because they are bitter about the nasty breakup.

But you haters have to know that Tmac was injured so he was never the same after. But when he was healthy in his first few years here, he was such a joy to watch. He brought entertainment and great times and bad times to the city of Houston. He carried us through that stretch when Yao was out to that 22 game win streak. But because he had a few bad moments at the end, people hate him to death for that. They seem to neglect the fact that he did a lot for Houston but instead find different ways to hate on him and call him She mac etc...

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That ties into the original trade to get Malone as the best trade. He was a hall of fame player who led a bunch of Houston assets into the finals. As you pointed out, his subsequent trade to Philadelphia helped Houston land Hakeem.

15. 34to11

34to11 Member

:confused::confused::confused:
    Ask these guys about the Barkley trade:
    [​IMG]

The fact is the Sonics owned us before and after the championships. In fact it could be argued that one of the major reasons the Rockets were able to win back to back titles was because Seattle was eliminated in the 1st round those years (by Denver and L.A.). That argument is bolstered by the fact that when we did meet up with the Sonics again, they SWEPT us.

The Barkley trade was absolutely crucial to getting past Seattle. Furthermore, it got us to the conference finals where, save for a mugging by Malone, the Rockets may very well have made it back to the championship for a much anticipated match-up with MJ's Bulls.

16. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I agree that the Barkley trade HAS to be included in the list and is one of the top 5 trades in the team's history.

However, I write this to defend my choice, which was the trade for Francis.

I know the Drexler trade led to a title (and that was my 2nd choice), but I am going with the Francis trade, not because of Francis as a player, but because of the overall impact it had on the franchise. Look at what we gave up for Francis -- none of those players were in an NBA rotation 2 seasons after that trade (well, Harrington was to some degree I think). Dickerson was talented, but his career was destroyed by injuries.

Without the Francis trade the TMac trade never would have been possible. Without the Francis trade the Rockets would have had one less all star point guard for about 10 straight years.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely,

it's an insult to ROCKET FANS not to include this trade regardless what side of the fence you are on. It was absolutely major, it changed the dynamics of the NBA history FOREVER.

Robert ended with a bunch of rings. Sam Cassell ended up changing crap franchises into winners.

The Rockets beat the Sonics. Don't blame Barkley for the WCF, our weakness was PG.

Who saw in their crystal ball that Shawn Kemp would get fat and have hundreds of kids?

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

George Karl was probably the only coach in the NBA at the time that could frustrate Hakeem by mixing up defenses (i.e. Playing an illegal zone). The Sonics were the best at it. Barkley did help, but I didn't love the trade at the time.

19. MONON

MONON Member

Shoulda seen that one coming!:eek:

20. the shark

the shark Member

there's not even a debate here. Moses Malone hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next time you put a "fun" list like this you might do a little more research.