1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 11, 2012.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

Matt Dominguez is overrated. Will never hit at the big league level to be a starting 3B. Book it.

2. Buck Turgidson

Has he changed his swing?

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He's been talked-down and called 'overrated' so much I think he's back to underrated. I personally have little to no expectation of him; he's another Luhnow lotto ticket. If he hits, great. If not, no harm done. I'd trade that half a season of Carlos Lee for Dominguez and Rasmussen every time.

Not that I've heard of. Haven't watched any minor league games though. He did have one of the worst major league swings I've ever seen though. No power loading, poor hip rotation, almost all upper body swing. I'm really surprised he's gotten as far as he has without serious swing work.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, that's promising...

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

@brianmctaggart: Tom Lawless has been named manager at Oklahoma City. He was roving infield coordinator. #Astros

6. xcrunner51

I was wondering who it was going to be. Didn't know anything about him, so I wiki'ed him:

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

WTF is a roving infield coordinator?

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

he goes between the different minor league teams instructing the infield players oh

9. xcrunner51

One of those amorphous positions that's basically a guy flying from team to team giving personal instruction but has no formal day to day responsibility.

Most of the time it's just a part-time gig. Glen Barker was base-running coordinator for the Padres. Ausmus said he's special assistant to GM and flies out once every two weeks or so to give instruction on catching.

Or if you'd like to think of it that way, he coordinates the round-up of all the roving infields that have gotten away.

10. msn

msn Member

lol wut????

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Delino DeShields now has 100 steals in the crosshairs. He's stolen 2 tonight to give him 89, and the single-season record in the system, which was previously held by Lou Frazier. Frazier had 87 in the 1988 season.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Make it 19 for Singleton...

13. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Ariel Ovando with 2 HR's and 2 BB's tonight

14. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Am I crazy to think that Jacob Goebbert should show up on one of our prospect lists now? He's in the top 10 of the Texas League in OPS (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/leader.cgi?type=bat&id=0c632c88), and he's 24 (the Texas League's average age, so it's not like he's doing it an at advanced age).

Seems like he deserves a year in AAA next year. Could profile as a potential bench guy for the outfield in another year?

15. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

What do y'all think the minor league SS situation is going to look like next season?

OKC: Villar
    CC: Mier
    LAN: Fontana
    LEX: Correa

Even though Mier has been injured most of the season, he has been killing the ball in Lancaster in the time he has played this season. Why not give him a shot in CC?

16. xcrunner51

He's slightly old for a prospect. The average ages of AA/AAA are skewed by the career minor leaguers and AAAA players.

You're right on two counts: he'll see AAA next year and his ceiling is probably major league bench player. Nothing to write home about (esp. with all the new players) but a fun player to follow.

It's looking like that. Wouldn't be surprised to see Correa start anywhere from Greeneville to Lexington. Lexington as an 18 y/o might be overwhelming (see DDJ). My personal favorite, Chan Moon, is going to be squeezed into a backup/utility role somewhere.

17. SupermoochieFro

Reminds me of Bogusevic but minus the cannon arm.

18. SupermoochieFro

It's looking like Oberholtzer is starting to get adjusted to AAA now. 3 very nice starts in a row and it's pretty telling that he only got touched for 2ER last night despite giving up 10 hits in 7.2 innings. Promising.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

His first good road start. He has actually been dominant at home.

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The River has just hit his first professional home run. His 2-run shot in the 1st gives Greeneville a 2-0 lead over Elizabethton. Francis Ramirez is starting.