1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we have also signed JaVale McGee?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Petey-N-Htown, Aug 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

He would have made a nice match with Asik I think.

2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Yes we should have.

3. Arthurprescott2

Not for the amount of $$$ he was seeking.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Late to the party as usual.:rolleyes:

5. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

McGee was beasting in Denver last year, a monster shot blocker and potential to grow.

You can find most of his career highlights on Youtube biggest NBA follies. But those were with Wizzards. He is still young and I really like his upside.

For 2 millions more per year, I would rather take McGee over Omer b/c he is a proven starter.

6. rocketseagles07

18 million dollars for two centers who can't play any offense and are both still developing? Nah, I'm good....

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think in retrospect, we should have signed McGee, but his red flags made it a reasonable course of action to steer clear at the time.

8. Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday Member

McGee needs a team with sensible veteran players on it to teach him how to think about the game properly. He's getting that in Denver, where they had a good number of veterans (eg. Miller, Harrington) who could give him advice. With our very young team, he would not get that in Houston. Instead he would probably revert to his Washington playstyle, and frankly that's not worth the money we'd be paying him.

ST

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree with this. We'll be fine with Asik who provide a little more stability and consistent.

10. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Exactly our argument for why Asik isn't being overpaid is the fact that we (management) thinks that he can be dominant on defense and can develop more on offense. But to pay a guy even more than that who has the exact same set of skills?!?! You can't defend that argument

11. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

McGee> Asik

i dont care how dumb people say he is, he is far better than DeAndre Jordan. And has nice potential

12. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

McGee is not as dumb as Thabeet, have him down here with McHale, and out of the Wizards crap organization. And he would flourish

If he was drafted by Houston from Day 1, he have been a All-Star right now

13. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

McGee was not out there for 3 years at 31 million dollars or 2 million a year more than Omer.

44 million dollars over 4 years is what Denver agreed to. So to sign him away you have to go high and perhaps much higher than that. I imagine it would be closer to 56 million to sign him.

I am not sure McGee is worth that much more than Asik. Is he worth more than double for one more year?

I do not think so.

Bleed Red Rockets Red

Fierguard

14. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

when you consider age, potential, and current production. He is worth 10x more than Asik

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Negatives: maturity factor, basketball IQ, inconsistency, no post game, and is he capable of being a starter for 82 games.

16. NewBigThree09

NewBigThree09 Member

I like McGee...
    He's a bit on the dumb side but he's not a head case like some other players.
    Don't think he would disrupt our locker room chemistry
    In my opinion he is also miles ahead of Asik and have way more potential than him.
    Don't really see anything special in Asik, Hope he proves me wrong though

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can fix all sorts of things. Shooting form, bad technique, etc. But just like you can't fix short or unathletic...

You can't fix stupid.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He's an interesting player(no longer should he be considered a prospect) to be in the mix with veteran players who can cover up for his deficiencies.

On a team with nothing but young player trying to make a name for himself he looks like.... well McGee on the Wizards.

Good fit, and pickup for the Nuggets to re-sign as well moving forward.

On the Rockets, your probably better off with Asik as someone that you can depend on to at the very least, execute well defensively, and make a positive impact.

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

The thing is we dont really know. We can also assume Omer will pop his knee if he plays any substantial amount of time as a starter. This kind of assumption without any stats to back it up is really irrelevant!

He already signed the contract to 4 year/44 million, It begins at 10 million/year and progresses with % each year.

2012 > 10 mil
    2013 > 10.75 mil
    2014 > 11.25 mil
    2015 > 12 million

For the first 3 year, it amounted to 32 million, 7 million more that Omer or 2.3 million more/year

Like I said, if it came down to choose between those two, McGee all the way.

Omer was a backup C, played mostly against backup C. How will he perform against starters like D12, Bynum, Horford, Bonut? Until Omer plays 25-30 min/game agaisnt them, We dont really know.

If for 2.3 million more (take his contract value and not pulling off farfetch numbers), we can sleep a lot better this offseason, knowing we have a bona fide young center comes opening day.

20. rocketseagles07

I agree that mcgee>asik but like one of the posters above said he needs to be in the right environment. This team would not have been the right environment for him. He's basically asik with more potential, less iq/maturity, and WAY more athleticism. Like Cousins(not as good as him though) if he gets his head together he good be a very good player....