1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orl meet with mavs about Dwight, orlando also prefers lakers offer over rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets11champs, Jul 31, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Every week that passes, Morey's offer needs to be lessened. Pure and simple. Bidding against yourself is the dumbest thing anyone can do in negotiations.

Every week we wait, it makes it a little bit harder to rebuild the team to win now with Dwight and a little bit harder to convince him to stay. By the time February comes around, the offer should be
    Martin, Patterson, Johnson, TE, Mavs pick, Charlotte pick for Dwight only.

In fact, if I were Morey, I'd fax over to Henningan a timeline with what the max offers will dwindle to as he hems and haws.

Right now, the alternative looks great to me. Les is forced to accept a losing season (made palatable by the lowest payroll in a very long time), we get to watch a young team with potential, and possibly go into the next draft armed with two good lotto picks to chase after a young center costing a quarter of Dwight's salary.

2 people like this.
  2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey wants Dwight bad, but I don’t think he is going to give up an amount of assets that prevents him from making another significant move. It has been stated many times that if Morey were willing to part with a package as stated above this deal would have been completed long ago. When asked about the possibility of giving up those pieces in a trade, Morey himself said something along the lines of, “we didn’t start taking stupid pills yesterday.” That proposed trade would leave the rotation looking something like this:

Lin/Douglas
    Richardson/White
    Howard/Asik
    Motie/Johnson
    Parsons/Morris

While that team looks as though it would be serviceable, I don’t think it is the contender that Morey wants, and is not likely to be much (if any) better than the Orlando Magic of last year. You have some truly offensively challenged wings there, even with Richardson. More importantly, it leaves the Rockets with no assets to trade either this summer or later in the year.

What it’s probably going to come down to is how much Orlando values the presence of a maxed-out Brook Lopez over the availability of cap space provided by the expiring contract of Kevin Martin. Kevin Martin could bring the Magic additional assets if traded again at the deadline. That could have them on their way to a true rebuild rather than trading for players already locked into long term contracts like Lopez. I am inclined to believe that Hennigan would prefer to build through the draft and sign his own players.

I do think the signing of Lin eases the pressure of signing another max contract player. While his play may not fully live up to the billing, Lin is a superstar. There was probably not a more talked about player last year in basketball outside of maybe Dwight himself (and probably only Tebow trumps him in the entire sports world). That is a superstar. Lin is a marketable player with a high profile. That accounts for a lot when considering the benefits of a market. Market share is a big part of it, but when shoe companies are handing out contracts, what they are looking at is the player’s visibility. New York and LA are always going to be desirable because of their market share and the amount of national exposure they get. A team with Dwight and Lin on it is going to get a lot of coverage and be extremely visible, which is why I believe Morey thinks it will be an easy sell once he gets Dwight here. Of course the team needs to win and be in the playoffs as well.

So while, I’m not against giving up all of the previously acquired assets, I think Morey needs (and intends) to save enough to get one more player. I think you could hold enough back from the Howard trade to send a package to the Kings for Tyreke Evans. I know that Iguodala seems to be the preferred target of this board, but Evans may come cheaper along with being younger and have some potential for improvement.

Lin/Douglas
    Evans/Richardson
    Howard/Asik
    Motie/Johnson
    Parsons/Morris

A team constructed that way looks pretty formidable. If Evans works out, the team could look to re-sign him long-term text summer. If not, let him walk or possibly go the sign-and-trade route as he appears to be a RFA then. If the Rockets are able to get Howard to re-sign, they could then look to move Asik and possibly Richardson’s expiring contract, depending on how well the team performs. They may only require minor tweaks as they would still be very young with room to improve.

1 person likes this.
  3. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

This would be awesome. No more contact, just a timeline and a phone number for Henny to call when he is ready.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

LOL @ 99%. that's very high odds. Would you bet your life savings on that? Because i would if I knew the outcome would be 99% that it would happen.

5. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

I agree,I have said this from day 1 Morey is no fool he will not trade all his assets for Dwight.In his perfect world he would trade for Dwight and use the other assets to get a 2nd star to pair with D12.

6. moreyball

moreyball Member

Damn right! I'm tired of this muthafu**in prick jerko** hennigan biding his time like an as**ole!

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This week on Basketball Wives....:rolleyes:

8. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Well I think Hennigan is doing the same thing that any half-way decent GM would do. If you know you're going to have to trade your Franchise (D.Howard) away you don't want it to be for peanuts, but at the same time he's only going to get offered peanuts because his franchise (Dwight Howard) has said that he will only re-sign with certain teams. So he's trying to get the best bang for his buck, right now he has a player that doesn't want to be in Orlando, and the only teams he actually wants to go to, can't make a good enough offer to get him there.

Daryl Morey knows this as well, which is why his offer is probably extremely low, yet probably higher than what everyone else is offering. Hennigan wants an awesome offer, but the only teams that can give him what he wants (young talent, good picks, take on bad salary)are the Rockets and....NOBODY else. So at this point he's really caught between a rock and a hard place in the fact that you either take the Rockets low-ball offer, or be willing to wait and run the risk of offers becoming even less than they are now.

9. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

If you don't mind me asking why do have a quote of me?

I thought I made it clear I was joking,are you trying to prove a point?

10. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

WDBO's Inside Magic ‏@wdboinsidemagic
    #BREAKINGNEWS: WDBO learns Dwight Howard will NOT be at his basketball camp Aug. 13 and 14. Draftee Andrew Nicholson to take DH's place.

11. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Tony Mejia ‏@TonyMejiaNBA
    No surprise that Dwight will skip his camp. The negativity surrounding any appearance would've been a distraction. The page is being turned.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

13. nono

nono Member

Why didn't we save our amnesty to use it on of of the bad contracts Orlando would give us rather than amnestying Scola ?

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can only amnesty people on your roster when the CBA was signed. Players aquired after the end of the lockout aren't eligable.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Because amnesty has to be used on a player that was already under your franchise's payroll at the beginning of the new CBA. Can't be used on future contracts or acquisitions.

16. macho87

macho87 Member

You can't amnesty a player that you get in a trade.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Can teams amnesty new players? Anyone know?

18. nono

nono Member

Thanks guys. It would have been funny if we could amnesty JR Richardson or Turkoglu right at the moment we signed them.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Nope. It was a one time amnesty for players that were in your team before the new CBA was created and signed. As a matter of fact, if you trade a player to another team that player ceases to be amnesty eligible.

So your answer is clearly no.

20. mgpwr

mgpwr Member

LOL Yeah, too bad. That would have been absolutely hilarious.