1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey annoyed during SR610 interview.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dram1, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

We are treading water. The past 3 seasons we have had 14th pick. Now I know we have a lot younger team but we are still treading water until this team proves they suck or are great.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think they should suck next season. We lost Scola, Dragic, Lowery, Lee, and CBud. However, I only see a lottery pick in the 5-10 range with the current roster, and not in the top 5.

3. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

They replayed the interview this morning in its entirety so I got to hear it again.

I am not so sure Morey was completely innocent in all of this. There is likely some bad blood between 610 and the Rockets since they switched stations. It may go to Morey's first response to the questions by Rich Lord.

Rich asked about he lack of success over the past few years. Morey responded with "what do you define as lack of success". Rich replied with a .500 record and no playoffs in the past 3 years and Morey quickly chimed in "oh i thought you meant that we havent been able get a super star"
    This may go to one of the reasons that 610 did not renew their contract with the Rockets (that and the monster money they paid to broadcast the Texans)

After that point Moreys line about "ask some tough questions" just gave Josh a reason to do what he typically does.... act like an idiot. I thought Morey did an excellent job fielding Josh's criticisms after that point, but I think that initial response is what got Josh going.

When 790 announced that they were going to be the new home for the Rockets I could not have been more excited. The less I have to listen to 610 the better.

4. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

There is so much ego in radio, nothing surprises me.

5. teampunjabi

teampunjabi Member

Yeah I felt like Morey took out some anger and frustration hes had about 610 and their baseless hating in the past. I have no problem with criticizing but I feel like 610 is more entertainment than sports talk but that's just my overall feel. I think Josh is hilarious though but I bet I probably know more sports than him.

6. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

??? Your confused

" We gave up a lot of points to but we scored a lot of points"
    That sounds like Ewing, "we make a lot of money but we spend a lot of money too"

Adelman was not a good defensive coach.

7. thekad

thekad Member

What's the use of cap room if no superstars even want to play in Houston? What's the use of middling draft picks if they won't land us a superstar? What's the use of a bunch of prospects if none of them have superstar potential?

Sounds like treading water to me.

But, who knows, maybe Morey has learned his lesson and is preparing to tank for a top pick.

8. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I agree Josh can be funny at some times but its more enterntainment than sports. I listened one day and I think Josh went an entire hour without 1 word on sports. Thats when it becomes a problem.

I like hearing some interesting non sports items from time to time but the reason I tune in to any SPORTS radio its to hear SPORTS. I feel like I do not get that any more from 610.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Guess who's back? Just leave us alone, DD LOL

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Charlie Pallilo did Rockets post-game radio show after each game during our 2 championships. Matt Thomas was the arena announcer, so we are getting hosts who can relive our glory years.

1 person likes this.
  11. dram1

dram1 Member

Innes is a scab picker. He see's sore on someone's leg, and instead of saying "oh, dude get some neosporin on that thing," he takes a stick and rips the scab off and laughs at the fact that it's bleeding.

No doubt the Rockets have struggled. But if they were to go on a 10-game winning streak, the before-photo-on-Biggest-Loser Innes would be the first to say, "yeah, but the fact is they haven't played anybody."

A cancer patient can say, "OMG, the Doc says I am cancer free after chemo!"

Josh Innes: "Yeah, but your not completely out of the woods yet. It could return any minute."

That's just the way he is. He calls it honesty...society calls it douche-baggery.

Maybe this is the product of spending so much time alone, being neglected, while Daddy was off helping Fred and the gang crack mystery cases..."Like How 'bout a Scooby Snack!"

12. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

And this is why Morey keeps his job until 2049...

The question was rude? Wow...really?

Heard sports talk on Sirius or any NYC/Boston/LA radio stations?

13. underrated015

underrated015 Member

losing charlie. matt, and adam to 790 was the worst thing to happen to 610.

14. dram1

dram1 Member

I thought John and Lance were pretty good too.

15. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Based off what? Your poor observations?

Its basketball 101. We played at a faster pace under RA being undersized. When you create extra possessions, you give up more points (ex: Phoenix). You wanna criticize but obviously dont know much about basketball. I advise you to stick analytical stats

16. conquistador#11

True but his point was that no other team treading in water can have what it takes to get you howard or bynum. Which, as it stands, maury has all the cards to get them here. Making them stay, well you've seen how big of a vj Dwight is.

As to always picking 14, we haven't missed on much. there hasn't been a franchise changing player in the past three years.

17. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I agree with most of this. As soon as Josh came on the air Morey said "we won't need to duct tape and drag a superstar to Houston." Morey was referring to something Josh had said previously and Daryl was annoyed by it before even starting this interview

All that being said I can't stand Josh. How does somebody have an ego like that when he isn't even good?

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Rich Lord is very bad from the beginning, and 610 becomes bad in each another day.

19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Dude, you really need to get over your infatuation with Bynum. Bynum will be another Yao or Tracy in a couple of years. Big injury ready to happen.

20. aristophanes34

No doubt... He was frustrated from jump street during the interview. What bothered me this AM, was the way Innes & BStraw broke down the interview. I felt they were misconstruing many of Morey's comments and both were being disingenuous. For example, Morey's answer to the question "by what measure will you consider this offseason a success?" was "I feel it's a success if we have made ourselves more likely to compete for a championship in the next 2-5 years." Both commented that this point was laughable. BStraw commented that in fact the team will be worse next year.

To me this was irresponsible and reflects poorly on them.

1. Morey didn't say the Rockets would be better or compete for a championship next year which is how they characterized his answer.

2. Without changes, the team of the last few years had zero chance of competing for a championship going forward, so the current shake-up/rebuild which has both created roster flexibility and an infusion of youth does reset the window. True... You may dip before improving, and this team as is may not compete for a playoff spot like they have the last few years, but the future with the possibility of moves to come looks brighter today. In fact, I don't see how anyone can't see that currently the Rockets chances of making a deep run at some point in the next 5 years IS in fact greater today than it was 2 months ago.

And there were a few others I won't waste time going over...

Either they are deliberately misrepresenting his comment (creating a strawman to kick) or they are short-sighted and did not fully understand his comment. Of course, this isn't surprising from Innes. He argues like he's teaching a logical fallacies 101 course. "Ohhh yeah.... Well (insert two bandwagons a non sequitur an ad hominem and a false dilemma) you idiots." But I was surprised by BStraw. He usually comes across more thoughtful than this. I hope he's not just being an Innes lackey... That would be pathetic.