1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming visits Kenya to film anti-poaching documentary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SidDaKid, Aug 20, 2012.

1. SidDaKid

SidDaKid Member

Former NBA star Yao Ming holds a press conference after visiting Kenya for ten days to shoot a documentary aimed at discouraging the purchase of ivory and rhino horns. Yao's campaign is under his partnership with Wild Aid.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2jjC4VZkYVI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jjC4VZkYVI&feature=player_embedded#!

2. SidDaKid

SidDaKid Member

The video is not showing for some reason, so I put the link

3. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yao is a classy guy. I bet Brad Miller is pro-poaching.

5. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Yao, one of the all-time greats on and off the court.

6. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

I hope Yao can make a difference more than he has already. What a great rep as a former NBA player and even better cause he stands for the Chinese people. :cool:

7. Dei

Dei Member

For some reason, I really hate ex-athletes who become activists.

8. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

I'd say he is more a spokesman for a good cause than an activist. Either way, he's doing something for the betterment of mankind... why the hate?

9. biojayc

biojayc Member

Why, because it breaks your stereotype of athletes being thugs? I think it's a good thing anytime anyone takes up a good cause, even if only for the Kudos. At least something is being done. Attention is being brought to the issue.

10. ejarts

ejarts Member

man.Yao's such a good person. I hope he makes a comeback and play with Linsanity.

11. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Personally I think he could make a comeback!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KoaUQLbqvps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Too much the dumbasses have turned this other thread to a political debate. Those fools do not even have the mental ability to tell the difference between the purpose of the GARM forum and the D&D forum.

Anyway, very admirable effort, Yao. Keep it up.

13. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Too bad the dumbasses have turned this other thread to a political debate. Those fools do not even have the mental ability to tell the difference between the purpose of the GARM forum and the D&D forum.

Anyway, very admirable effort, Yao. Keep it up.

14. Allegro

Allegro Member

Blame leebigez then for starting the political flamefest. Go ahead, call him stupid, I won't mind.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Really? Because though I wasn't yet born, I long for the days of athletes like Bill Russell, Jim Brown and Muhammed Ali.

I'm really proud to see Yao trying to make a positive change in the world. We in Houston are very lucky to have former greats like he and Hakeem representing us. I also feel fortunate that we currently have a guy like Arian Foster representing our city.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Banning animal products never made sense to me, just drives the price higher on the black market and makes them more enticing to kill (just like drug prohibition).

If there is profit to be made, people will pay to breed them and there will be more of them.

17. YaoDreaming

YaoDreaming Member

I think Yao should be building more hospitals and doing more human-related stuff while he is in Africa.While what he is doing is nice,it is meaningless,IMO.In fact,he should kill these rhino and feed them to the poor African children.Are human beings the only species on Earth that care more about other species other than its own?I mean we have endless wars to kill each other,but try to save animals in every possible way.It just doesn't make much sense to me.Maybe my knowledge is limited,but I don't think any other species is doing that.

18. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

He's done a ton of "human-related stuff," but there weren't film crews/commercials to cover it. I remember he did a lot for the victims of the earthquake in China a few years back and a quick google search shows he's still heavily involved in building schools and helping children.