1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola: Rockets told him they will be nothing the next 3-4 years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Jul 23, 2012.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Seriously, if Dwight + magic cast-offs + remaining players then how good would Dwight be for this team to even squeak into the p/o? It leaves me feeling very uneasy.

If DM the GM can pull DH12 out of his Magic hat AND get some pieces to fill in around him quickly enough to matter then I will be in awe.

2. Possum

Possum Member

I used the Heat and Thunder as examples because of the contrasting ways they were built. One through the draft (Thunder) and the other by basically buying players (Heat).

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

yes, i understood. it's a fair general point.

but of those specific two, i'd personally have a hard time rooting for either. In fact, I feel a little better about the Heat.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL maybe DM was playing word games and fooled the Argentinean

5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

It's just his english.

It's obvious he meant that the Rockets won't be very competitive for the next 3-4 years.

I just hope we position ourselves to be able to draft one of the high upside center's in next years draft. #HopingForNerlensNoel !

6. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

Here's how I figure it all:

The Rockets are covering themselves either way. They are fielding a talented (but very young) team from which they hope to develop a few very good (or even excellent) players. They are massing a bunch of draft picks in addition, all in the hope of landing a superstar player or (failing that) to use themselves to bring in even more young talent. Lin is on the team because he is young but also because he brings media attention to the team. Without Lin, the press would probably continue to ignore Houston like they have for a long time now. This attention should help the Rockets, especially if they are fielding a competitive team of young guys. Some free agent star may look at the team and say "I'm the missing piece in their puzzle and I believe the Rockets could go far if I join the team".

Lin also helps in attracting said star player. Asian countries will be giving out big time shoe deals to most guys on Lin's team so a star player can expect to get a HUGE contract and become a popular player not only here in the West but in the East, too.

If they don't ever get an outside superstar then they will continue developing their own guys and hope to get lucky in the draft the next few years. This course of action will probably take longer, like the "3 or 4 years" Scola mentioned.

Of course a lot of things have to fall into place for it all to work. But Houston doesn't have the natural advantages cities like LA & NY have so this is the route they must take...