1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sampson applies for a Rockets job?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CY02, Jan 11, 2003.

1. CY02

CY02 Member

Yao and Ralph

Ralph Sampson finally found a successor as a Rockets center with whom he could see eye to almost eye.

The first player taken in the 1983 draft by the Rockets met the first player taken in the 2002 draft by the Rockets, Yao Ming. After a brief postgame chat with Yao, the 7-foot-4 former Rockets center said he would love a chance to see more of the 7-foot-5 current Rockets center.

"If I work with him a little bit, he could be pretty good," Sampson said. "He's pretty good now, but there are some things I know being a 7-footer -- putting the ball on the ground, staying big, technical stuff that hopefully he'll learn over time. His got great size, great hands, a good shooting touch.

"He's still learning the game to a certain extend, but Rudy (Tomjanovich) is handling him very well.

"I wish I could work with him a little bit because I could teach him a few things on and off the court."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/rox/1732332

2. kobo

kobo Member

I'm all for it. Show Rudy the door.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know, it is possible for Ralph to teach Ming and for Rudy to stay employed as coach.

4. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Ralph could put the ball on the floor better than anyone his size, ever...he seems ideal as a tutor for Yao. He's been there and done that. Can't see how the Rockets can pass up this offer.

5. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

I would love for Ralph to come in as a consultant or assistant coach and train Yao. They have a lot of similarities as far as height, shooting skills, athleticism and such. If Ralph can help Yao develop more quickly then it would be an investment that Les should definitely look into. I think Yao can related to Ralph more because of their similarities. I think Ralph can teach Yao more than any of the coach that the Rocket currently have because they both play similiar styles and also play the same position.

6. New Jack

New Jack Member

Maybe, while he's there helping Yao, he could give Eddie some help as well. One's of Eddie's main weaknesses is not knowing how to dribble. I'm sure Sampson could give him a little help there.

7. insider

insider Member

they should hire both hakeem and sampson as coaches in the offseason. hopefully yao will get to work with both in the next training camp.

8. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

Man it would be great to see Hakeem and Ralph brainwashing him.

9. sun12

sun12 Member

Wizards hired Ewing to coach Brown, we can do the same thing here. Just hire some ex-center to help our big men.

10. aries323

aries323 Member

I'd rather see Hakeem teaching Yao some moves instead of Sampson.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I would like to submit my vote here and now to recruit Ralph and Hakeem to run an exclusive Rocket big man camp for Yao, Cato, Griffin, Taylor and Collier.

They could teach footwork, stuffing, boxing out, how to stick an elbow in the ear of an abusive opponent and all the other things big men need to know.

12. insider

insider Member

they should also hire kareem abdul jabbar as a coach for yao.

13. myputersux

myputersux Member

try watching the games...Eddie knows how when he takes the initative to do it...he did in the previous 2 games before last nights debacle...

14. adrian

adrian Member

When MJ retires they should hire him to teach our guards a little something. Ha Ha

Adrian

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think Rocketfat might have a double moniker.

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Agree with almost everything except that he actually did good last night.

17. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

I would definitely support Ralph coaching with the Rockets. I also would love to see Hakeem but as it has been said numerous times already on this BBS, he hasn't shown a desire to coach. I just hope Ralph doesn't join the Rockets and change his mind about coaching Yao, saying he's a big man who wants to coach the guards. ;)

18. nineteen

nineteen Member

Kobo,

Love It! First, Ralph has to be promoted from video room to the coaching staff! If he joins the staff, he will be the smartest coach on the team. Shame!

19. true2Dream

true2Dream Member

This is something I've thought of and actually suggested several times....Sampson would be a great coach for Yao!!! Sign him NOW!! This is a no-brainer.

20. carayip

carayip Member

Sampson yes. Hakeem no. Dream has said he didn't want to coach and we don't want Yao to learn his crappy language, do we? ;)