1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent Shopping. Who would you take.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MadMonk, Jan 13, 2003.

1. MadMonk

MadMonk Member

From Yahoo Sports -

<b>"A source in Clipperland, where the struggles of the team could cost coach Alvin Gentry his job, says owner Donald Sterling is leaning toward not signing any of the team's high-profile free agents -- C Michael Olowokandi (a forgone conclusion), PF Elton Brand, SF Lamar Odom and PG Andre Miller -- this summer. "</b>

Who should the Rockets pursue assuming they can take on another big contract?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Only Brand. I don't see how the other guys would fit. All Posey and Rice do is shoot 3's and not much else in this system, so Odom wouldn't fit here. There's already too much backcourt scoring anyways. Brand would be perfect with Yao though, what an amazing frontcourt that could be. Yao with the height advantage and passing, Brand with the power and hustle.

3. bencollinsmavs

I thought they made the Miller trade because they thought he had a future trade. Wow, this'll be a great market next year...

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would take Odom since he would be a bigger upgrade than any of the other guys. He could also play point foward which would free up Francis.

5. insider

insider Member

if there's any truth to the above, then expect some trades to be made around the deadline. there's no way, the owner is just going to let them become free agents and get nothing in return.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sterling sold the Clips? I must have missed that.

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Once you go Clippers you don't go back. Translation: Never trade or sign a former Clippers player. MOOOOOOTAAAAAAAAAAAA. Need I say more! :D

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow,

If Sterling lets them all go, the owners will have to look seriously at taking the franchise away from him.

He has to at least try to be competitive, or else it hurts the credibility of the league as a whole.

DD

9. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd shop Brand, Odom and Miller, but I want Odom for point forward, most. That's the best fit to work with Steve and Yao.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd put Brand at the top of the list with Andre Miller second. Not hating on Francis -- just think Miller is the second-best on that squad.

11. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

You need to keep in mind of the price tag when talking about the free agent. No team can afford more than two MAX in current environment, and the Rockets have Francis at the max, Talor and Rice's contract are quite large as well. The only way the Rockets can get a good/quality player is via trading, not free agent market.

IMO, the Rockets don't need to add any new players, all they need is the time to play together for another season or so. If by next year, they cannot show any promise, then you can talk about the trade/change, even the coach.

12. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

If it could all come true?

I'd take Brand definitely! If we could only get him now. And if we could only ship MoT to Seattle for Kenny Anderson and his expiring contract. Supposedly they're dangling him for a 4.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, why MoT?

14. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

i wouldn't pursue any of them even though all but olowakandi are very good players. maybe brand but then we would have to let griifin go and he'd pull a t-mac on the rockets. also after next season we can just dump maurice taylor and moochie in the expansion and then shop, maybe, 0i don't know the rules to wheeling and dealing players in the expansion.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would want all of them except Olowakandi, but we cannot pay any of them.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Even Duh-nold (not so) Sterling and Elgin (Mr GM) Baylor can sign and trade any of these guys and regain assets.

That said, Brand and Odom should get sign and traded here. Well, they should.

17. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

:D :D Ssssshhh...not too loud,the Sonics might hear you.

18. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Don't worry. Teams aren't listening to anything that comes remotely close to MO T.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

When CandyMan leaves for Denver or Miami or wherever, who'll play the ClipPost?

Let's just say Cato and EG = Brand and Odom, and let Les pay the luxury tax!

20. adrian

adrian Member

Resign James Posey and everything is going to be alright.

Adrian