1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DONE DEAL: Dwight Howard to Lakers, Bynum to Philly, Iggy to DEN, Garbage to ORL

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SidDaKid, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

For the average American, Super Teams are a more compelling viewing option.

#1401 Dubious, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Everyone hates you.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7002978&postcount=219
    I had this pegged from the beginning. I couple all that is happening here with the rumors about the agent problems during the lockout and the other trades that happen in the NBA...

The agents are running stuff behind the scenes as I suspected from the beginning.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe so, but I'm glad if they did play hardball. When we had Dragic/Lowry/Lee/Scola/Camby/Dalembert, it made sense to pay a pretty penny to get Howard because you could be competitive this year and convince him a Howard-led Rockets team could be a contender. Once Morey burned the thing down, though, the chance Howard would actually re-sign with us went way down, and the gap between Howard's contention window and the rest of the players' got bigger. Since the fit wasn't as good, his value to us wasn't nearly as high. So, I hope he did play hardball; and I'm not crying that the Rockets weren't part of the deal.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I WANT A PRO HOCKEY TEAM!

I would have season tickets in a heartbeat!

6. moreyball

moreyball Member

Don't understand why people claiming the motherfu**in agent has the power? The best players the prick Fegan represents are Wall, Rubio, CLee and Nene. I doubt Orlando would fear not being able to sign those guys if they ever hit free agency

7. Houston09

Houston09 Member

so clutch are you hearing any other rumors for the rockets?

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

So now that LA got theirs after the canceled Chris Paul trade, when is Stern gonna promise us our #1 pick for screwing us on that one? Seriously, he won't veto Paul to the Clipps or Howard to the Lakers, only our (imo crappier) trade. It was a terrible precedent at the time, and in retrospect it's an even shadier move given the trades that they are allowing to pass.

Let's give Stern a chance to pull a make-up. We need to get in the ballpark (worst 7 record) so that it wouldn't look ridiculous if we won. Then we will know.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yup. I worried about it too. The confidence of Dwight's camp, coupled with how completely absurd the reported Brooklyn talks were for Orlando, had me very worried that other factors were at play for the Magic.

Every non-LA/NY/Miami owner needs to hold strong in five years and demand a complete system overhaul. If it means no pro basketball for years, I'm fine with it.

10. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I might be the only one on Magic's side in Dwight deal. This is what rebuilding looks like: picks, $30 million cap room in 2014.</p>&mdash; Brian K. Schmitz (@MagicInsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/MagicInsider/status/233944559355310080" data-datetime="2012-08-10T15:15:04+00:00">August 10, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Magic contend HOU deal, not what is was cracked up to be.</p>&mdash; Brian K. Schmitz (@MagicInsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/MagicInsider/status/233945996638449665" data-datetime="2012-08-10T15:20:46+00:00">August 10, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. The Cat

Schmitz is a Magic apologist that's been out to lunch this entire time.

12. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

The Magic decided to send Dwight Howard to the Lakers in a four-team trade instead of offers from both the Rockets and Nets.

Houston's final offer was $12 million in immediate cap space instead of Arron Afflalo and Al Harrington, several of their recent first round selections, along with future lottery and unprotected draft picks.

The Rockets were unwilling to take back any bad contracts in return while dealing for Howar
    Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222922/Rockets_Offered_Multiple_Recent_Picks_Future_Picks_$12M_In_Cap_Space_For_Howard#ixzz239nvtwAt

13. phantoman

Dwight Howard will be on a new, presumably maximum contract for the 13-14 season.

The Lakers already have financial commitments to Kobe Bryant at $30.45 million, Pau Gasol at $19.285 million, Steve Nash at $9.3 million, Steve Blake at $4 million and Jordan Hill at $3.563 million.

When including Howard's expected maximum contract, the Lakers will have approximately $92 million committed to just six players.

With a tax line at $75 million, the Lakers would owe $34.3 million for just those six players.

Via Ken Berger/CBS Sports (via Twitter)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222921/Lakers_Expected_To_Have_$92M_In_Salary_On_Just_Six_Players_In_13_14#ixzz239oMcLv1

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

For the first time I agree with this. The system is obviously broken when the agents wield this kind of power. I'm willing to let the players rot with no Bball for years if it nets us some kind of NFL parity system. I'll watch replacement players, whatever, as long as teams can deal with agents/players and make decisions according to what's best for the team.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I join those who are frustrated that teams continue to bend over backwards to help the Lakers stay on top. Like JVG said on 790, teams need a foundational player in the NBA, and Howard would have provided HOU just that. Even for a year.

So HOU now is relegated to "rebuilding through the draft". And point to SAN and OKC as models to follow. Which may be the best approach (and lucky for us, its now our only approach). Now all we need to hope for is Tim Duncan or Kevin Durant to return to college. In the mean time, we can watch the Astros rebuild, and then the Rockets compete with the other "not the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, and Thunder" teams compete for the chance to draft Cody Zeller.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

8/10/12

The day basketball died

17. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

It would actually make sense if Morey indeed said he is unwilling to take any bad contracts (Davis, Turk or J-Rich) since Howard was a high risk and he wanted to maintain flexibility. Good move imo.

18. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

I don't doubt the convievability of that but I think the vitriol being spewed at Hennigan is because he basically traded Howard for Arron Afflalo and didn't give the team any salary cap relief. I don't care what people say about the guy but Kevin Martin is better than Arron Afflalo and the Rockets deal was better than the deal they got. The magic got hossedbadly, its pretty embarrasing. I would've loved to be in the Philly spot in this deal, give up Martin and Patterson to get Bynum. But that shows how bitter it got between the two sides that Hennigan or the Magic Pres. didn't want Hou involved at all. All in all bad deal on Magic part

19. phantoman

They have to wait 2 years to use the cap space.... in the mean time they get multiple high 1st rd picks... I don't disagree with him.. but Houston was thinking of immediate impact...

20. The Cat

I'd say 7/8/10 is more accurate. That's when the wheels were fully put in motion.