1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember the Titans?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by TheHorns, Jan 11, 2003.

?

How do you feel about them now?

1. Ex-wife – left me, sleeping w/ someone else and I could care less

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. Ex-wife – left me, sleeping w/ someone else and hope they get screwed... I want them to suffer

30 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. Baby’s momma – once he’s 18 (the players are gone) I won’t care

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Baby’s momma – no longer mine but will always have a bond

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. I am whipped, still in love.

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I picked "Baby’s momma – no longer mine but will always have a bond". This only applies when they aren't playing the Bears, Texans, or Cowboys. Then I hate them.

2. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Aside from the Jets game last week (nothing against the J - E - T S, it just was a blowout) and the 4th quarter of the Eagles game this week, I would have to say that the NFL Playoff games have been the most compelling & entertaining playoff games I can recall.

Add to that the BCS game and we have had some damn good football! I could use another day's worth!!

"NO NO!!!!" screams my liver.

3. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

Titans win!

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Love 'em. See ya in the superbowl with another poll.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Best 400 million this city ever spent. I wish they would have spent another 100 million to assist the thirty or forty remaining fans to move to Tennessee.

6. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

If you think they are going to be ther are you going to give us a prediction on that game too. I would not mind placing some friendly wagers.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Titans 27 Raiders 24
    Titans 28 Buccaneers 23

I try not to bet on my team, but that being said, when I was in Vegas I put down some money on the Titans winning the superbowl. They were 1-4 at the time. Let's just say IF they win I'll be really really happy for all kinds of reasons.

8. Sonny

I will be pulling for the Titans now since the Jets are out of it.

Titans will beat Oakland and play Philly in the Superbowl.

Titans 27
    Raiders 17

Titans 30
    Eagles 28

I doubt the actual scores will be anywhere close to my predictions, but the winner will still be the same. :)

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

The Titans are going to get rolled by the Raiders. (I hope)

10. drapg

drapg Member

Damn, I'd take that money in a heartbeat. Thats over $2 million per fan! Where do I sign up?

11. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

lol... that was a good one, I think I would become a diehard myself.

Hey, let me ask you something. The rules are the rules and the Titans won by the rules, but fan of the Titans or not, don't you think the overtime rules are a bunch of ****.

I know you are happy with the result, but take yourself away from that game or look at it from the point of a team that fought for 60 minutes came back from 14 down and they do not get a chance to touch the ball in overtime. That rule HAS TO change.

Avery close friend who is a HUGE Titans fan (even went to 2 games in Tenn this year) said before the coin flip in overtime that he hoped both teams at least got to touch the ball so it would seem a little more fair.

12. drapg

drapg Member

Here's my point of view on the NFL's overtime rules: Leave them as they are.

I don't agree with the basis that if one team wins a coin toss and scores on the opening drive, it is unfair to the other team. Let's say Team X wins the cointoss and chooses to have the ball. This puts Team Y on defense. Now its not like Team X has the ball unopposed and is marching down the field. Team Y's defense is on the field and their job is to stop Team X. Team Y does have a chance to score, as long as their defense does the job they are supposed to do. If Team X scores, than Team Y's defense failed at its job and doesn't deserve to win. People tend to forget that defenses are supposed to stop the opposing offense in overtime and that the opposing offense isn't scoring at will. I know this sounded jumbled up, but I don't know how to properly articulate it. I could explain it in spoken verse much more clearly.

Secondly, many people say the NFL should follow suit with the NBA and institute a 15 minute timed OT. This is ludicrous. Football is the most strenuous sport on the human body (in the U.S.). After 60 minutes of smash mouth football, the body is tired, weak, and ill equipped to play much more without injuries setting in.

Others say that both teams should get the ball on offense once, than it should be first to score wins if the game still is a tie. This goes back to my first argument about how defenses are supposed to stop offenses. On top of that, it takes away from some of the mystique of NFL overtime games. The sudden death format is what makes the NFL intriguing and overtime games some of the most exciting moments in sports. This fact doesn't hurt TV ratings one bit, which of course affects the bottom line (money).

College OT rules? Plain silly. The teams basically start in field goal range. Dumbest idea I've ever seen.

That's my $.02

First of all, football is the most tiresome and strenuous sport played in this country.

13. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

I think that if you polled every player in the league on whether they would be willing to go out there and take the extra pounding to make sure that the best team won as opposed to giving a team that wins the toss the only chance (granted, they do have to go against the D) of winning and you never get to touch the ball, it would be minimum 2 to 1 players for both teams touching the ball.

You ask the Titans, who benefited from the current rules, and they would vote the same way. Next week they could be on the wrong side of the coin.

I do not like to college rule, nor do I think the NBA rule would work. The only thing I would say is if the team that wins the toss goes down and scores on the first possession then they should kick off and make their D prove they could stop the other team.

That would prevent the argument and would also keep a team from kicking the field goal on second down.

14. drapg

drapg Member

I did some bad editing of my post. That last sentence was part of my second paragraph, but mysteriously dropped to the bottom.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

1) I wouldn't want to lose on running into kicker. I'll give you that, but the rule is there to protect a vulnerable player. So I see the point of it.

2) OT is perfect.

a. As was said earlier, the Pitt defense had a chance to stop us. So in effect they are getting the chance to touch the football. They are on the field too. Both teams take the field.

Is it fair that Tenn had to go AGAINST the WIND. A wind that caused them two int's and a grand total of 3 points in 2 quarters. That is football. Both teams had obtacles to overcome.

b. It's not fair if Tenn scores a FG and then Pittsburgh now has a chance to touch the ball. Let me tell you why. Pittsburgh will have FOUR downs to move the ball all the way down the field. NOT THREE. They get FOUR. That is not equitable either. It give Pittsburgh the advantage. It's much easier to move the ball when you have 4 downs. End of story.

c. Having read b, you can only safely say that a 15 minute overtime is fair, but the players would be dog tired. and is that fair?

d. College overtime - see b. One team always has 4 downs.

16. Sonny

How does college OT work if this scenario occurred?

Team A starts OT with the ball, they throw a pick and Team B returns it for a TD. Is it over? Can team B even return the pick or does that automatically stop the game and Team B now has the ball and gets a chance to score just like team A did?

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Same old Oilers!

They will choke it one way or another. Didn't they miss a couple of field goals last year? And all those last second charades with the 3 field goal attempts, and the fireworks, and the Pittsburgh kicker running into actor/kicker Nedney, well that's just building up the bad karma and foreshadowing something bad happening to them next week!

Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers #1!

18. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

It happened in a game on ESPN this year and I believe that once the pick happens the play is dead, the team with the pick moves to the other end of the field and the team throwing the pick is treated as though they did not score.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i kept saying the same thing the other day watching the game! up by 14...lose the lead...up by 8 in the 4th quarter..lose the lead...botched field goal at end of game...the only thing missing was the "L." which will likely come this weekend.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I see we have a few here that probably started rooting for the Cowboys after the Buffalo game in '92.

The overtime system is fine. Just pull out the stats, and I believe you'll see that it's about 50/50 as far as the chances of the team winning the toss winning the game. And the chances are even lower of even scoring without the other team getting the ball. Both teams play under the same rules, it's ridiculous to whine about "not getting the ball" in overtime.

#40 TheFreak, Jan 13, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2003