1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo comments on Relationship with Lin from Olympic Games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jscmedia, Jul 29, 2012.

1. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Lock if posted- Sporting News story - Link : http://aol.sportingnews.com/olympics/story/2012-07-28/carmelo-anthony-jeremy-lin-knicks-tyson-chandler-rockets-team-usa

LONDON – Calling Jeremy Lin’s contract offer from the Rockets “ridiculous” certainly got many wondering about the feelings Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony had toward the upstart point guard, who had his most success when Anthony was stuck on the Knicks bench with an injury in February.

The fact that Lin’s big stretch of games occurred without Anthony, and that coach Mike D’Antoni was fired shortly after Anthony’s return to the lineup, has only fueled speculation that Anthony and Lin were never going to get along. Lin signed a three-year, $25 million deal with the Rockets last week that the Knicks chose not to match. Anthony has insisted he did not tell the Knicks to not match the deal, even after they had signed free-agents Jason Kidd, Raymond Felton and Argentine veteran Pablo Prigioni.

One disinterested party, Knicks and Team USA center Tyson Chandler, agreed, saying Anthony took an interest in Lin for a long time, an interest most could not see.
    Carmelo Anthony says he is one of Jeremy Lin's true supporters. Still, his USA basketball teammates gave him grief about the situation. (AP Photo)

“There were always things in the locker room,” Chandler said, “Melo talking to him and helping him, things that nobody but us saw. Even out here (in London), guys on the bus was laughing because he was taking slack, they was giving him slack. But he made it known here, like, ‘I like the kid and I wanted him back.’ So if he says that kind of stuff on the bus, when there’s no cameras around, you know that’s how it is.”

Anthony has continued to say the source of his calling Lin’s three-year, $25 million contract “ridiculous” is the final year of $14.9 million, which balloons in the third year from about $5 million per in the first two years. The Rockets structured a back-loaded contract to thwart the Knicks’ ability to retain Lin, and it worked when Garden chairman James Dolan decided not to match the restricted free agents’ offer sheet. Many have maintained, though, that Dolan did not match the offer because he was unhappy that Lin went to the Rockets to get an offer in the first place.

Anthony shrugged off any criticism on the Lin matter. He has, apparently, grown into his role as lightning rod for the Knicks, after being a star at Syracuse and toiling in relative anonymity for the Nuggets.

“It is what it is,” Anthony said. “Anything that happens in New York, they blame me. I accept that. I don’t really worry about it, to be honest with you. Money talks at the end of the day. I said this when we were in Las Vegas, that Houston threw something out there that he couldn’t refuse. He should take it.”

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

There was never any drama between Melo and Lin. They played well together on the court.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Christ, Chandler needs to go back to college and enroll in English 101.

4. carib

carib Member

Sometimes the media likes to stir things up.

Hope that Lin continues his excellent play.

5. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Knicks are now a Carmelo's team. Coach Woodson owes his job to him. If Melo really wanted Lin, Lin wouldn't be a Rocket today.

Rockets owe Melo big time if Lin pans out to be an allstar.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i didn't even realize it while i was reading it initially, butttt yeah that is pretty bad.

7. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I'm enjoying your sarcasm, oh wait did you mean seriously? Uh right we all know Melo can make big time shots but he really is a ball stopper and needs the ball to be effective on the basketball court. He didn't show that he could play off the ball at all and after joining up with Amare he really hasn't done much besides maintained his volume shooting role.

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lol. I am not going to argue this with you on a rockets board. Agree to disagree. But from the games I watched with loved ones the two of them played well together. Ripleys believe it or not.

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Please who buys this...Melo is always drama.

10. 34to11

34to11 Member

Sometimes???

11. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Carmelo sees Lin's value as a teammate, but is extremely jealous of Lin's popularity. He thinks that with Lin gone, he'll become the king of New York. NOT HAPPENING. Maybe next he'll try to find a way to drive Tebow out of New York too. When asked whether he's homesick (being in London), he said "I represent New York now, everywhere I go I take New York with me".

Lin, being a class act, would not say anything bad about anyone, but the fact that he unfollowed two certain Knicks ex-teammates on twitter says a lot about what he thinks.

12. BrentStl

BrentStl Member

Carmelo: “It is what it is,” Anthony said. “Anything that happens in New York, they blame me. I accept that. I don’t really worry about it, to be honest with you.

It begins. Not only has he inherited the spirit of Ewing's crappy jumps shot, he has the heart of Isiah Thomas. Go punch a fire extinguisher.

1 person likes this.
  13. BrentStl

BrentStl Member

By the way, anyone noticed his gut? 'Melo needs to stop eating his feelings.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thats ****ed up on melo, cool that chandler would openly say that melo didn't like him.

15. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

1. You should educate yourself about him first.
    2. Pretty sure being able to speak with correct grammar doesn't matter to anything in his life.

FYI he went pro straight out of high school so he couldn't "go back to college"

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

Who were these ex-teammates that he unfollowed. I assume JR and Melo?

17. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

If the Knicks were 100% certain Carmelo could lead them to a championship w/ the addition of Lin, they probably would have kept him regardless of how Melo felt about it. Melo isn't a great leader, he's a great scorer. The Knicks know that, which is why they still feel like they needed a Nash, Paul, Jason Kidd etc. to make everyone else around them better. Which no one on their roster can currently do.

No offense, but the Rockets don't owe Melo anything. Rockets management are the only ones who should receive credit for this.

#17 BasketballMind, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  18. roxxy

roxxy Member

Thank you. Morey played chess and Dolan played checkers. Houston got there man.

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

If Knicks were 100% certain about their future, they wouldn't be titleless for 40 years. No one is 100% certain about the future. And iIf Dolan really cares about chips and with the way he spent money on max contracts, why is it that they would've won only ONE playoff game in the last decade? Normal logic doesnt apply to Knicks and their owner.

The fact is, Woodson prob wouldnt be Knicks headcoach if it werent for Melo. When a player has the influenct over a headcoach, this is the result of it.

20. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

That speaks volume, non?