1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do people think we will be bad this year if we don't trade for Howard/Bynum?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Jul 20, 2012.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We could easily end up with a top 5 pick from Toronto.

2. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Because Bynum is the ONLY potential superstar that's stupid enough to sign here long term. Your not getting a guy better or as good next year or the year after. STOP OVERRATING our rookies. Yall do this crap every year then tear them down when they meet your unreasonable expectations. Bynum or Bust

3. cogs

cogs Member

Bynum = Tracy Mcgrady. He will not stay healthy long term. There is a better chance of getting DH and hoping he signs than putting all our eggs in a basket for a 5 year contract on someone with broken knees. Nothing is going to be more frustrating than getting another big name that will never be 100% and will get worse each year. I would rather stick to the rookies than get Bynum.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

STRONGLY doubt that. Toronto looks like a solid team with lots of young talent surrounding a good Lowry/Bargnani duo. I see Toronto falling around the back end of the lottery, similar to us.

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Every year? Your account was created last month. How would you know that?

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So spend those two late lottery picks on very good defensive role players to add to our young team. Thats how you rebuild without getting a high draft pick.
    I personally think Lamb will be close to a superstar. You already have good pieces around him.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He has been lurking in the weeds.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Way too optimistic based on Summer League for a #12 pick. Only guy who projects to be a superstar in the 2012 draft class is Anthony Davis.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why would we be bad?

Well we got worse offensively at the C position no matter who is playing there and we got worse offensively at the 4. We lost a lot of hustle and professionalism. We will be terrible defensively at the guard positions. Our PG play will probably be worse. Our shooting will be worse. On top of it all we will have rookies on the floor a lot of the time and they will make rookie mistakes.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think it's fare to say that we will be lotto-bound if we go into the season with our roster as currently constructed (including Asik). Where in the 1-14 range, it's hard to say. The reason why i think we are surely lotto-bound is that the NBA has a history of being tough on youth, and we will have to rely heavily on our rookies if we keep the roster as is. Sure our 5 starters won't be rookies, but they are far from Allstar players. Pat probably shouldn't be starting. This will be Asik's first year playing over 15 minutes a game. Parsons is only in his 2nd year. Martin can still be a near-Allstar type player, but is coming off of injury. I expect Lin to play very well. Still, when you look at it objectively, we don't really have the fire-power to be a playoff team. Scola, Dragic, Lee, and Lowry are gone. Frankly, those were the guys that gave us a shot at the playoffs last year. My prediction (with the current roster) is the #9 pick.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

We'll be worse, but we're not going to be as bad as people think. All I'm saying is a #11 pick is a MUCH more reasonable expectation than a #5 pick.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I doubt that he would just come from lurking to trolling that fast. In fact, he posts just like DD.

13. rocketseagles07

So name the teams in the west that we're better than...

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes, Davis is projected to be a superstar, but not anytime soon. Lamb will have a better 1st two seasons.
    Yes, i am judging them by their summer leagues performances. So are all the other experts. You know, the ones who have Lamb, Jones and D-Mo ranked in the top 10 of the rookie ladder?
    The only ones who downplay their summer league performances are people who want Dwight to destroy their team.

15. daytripper

daytripper Member

Thank you. This is a much better idea than renting a pouty Howard or dealing off youngins for gimpy kneed Bynum. Would much prefer to add a top 5 pick. Look at New Orleans' future with Anthony Davis. Sure it takes one season of pain but as a consolation we will see the young kids grow with playing time. I don't want the bad attitudes of Dwight or Bynum to rub off on the young team.

If Les was so butthurt about losing Lin to NY last season just imagine his angst when Lamb, White and Jones are blowing up in Orlando while Dwight or Bynum are pouting here on the injured list.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

No the ones who downplay their summer league performances are the ones who understand that it's a tiny sample size against inferior competition. Which is common sense.

Or did you think Chris Johnson was going to be a superstar for the Astros based on his Spring Training numbers?

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lottery team without Dwight or Bynum. Too inexperienced and half of our starting lineup is brand new. Might be fun to watch but it could get ugly.

18. rocketseagles07

Lol exactly. Fans are going overboard about the SL performances. There have been plenty of players kill it in the SL and barely make it off the bench when the season starts.

19. bberge

bberge Member

i'm totally with op. i don't see us being bottom-five team with our current roster unless we shut martin down, and I don't think we will, because we face real pressure to justify the lin contract and maintain his marketability. we have enough raw talent to outclass the bottom third of the league. and i don't see the advantage of amassing more pretty-good-but-not-great lottery picks.

20. daytripper

daytripper Member

Yes this would be the season to 'tank.' Trade Martin and let the young kids grow while taking their lumps during the long season. Add in a top 5 pick (Noel, Shabazz, C. Zeller, Wiggins, etc). Next year's draft won't be deep but there are a few potential studs at the very top. I doubt Les/Morey have the patience to do this but long term it's probably the best strategy. The Rockets aren't competing with the Heat/Thunder/Lakers/Celtics for a ring next season anyway. Might as well get set up to take over when the windows close for a few of those teams.