1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Morey can't handle stupidity on the part of other GMs.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Spooner

Spooner Member

Could be the worst deal. Iguodala has become the leagues best perimeter defender, a very unique offensive player and is a multiple all star. Moe Harkless has potential to be a great player in the league, Vucevic looks like he could be very good. I wouldn't call any of them scrubs. They dump Iggy's contract but the pick up JRich.

If Bynum goes down like he's done every season except for a lockout shortened one, Philly just lost their best player, best prospects and are left with no picks and JRich contract.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's pretty clear the agents are running this show...

All these guys have pretty much gone to the team/area they wanted to go to. Melo, Bosh, Lebron, and even CP. This is no different. Agents are scaring teams into making their clients happy. If not scaring, then bribing, but it's something. Teams aren't going after the better deals.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

In that case they have a lot of cap space. Iggy is not worth his contract with the new CBA.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Please don't finish an otherwise good post with an extremely immature remark. It's just disappointing.

re your comment.

As I said, that trade is a nobrainer Davis aside.

It's indeed a miracle they got #1, but they chose lottery intentionally.
    They took that deal, they let David West go.

They were bound to end up with a better pick than if they did the Houston trade. I don't think you can debate that.

Rebuilding through lottery is a sound strategy compared to being old and mediocre.

Even if they picked at #7 or whereever, that's better than picking at #14 or 15.

? He's staying because they matched him.

still higher than the Knicks pick.
    well, Dragic's great year is hindsight too. we need to pick one or the other.

Scola is a good player. Martin is a fine player too. But that team overall would've been pretty mediocre, expensive and on the old-ish side.
    Rebuilding through youth and cap space is a legit strategy.

Maybe, maybe not. It's speculative. If he has the same season, it's hard to retain him without overpaying.

5. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Hey guys guess what!?! We may be stuck with Morey "I will never be able to land the big fish" Morey, we have an NFL team that will compete for a championship this year, while LA still is hoping to land the Jaguars!

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I agree. It's not guaranteed though. Lets say everything works the same (Dragic plays great, Scola is like last year, Martin is ok but misses some games, Odom comes to camp out of shape and unhappy).
    You take away Chris Kaman who was pretty good last year. Gordon was a non-factor.

Do you go from 21 wins to 36-37? Or to use the more familiar 82 system, from 26 wins to 45-46?

I think you possibly do. But it's not much higher than that. And on top of it, your team is rather expensive and the upside is low.
    It's not a great spot to be in.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Morey lost again and then we gave up Scola...

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Scola was not in the plans either way.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Scosuccinct fit and didn't make us any better in the long run.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

and they have a ton of flexibility (very roughly 10 mil cap next year before they resign Holiday).
    In hindsight, it now looks great that they didn't resign Lou Williams to a long deal, and picked up guys on expirings instead.

If Bynum stays healthy and they add someone (Paul Milsap?), they'll be very good, and they'll also have enough size to hurt the Heat.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I have no problem with them letting go of Scola. It was sad to see him go for nothing, and see him sent to another Western Conference team that wont put him in an opportunity to start for a title contender.

However, I am realistic that if they did want to trade him then they would have had to take back some major financial obligations in return. The Amnesty very well could have been the best deal out there for the Rockets long term.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

No, but they seem to be "handling" him pretty well. He put two teams in a corner, but the "big deals" seem to pass him by.

13. thekad

thekad Member

I'd say the the stupid GM is the one who let Luis Scola go for nothing on the off chance he could mortgage the team's future for an injured star who didn't want to play in Houston and would leave in a year.

Too bad we're stuck with that dumb decision with nothing to show for it.

14. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

It's like most of the other GMs are also Lakers fans.

15. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Players aren't the only ones with leverage. If agents blacklist teams from their clients, then their clients will end up making less money because there are fewer teams bidding for their services.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Scola amnesty makes sense with or without a Howard trade and likely was made with this fact in mind.

Specifically,

1. They need to give the young PF/Cs opportunities to show what they can do.

2. The extra cap room cleared by letting Scola go will allow the Rockets to eat unwanted contracts for value in return. For example, Seattle took on Kurt Thomas' contract with their cap room (1 year, $8 mil) and got 2 1st rounders in return. One of the 1st rounders turned into Serge Ibaka.

3. The extra cap room will also potentially allow the Rockets to have enough cap room to sign 2 max players in the 2013 offseason.

17. pass_to_Hakeem

ohhhhhhhhhhh K but now back to basketball!!!! LA is gonna win titles from 2012-2016 right around when Kobe decides to retire

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't know what to say. This is like a hunter expertly tracking it's prey to a cliff top where the only place to go is jump to certain death...and then watching it jump to it's death only to have the meat land in a big truck en route to the Staples Center. The Orlando GM is the prey in this scenario - Dwight is obviously the meat. LA is the team who ends up getting fatter.

...I hope the league owners pitch an absolute fit about this. Next year's NBA All Stars in the West will ALL BE FROM LA TEAMS FOR CHRIST SAKE(Paul, Kobe, Griffin, Gasol, and Howard). How is anyone else suppose to make money when LA teams & Miami will dominate 90% of TV time, press, endorsements, etc. Sure the NBA is making money and obviously so is LA teams, Miami, & NY teams but the other teams sure as hell aren't. This stinks. I see a lot of empty threats on this board and I'm certainly not one to partake but the more I think about this the more I seriously I am contemplating boycotting the NBA until serious changes are made. I just can't stomach watching the game and the league that I grew up worshiping turn to complete **** so the 1% in the league can make more money.

1 person likes this.
  19. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I wonder what Morey is doing right now. Headdesking? Facepalming? A combination?

20. Happii

Happii Member

LOL people were saying "don't make a 3-way where the Rockets get Bynum and Howard goes to Lakers" because it would mean the Lakers would become a super team BUT in the end the Lakers got what they wanted (Howard) without giving away Gasol. So the Rockets could have gotten Bynum, a superstar talent but rejected it because they were scared of the Lakers. Now we don't have any superstars on our team and the Lakers have become God-like. What now? It looks like a given that next season would be a Laker-Heat final and the Rockets are stuck at mediocrity AGAIN. This offseason should of been a title contender or bust season but we somehow ended up at mediocrity AGAIN. How the fk does that happen? The stupidity flames yet again.

By the way it looks like the Raptors are not going to be a tanking team next season with the likes of Valanciunas, Bargnani, Lowry, DeRozan and Fields as a starting lineup. So thus our draft pick is looking pretty crappy if you ask me. Dallas draft pick is going nowhere. But if McHale can just leave his pride at home and purposely lose games for us, maybe, just maybe we can still make the superstar train. Hopefully the superstar is not a trainwreck.