1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why aren't OUR bigs meeting with Hakeem?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by woodtee, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Right on Tinman. Can't believe people are comparing Whiteside to Mcgee. There is no comparison!

Javale Mcgee SHOULD dominate the league. He's one of the most gifted, athletic 7 footers i've ever seen. He was a little raw coming into the league so he had a ways to go before he could realize his potential. His attitude and work ethic were the only thing holding him back. Sometimes a change of scenery can ignite a spark and that appears to be what happened with Mcgee. Denver took a risk, and it's going to pay off in a big way.

1 person likes this.
  2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Are Denver and NY paying for Hakeem's time or are the players putting out their own cash?

I was always impressed with Carroll Dawsons tutelage of big men, between him and McHale I don't think Hakeem could benefit the young guys much more than them.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wait...so now our rookies are potential d-leaguers???
    Look, no matter how much you bad mouth the rookies, it still won't get Dwight Howard here.
    (yes, i went there)

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I never compared anyone. Just made a point. That point was, no matter how far along in their careers they are,(whether its at the beginning or the end)they could still learn skills from Hakeem. Tinfoil made it look like a comparison.:rolleyes: Of course.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Luis Scola probably would have benefited from Hakeem. Would have expected him to have better footwork, coming from a country dominated by soccer.

Didn't Yao have a session with Hakeem?

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...for-Yao-at-workouts-with-Olajuwon-1826029.php

I think the idea is that Hakeem can improve your footwor, positioning, timing, etc. But he can't teach players how to shoot or rebound or block shots. In other words, you have to already have some fundamentals to be able to benefit from his sessions. I also think a couple of sessions aren't enough. If I were a player I would do work out with him on a regular basis so what he teaches sticks and becomes instinct.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

From what I read, Amare paid for his session.

7. HoustonJames

HoustonJames Member

When we have a player worthy of working out with him, we will know that we have arrived.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not bad mouthing the rookies. Point me where I said they suck.
    I don't know if they suck or if they are going to win rookie of the year.

The point is the season has not started and they haven't played a single NBA game.

Stop pretending you know what Hakeem would do.

Yeah so what? we didn't get Howard. you realize that was what Morey wanted to do right?

If you keep wishing the Rockets will be stock piling rookies and scrubs than you obviously don't care if they win or not.

9. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

they cant afford it yet :p

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah, and you can still learn a lot more about the NBA and the Rockets.
    in fact, maybe you'll learn something or anything.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Point to me where you have said anything positive about them.

Lebron hadn't played a game. KD hadn't played a game. Kobe hadn't played a game. People still knew they were going to be good. What's your point?

It's called a rebuild genius!!

12. Granville

Granville Member

Hakeem has been about money ever since the time that he signed the dotted line to have his name on these crappy shoes.

[​IMG]

Worst shoes that I have ever owned. They were cheaper made than those shoes you'd see hanging on display at Safeway back in the day.

1 person likes this.
  13. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I seriously think the meeting he had with
    [​IMG]
    threw him off a bit. Even Hakeem couldn't fix that.

14. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

the only player under contract whom i could see learning from hakeem (and who hakeem maybe would want to teach moves) is Motiejunas (young,mobile, tall, with upside)

15. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I think Jones would also make a good student.Maybe in a year or two we will see these guys work out with Dream.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

I forget I have to explain things in a little more detail since you're not on par with the average Clutchfan.

I meant that rookies that have not played a single game in the NBA for their career as opposed to LeBron James who's played many seasons in the NBA and has proven himself.

I think the rookies played well in Summer League, I can't evaluate their NBA Career yet.

Yes, NBA career meaning playing NBA games in the regular season and playoffs.

17. woodtee

woodtee Member

I totally agree with this. If Hakeem is a good teacher, he can help players on any level. However, not every player is going to apply what they learn (aka Thabeet). The superstars have that drive and determination. Some of the rooks may, some may not. I'd love to see what could happen if they gave this idea a shot. DMo says that he wants to be the best, he sounds like the perfect candidate. Royce seems to have a high bball IQ, so he may work as well. Terrence has all the physical skills but he doesn't look like he plays with that much drive. If he could adopt a more dOminant attitude, he could be a star!

18. carayip

carayip Member

Lol. You guys read too much into Hakeem's "McGee should dominate" comment. What did you expect him to say? "I robbed these guys money. They have learnt nothing. They are what they are despite my training."? In case, you haven't noticed, Hakeem praised every one of his student, every single one of them. Training by Hakeem is nice and all. Hakeem's a big name and his training seems to be a trendy thing. But if you think one or two weeks of training can change a player, you're taking this too far. A lot of coaches can teach what Hakeem teaches if the students are willing enough. Ultimately, it's up to the player's own talent and continued dedication.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I knew you would hide behind some bs.:rolleyes: You know what i meant. When they were drafted, people knew they were going to be good players. I bet you were able to evaluate Lebron's and Kobe's career during their rookie offseasons. What's different now, other than draft positioning?

20. Pete the Cheat

seems like a pretty consistent message from Dream...

this was from the Yao sessions:

"How do you dominate the game?" Olajuwon asked his attentive protege. "You are hardworking, you have the conditioning, you have the shots. You have everything. Now, you have to dominate."

[Yao:] "The biggest difference between him and me is the mentality,"