1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why aren't OUR bigs meeting with Hakeem?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by woodtee, Aug 18, 2012.

1. woodtee

woodtee Member

Kobe did it... Dwight too... Lebron won a ring after doing it. Now there's Amare and Javale McGee. From what I've read, it costs only 10 G's for a whole WEEK of his time, so why isn't every single Rockets big man doing it, when he's right here in our own backyard?

Imagine Terrence Jones (who already has great footwork, handles & shooting touch) how HUGE that would be to add Hakeems post up moves?

How about DMo? He's pretty light for a 7-footer and a little uncreative with his moves. Olajuwon would teach him sooooooo much, it'd be crazy NOT to do this!

Asik? OMG, he HAS no offense. Anything Hakeem teaches him would be miraculous. PLUS, if he focuses on learning more tricks about shot-blocking, rebounding and defense from the best, we may just have a steal in this FA signing!

Add to these: Royce, PPat, Morris, Harrelson, JaJuan, Jerome Jordan, that D-League guy, our other bigs from trades, and even Jeremy Lamb... Hey, Kobe and Lebron learned from him, why not Lamb?

Anyway, someone explain this one to me? Why are we not doing this EVERY SINGLE YEAR? Contract Hakeem now and improve the value of all our assets! Maybe then, the big trades for that superstar may actually happen.

Lock this if you think it's stupid, but I have been so freaking bored on these threads lately with Dwightmare over and Linsanity dying down, I need some intelligent Rockets debate! HELP!!!

Git'er done Morey!

2. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Ya know he doesn't have all the time in the world...

3. woodtee

woodtee Member

For $10,000 a pop? He might make time. NBA TV announcers say "Thats so nice that Olajuwon gives back to basketball." But he gets PAID to do it. I'm sure it's not a gesture of altruism. He is now a successful businessman and knows what his time is worth.

Maybe he just takes on A-list clients? well, explain Javale McGee.

4. Rock It

Rock It Member

Because they don't have 50k to dish out i'd guess

5. Arthurprescott2

JaVale at least makes max money. You need to establish some credibility in this league otherwise why would Hakeem waste his time? It's not about just the money for him. It is passing on the game to those who he thinks are worthy/have reached a certain stature (not saying whether that's right or wrong).

6. woodtee

woodtee Member

With ALL the money they are saving by not having a star, they could afford to put all us CFnetters to Ha'Keem Kamp! Even the crabby ones! :)

7. woodtee

woodtee Member

Is Hakeem that much of an elitist? I can't see him turning down NBA players from his own Houston Rockets team. Can he really say yes to Freakin Javale McGee and "no" to TJO, DMO or Asik?

Remember, Hakeem endorsed shoes that sold at Walmart just to reach underprivileged kids?

8. Rock It

Rock It Member

Remember, Hakeem endorsed shoes that sold at Walmart just to reach underprivileged kids?[/QUOTE]

Now hes trying to make that money back by charging for lessons. Maybe he gives discounts and we just don't know it to the rockets org

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Because they lack the foresight/competitiveness/work ethic to maximize their potential, which would explain why they're not that good in the first place.

10. carayip

carayip Member

For one, Jones, DMo etc are rookies. They haven't even received a nba paycheck yet. How could they have the money?

2nd, why waste money on Hakeem when they can get the same coaching from McHale for free?

1 person likes this.
  11. AFS

AFS Member

This. Both were great post players, and honestly, I think the stuff that McHale would teach them to do would be stuff they actually could do. Hakeem was a freak of nature. His combination of speed, athleticism, size, and footwork allowed him to be able to do things that average (or even above-average) bigs in the NBA can't do.

Between McHale and CD, our bigs have two very good teachers and they aren't having to dish out $50k a week for Hakeem to end up teaching them the exact same thing or stuff that they could never do.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Don't we have McHale as a coach if they can't learn how to post properly from McHale I doubt Hakeem would make some miracle changes in their post game.

13. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

All those guys you listed are already very good....

14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Rockets have no bigs

15. woodtee

woodtee Member

Is CD still with the Rox? Also, McHale will teach what he knows... A slow, steady fundamental post up game. Hakeem would give so much more to our young bigs IMO.

Dwight has never made a Hakeem move before, but working with Hakeem has him making moves he never even "Dreamed" about doing before. There is a reason why the best players go to him. HE IS THAT GOOD.

A young, talented big IMO would grow exponentially more from this experience. It's like my son plays Select League Basketball. His teammate goes to get extra lessons from a skills coach and you can see a big difference in his overall game. I coach my son up as best I can, but when it comes from an outside source (much better source), there is a difference.

Also I don't think $10,000 is much for these guys.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because McHale is not capable of doing one on one training like Hakeem.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Who are you talking about??

18. jocar

jocar Member

Unbitobble.

19. AFS

AFS Member

Actually, I'm not entirely sure. I know he worked with PPat and Jordan Hill a couple of years ago.

And I think Hakeem costs more than that. Amare reportedly paid $50k a week for him.

20. woodtee

woodtee Member

Then that would make more sense. But still, wouldn't it be in the Rockets' best interest to hire Hakeem, maybe in a group setting? 5 bigs for $50,000 for one whole week? It looked like Amare and Javale teamed up to learn the Dream moves. Did I see that right?