1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Posturing About Keeping Dwight Howard Until Feb. 2013?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 23, 2012.

1. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

He said he respects Houston but doesn't want to play here,want's to go somewhere he can win.

No way would I get stuck for 5 years with a team that I don't wan't to play for.5 years seems like a very long time when you're 26 .. He's already worth 75mil and endorsement money will be around for a very long time...Would he sacrifice dollars to go somewhere he thinks makes him happy ? I'd say it's about 50/50 . Who knows .. dude seems kind of flaky so anything is possible.

2. Machado

Machado Member

Rob Hennigan is toying with Daryl Morey. Good ol' Rob wants to get a look at Lamb and Motiejunas against real NBA competition for the first half of the season.

The super sad part is....

Morey will STILL trade for Howard in February, giving up a very promising future in the process.

1 person likes this.
  3. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Ahh, thanks. I could have sworn I heard (out of the one ear that was listening while the TV was on) that he was talking to Kupchak.

4. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Wouldn't be so sure of this .. If one or more of the rookies are playing well against true competition,Alexander may fear making another Lin mistake and pull the plug.

5. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Getting Howard by trading more than the deal on the table lowers Howard's value to Houston. If we give up more, it becomes harder to convince Howard to stay.

Hennigan is trying to pull what Jimmy McNulty did in Season 5 of the Wire--using a hack reporter (Broussard) to play up a fake story.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Rudolph said that. He also said he got it all from his sources and not Howard himself.

7. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

A significant portion of our trade offer hinges on our ability to trade them non-guaranteed contracts for their unwanted trash. The longer this drags on, the closer we get to the day when we have to start waiving those players. I'm not sure what the deadline to waive those players is, but look for a deal to be consummated before that time. I doubt they have any intention of letting this drag on past those dates.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Also then "Dwight respects Morey stuff" sounds like a softening of his position.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Howard won't be in Orlando when training camp starts. No way, no how. Pure bluff by Henny.

10. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

That's the main questionnable point here regarding Hennigan's strategy. I think somebody calculated that the Rockets currently have something like 6 Mil $ in unguaranteed little contracts. That equals to a guy like Richardson's salary and is an important part of the Rockets package appeal. If this drags out until the season starts, Hennigan is lowering the value of the Rockets offer and not the other way around. He is shooting himself in the foot.
    Those contracts are generally guanranteed once the preseason is over.

1 person likes this.
  11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

There you go, Carl. After a period of bewilderment, I am now more impressed with Morey. Obviously the deal has not yet been consummated because Morey is not willing to give our farm to Orlando for what is likely to be a rental.

12. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Howard makes 12 million last year on endorsements. In NBA the endorsements a player receives are directly proportional to his performance on court. The minute a player retires, most endorsements will seize to exist.

LeBron 30 million
    KG 14 million
    D Wade 14 Million
    Howard 12 million

On a side note on endorsements, I ran across this article from respected Forbes Magazine.
    Jeremy Lin May Be The Dumbest Harvard Grad Ever
    Big market helps but it's not an important factor. Out of top 10 American athletes who earned the most from endorsements last year, none are from New York. Carmelo went from Denver to Knicks and his endorsements remained unchanged.

NY media is toxic. They write articles without sufficient research. IMO this article is by far the DUMBEST and the most arrogant ever written by a respected NY magazine.

13. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Orlando has more to lose here compared to other teams. We should wait it out and make them cave in. Martin+Morris+future picks and thats it, forget about taking on Hedo, Fat Davis or Old Richardson. If they dont want it then buck em.

1 person likes this.
  14. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

:cool: :grin: :p

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Why do people keep saying this? I thought you couldn't sign and trade a max contract in the new CBA?

16. cml750

cml750 Member

What if his back injury makes him somewhere between 50 - 75% of the player he once was. There is no way we need to give up a bunch or take back a bunch of crap with the state of his back injury up in the air. We only acquire him now if we get him cheap (Martin, Morris, Toronto first, and ZERO bad contracts coming back). There is no way we should gamble he will be the player he once was if it cost us all our young talent and also taking back Orlando's contract mistakes. Waiting until the trade deadline will allow us to see if he is the same player he was. A 100% Dwight is worth a lot. A 75% Dwight while still good is not worth as much. Everyone says he is all about the money so if that is true he will resign with us whether we get him now or the trade deadline. His back injury is BY FAR the bigger gamble.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He actually died last month :(
    [​IMG]

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

More below(that might help regarding S&T or Carl, Bima, HMMHMMM, &/or aelliott can chime in):

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q90
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q91

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Chill Dudes, this is just SOP for this level negotiation. We still have all the marbles, and the deadline's are theirs. As our unguaranteed contracts get cut, we can take back less of their bad contracts.

I've still got August 24th in the pool.

20. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Mike Bianchi: Chris Broussard of #ESPN according to "sources": #Magic will only trade Dwight if they get a good deal. What a scoop! about 32 minutes ago

LOL