1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orl meet with mavs about Dwight, orlando also prefers lakers offer over rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets11champs, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

The longer they wait the less they can "write off" with non-guaranteed contracts because we'll have to start releasing some more soon.

2. Pete the Cheat

trading for or building around secondary stars is a recipe for mediocrity and only serves as a step backwards in regards to every move this team has made in the offseason.

we are at a crossroads...either:
    trade for Dwight with enough flexibility to add a 2nd star
    re-build with young talent

what you two are suggesting is pointless...

if you are suggesting trading for a secondary star at this point

1 person likes this.
  3. anchel

anchel Member

The link for the post apparently doesn't work. Post 9316 of this page:

http://truebluenation.com/forum/ind...he-dwight-howard-drama-unfolds/page__st__9312

Is not an article but saw it interesting.

4. moreyball

moreyball Member

Don't understand why rebuilding teams can't trade for all-stars? New Jersey first traded for Deron Williams, then a year later got Gerald Wallace and Joe Johnson AND are still a possibility to trade for Dwight. I don't think their mediocre at all, even without Dwight.

So my options are:

1) Trade for all star first - maybe convincing Dwight to want to pair up
    2) Trade for all star first - miss out on dwight - be bad enough to get a top 10 pick (I believe NJ was top 10 worst team with Deron?)
    3) Don't trade for any star - hoping any of our rookies or future lotto picks pan out (not a sure thing)

1 and 2 are the only sure ways to get at least 1 all-star on our team to build around. Don't want to take 100% chance on rookies and lotto picks and end up having to build around lotto busts.

5. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Brooklyn has NO chance to trade for Dwight. NONE. You don't trade for the second all star until you have Dwight first, because if you don't get Dwight, you would be paying someone a ton of money just to be a part of a rebuilding project when you could just go young and have cheaper contracts.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

As you said, Deron Williams went first, and he's on a different tier than Rudy Gay, Andre Igoudala, Josh Smith and the other names often proposed around here. I'm fine trading for a Deron-level player even without having Dwight in the fold. However, I don't see any such player available. Not fine with trading for a player along the lines of the latter.

7. moreyball

moreyball Member

I don't understand the difference between trading for a player and paying him a ton of money or signing a free agent next year for a ton of money? I'm pretty sure Houston will sign at least 1 player to the max in the offseason with the capspace, regardless if we have Dwight or not and regardless if that player actually deserves the max (like a James Harden?)

Regarding NJ, can never say never. I wouldn't think Lakers could trade Kwame and unproven Marc Gasol for Pau, but it happened.

8. moreyball

moreyball Member

Well it didn't even appear Deron was on the block. It came as a surprise to me when he was traded, but maybe I was the only one who didn't see that coming... Who knows, maybe someone of his caliber will become available.

9. Pete the Cheat

the difference is you have to give up a measurable amount of assets to acquire that player...

10. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I wonder if Magic fans would be happy getting Brook Lopez and a couple of 20th-25th first rounders.

11. knappy328

knappy328 Member

I'm a magic fan - I'd rather give up two second round picks to not take Lopez.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

They'd rather not.

13. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Good to know, knappy and J.R.

Here's hoping that 'insider' is once again, full of it.

Just want this to end. Can't get really attached to rooks until it is.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's total BS

Even if it was somehow actual inside information, which I doubt, all that would tell me is the Brooklyn threat is Hennigan's best attempt to generate leverage against Morey. He's stalling and trying to force Morey to up his offer.

15. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

That worked better. the first one went to a post that quoted it and the link to it did not work. Although I still stand by what I said earlier. Brooklyn doesn't have the space to offer relief. Post 9318 pretty much sums up my thoughts on it as well.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I was so mad about the situation that I emailed the Dwight Howard Basketball Camp. I was kind of surprised with the response I got:

I apologize for your frustration with Dwight. Believe me, you are not the only one who is frustrated. It has been pretty much impossible to plan a camp around him, his back injury and his schedule this summer.

You are entitled to a full refund if you want it. Just let me know your camper’s name and I can get the process started for you.

Again, I apologize for the situation and drama that has occurred. We are trying the best we can under the circumstances.

Sincerely,

Reese Hicks
    Camp Marketing Coordinator

Quote from a TBN member

17. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Please Orlando trade him the guy doesn't want to be there.Take our offer and move on.

18. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Dwight for lopez and the nets cant take back any other contracts because they are over the cap. SMH Orlando set themselves up for failure.

19. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Yes they can Lopez/Hump makes 12 mil a year,then add Brooks/3 1rd picks.

They can take back Dwight,Jrich,Duhon,Qrich to make salaries match.

20. teebone21

teebone21 Member

that want turk gone more than qrich or duhan and current team salary is $81,802,948.:eek: .if they cant get a trade before deadline, they cant have dwight for couple of years. If orlande waits on that trade it just shows how bad the system is in the nba . They could have easily traded him by now but instead they want to pacify him like a toddler and send him where he wants to go regardless if they have to pay almost half the cap for humphries and lopez.