1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports Illustrated: Rockets offer to Magic was much lower than reported

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

True or not - those Rockets packages still look better to me. Orlando somehow STILL has Hedo, Big Baby, etc... mind boggling.

2. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Can we please keep requoting this post? This is what was offered. And this is MANY TIMES OVER better than what they accepted.

Now the Morey haters and go shut up. We offered a crapload for Howard but didn't completely bust the bank, which would have been quite a stupid move.

3. conquistador#11

oooo, ooooo! insert nicolas cage picture...you don't say!

=)

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm glad Morey didn't overpay for Dwight knowing there was a good chance he was leaving at year's end. Morey played this well.

5. Sanity2disChaos

Sounds like this is what happened thus saying of collusion from the trade my have legs.

Howard was told he would be traded to the team of his liking and guess what. ......

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, we're set now. Howard and Bynum were the only studs on the market, I'm fine with nurturing this new talent, stockpiling futures, and waiting for the next batch of grouchy superstars to sprout. Morey is one of the best as not overreacting. He's only overpaid once. Most GM's overpay 50% of the time. We've got too much going for us right now to overpay. As funny as it sounds, besides having a cornerstone we're on really solid foundation right now - finally. If Morey had managed the Hornets they would have sold about 2 years sooner.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why would the Magic care where Howard wound up? I don't follow? Houston would had to have been the one to finally back out, perhaps after seeing how the rookies performed in camp and having Les back off Morey.

8. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

I don't know if we necessarily took Lamb off the table just because the Lakers got involved and instead of DH we would have got Bynum. It may have been a combination of that and the fact that Lamb played really well in the Summer League, so they've decided to run with him. If you reread the post, that is what it [kind of] sounds like...

However, I also don't believe the Rockets would take somebody off the table because of an impressive Summer League, but would rather sell him high. That seems more like Houston logic to me, but whatever.

PLUS! Morey doesn't tolerate getting jerked around!

9. thesaint

thesaint Member

Enjoyed working with Rob? I would have slapped him asking for Morris, Patterson, Lamb, White and DM for Howard who wouldnt even sign a long term contract.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Summary:

Magic sources say Rockets' offer wasn't that good.

Rockets sources say their offer was a good one.

Can't really make much of that. Les said they had less interest in acquiring DH at the time, than they did right after the season. IIRC, once the rooks did their thin in summer league, the Rockets were no longer mentioned in trade talks and Morey left to London with Les.

IMO, that means Les told Morey to make a final solid offer, but don't go all in. Tell them to take it or leave it.

11. Raven

Raven Member

He said, she said.

12. Garner

Garner Member

I like morey's approach to the trade; the price being offered was what Morey felt was the best thing Orlando could possibly land for Dwight, not what Dwight is actually worth.

Look at the AK-47 signing in Minny this offseason, 2 yrs, $20 Million. Who the hell were they bidding against? What was the second best offer on the table.

This type of approach is what has allowed Morey to maintain his cap flexibility.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Magic did not want Martin, Patterson, etc. because they would win too many games. Magic wants to make their picks for next two years to be as low as possible.

14. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

this.

typical spin doctoring cover our arses maneuver.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

World to Rob: You're a crappy GM.

Rob to World: NO I'M NOT!

16. bloop

bloop Member

It's a puff piece on Hennigan. Amick reports parts of deals as the "deal." As you say Morey was offering 3 potential picks not 2 picks, Hennigan just never locked it down. You don't offer everything out of the gate, you negotiate. It's like Amick is picking one side of the negotiations and saying that was everything.

It kind of seems that Hennigan was worried of being taken to the woodshed by Morey and didn't really want to do a deal with Houston. Even from that article they could have gotten more from Houston than what they got.

17. prs325

prs325 Member

If the Magic wanted an extra draft pick, it would come from LA since were already giving 2. That makes 3 and that would have been a better deal plus Orl get to throw another high contract guy to our end. Clark and Duhon goes to the Lakers and Richardson and either Turkuglu/Big Baby/Quentin goes to the Rockets.

Smh

18. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

magic took too long. if it was pre-draft, it could have been all those 1st round picks. after the rooks impressed, morey was more hesitant in letting them go.

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Like this couldn't be done anyway. They could flip, or bench Martin and Patterson. They still took on salary on get less value with their draft picks. There is no way you can say they took the best deal on the table. No way.

20. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The main value in the Rockets offer was not that we'd give them a ton of great talent in return, but that we'd let them wipe out every single mistake that they'd made in the past few years financially.

I'm going to pointlessly speculate for a second, but I imagine that our offer was more of a sliding scale - we told the Magic which players and draft picks were available and that we'd be willing to take back their terrible mistakes - but the more bad contracts we took back, the fewer players and picks were on offer. Rather like a sliding scale.

Instead the Magic took the daring choice of getting neither young talent, nor significant salary cap relief.

It's a bold strategy, let's see how it works out for them.