1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610am morning show calling for Morey to get fired.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Verbatim, Aug 14, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

Some other good ones are,

Daryl Morey was this close to being named as Romney's running mate.

Morey also claims that he came this close to nailing Kate Upton.

2. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I would've taken the nets package. Brook Lopez, 4 first rounders, and they offered to take on multiple contracts? That's even better than the Rockets offer.

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

All the picks would've been late first rounders, essentially worth less than a 2nd round pick. Lopez would've been sent over with a max contract which isn't really a plus.

4. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Which in and of itself, if it happened, should be enough reason to fire him. How long did Nene last in the town that drafted him and then resigned him? How old and unwilling has Gasol looked the last two years? These two pieces were going to be the centerpiece of the Rockets future?

Laughable at best, and Morey is damn lucky Stern did him the favor.

5. Hak34

Hak34 Member

So essentially your saying that we are idiots for expecting him to land Dwight? Does that make Morey an even bigger moron for trying to begin with? For dumping Scola for nothing in "preparation"?

Facts are facts. Morey has more excuses than a 2 dollar hooker during sunday service.

You "fans" of the GM, how low are as Rockets fans now? Our expectations lowered so much. What happened to our organization? Our fan base now uses the GM as the face of the franchise. Makes sense as Morey has tuned the roster over so much.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Still better than what they got.

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

Thinking about what you posted, you are right. 2010 was a year that the radio had a lot of discussion regarding getting rid of Rick/Kubiak. And yes, the vitriol part is not thrown at you. Usually, I don't get to hear your segment since I'm deep at work during that time but the times I have you have been better than the rest. (although I dare say, morning and afternoon drive hosts are very underwhelming. They really don't know much outside the Texans/NFL. I could go on but I'll stop there.)

Anyways, next time I'll try and post with less heart and more consideration.

8. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Can we say the same thing about punctuation and sentence structure? I mean, if your going to throw a grammar grenade, you might want to check your own radius.

9. candyman285

candyman285 Member

Not a big deal, based on Morey's previous interview's, if the team is out of the playoffs again after this season, he should not have a job. So let's hope for the best this year and if it doesn't workout then lets move on.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Precisely the problem in my opinion. This obsession with making the playoffs instead of building a contender is why we've had a 500 team the last 3 years. At this point our focus needs to be on building something great, not wins and loses.

1 person likes this.
  11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I haven't had a chance to give Nick Wright a shot yet because I find it impossible to listen because of his partner. He sucks. Lopez sucks.

You talk sports for a living. Four hours a day. What the **** are you doing the rest of the time. Trying to think of ridiculous stories to tell the audience? Do a little bit of research. Hell, steal material from here. Innes isn't remotely interesting. Why can't he do a little research? He sounds like a dumbass. I don't know what his takes are now, but I'm sure it's still as stupid.

And I'm not really sold on the new talents on the weekend. Still got to give them a listen to.

And if you're in print media or electronic media, or television or radio, go ahead and call your username out.

We know some already.

We know some 790 guys, we know some KPRC tv guys, we know some Yahoo columnist.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They're not typically put on a pedestal by this crowd so I imagine they get scared away. Most of em' can handle it, others cant. Certain personalities need to hang on to their sense of "fame", some personalities need to be able to hung up on callers when things aren't going their way.

I think Anna Megan's (that's her?) decomposing carcass is hanging somewhere in the hangout so I can't really blame them.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Well, what he had in mind was to build around those 2 with another player coming off a great season in Lowry. Dragic off the bench was going to be nice. It would have been a team that would compete for home-court in the first round. I'm sure he also saw either/or as a trading chip for Dwight, etc. You don't know what would or wouldn't have happened if those deals went through.

Edit: Dragic was on the way out in the Gasol trade.

#173 sammy, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  14. Hak34

Hak34 Member

I know that the Magic didn't want Gasol to trade D Ho to the Lakers. I know that Nene signed his contract then was unceremoniously shipped to the Wizards same year.

I know that Gasol, Nene and Dragic would not of earned a home court advantage, this or last year.

I know that just like Dwight, Gasol made it very clear he didn't want to be in Houston. Just like Carmello, Stoudamire, Deron, Lebron, Bosh, heck even Jujuan. It seems that everyone doesn't want to be in Houston.

Its time to let Morey walk after this year. He has failed on all levels.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I said it before but who listens to AM radio consistently still? There are about a zillion far better choices. If I'm a radio shock jock on 610 who spends four hours saying ridiculous things to get people to call in, I'm feeling pretty bad about myself because it means I'm about 20-25 years late to the party and the cleaning crew is already starting to break out the mops to clean up.

Seriously? AM Radio? I don't get why anyone would subject themselves to that. It's like eating at the 30 year old discount buffet restaurant when the only two possible outcomes are you will immediately become sick from it, or you will become sick over time from it while it gives you just enough sustenance to keep you slightly miserable every day.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Zach Lowe must have been that high.

17. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

I'm out of state and use my iPhone to stream Houston radio for Rockets news. I thought it was funny that 610s morning hosts are not from Houston or seem to have ties. I got tired of the constant negative feedback on the Rockets and through you guys found 790, IHeartRadio app. Wish it was easy to podcast the 790 shows though.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

I would love to hear the best options to listen into while driving before the year 2000 happened.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Um, how many bad contracts did they shed in that dwight trade? IIRC, the only bad contract they dumped was Jason Richardson, and he wasn't that bad a contract, at 6-8M he's just your average NBA player. If the contracts were such a showstopper why did they end up not dumping any of their really toxic contracts in the trade?

We had enough space to absorb DH's salary and still take out 1-2 bad contracts. And let's be real here, exactly what kind of offer did Orlando get anyway? They trade involved Howard, Bynum and Iggy and somehow Orlando didn't end up with any of those guys? Not only that the picks they received were LOTTERY PROTECTED. Lottery protected picks for the best center in the league in his prime? The dice were loaded, simple as that.

20. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

That had more to do with the directions that needed to be taken for a post-Melo Denver and a post-Howard Orlando than it did the desirability of Gasol or Nene as players. If your point is that Gasol is washed up, you must have missed his performance against our Olympic Dream Team in the finals.

I believe Dragic would have been included in the Hornets deal, so Lowry would have been our point. A lineup of (healthy)Nene, Gasol, Parsons, Lee and Lowry might not have been a definite 1-4 seed this year, but I don't think you can rule it out.

Gasol's initial reaction to the trade was an honest response. He did not want to leave LA. He later said that he would be a pro and give it his all no matter where he was traded — a far cry from Dwight's threat to bolt at the first opportunity.
    If your point is that no one wants to play in Houston, how is that Morey's fault? It's more an excuse for his failure to land a star than it is an indictment of his performance as a GM.

I actually agree with your earlier point that Stern may have done us a favor in rescinding the trade, but not for the same reasons you provide. I actually think that roster could have been a start to a very good team with a few more moves. However, if you can't get past the Lakers or the Thunder (and ultimately past the Heat), what's the point? It might be better to be rebuilding right now than to be simply "very good."