1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Series] Newsroom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Jul 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Got caught up last night, have enjoyed it more and more with each passing episode.

2. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

1 person likes this.
  3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It was, until this past Sunday when Breaking Bad started back up.

4. Ming Dynasty

Ming Dynasty Member

Same here, but mine is vastly diminished. I loved Sports Night. But Sorkin writes the same damn way in all these TV shows.

The smug self-righteousness was cute originally since it sounded so unique to most everything else, but it's tiresome to me now.

5. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

i'm surprised it's on HBO...doesn;t seem like he'll use the extra rope

+, quoting one of his characters who was championing being on mainstreamTV over HBO "Pericles once said 'All things good should flow into the boulevard' "

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Count me in. Love this show. Entertaining. Jeff Daniels plays it well IMO. This could become what he is known for. Love the pacing as well. I'm hooked.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Watched it all yesterday. Awesome show. I don't think there's anything wrong with using hindsight, it's a good way to learn lessons, kind of a case study of how things could have been done differently. I wonder if the show will continue to use real news in parallel with real outcomes, or if they will later begin incorporating possible effects of this newsroom on outcomes.

I think it will at least cause a lot of people in the industry to re-think their values for a split second, and maybe even inspire some people to replicate the overarching idea. I learned a thing or two, for example I did not know about the Koch family.

I'm choosing between studying film-making and journalism. This show confused me more than I already was.

8. kona-

kona- Member

I caught up today and I have to say I love the show... Hooked...

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

10. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I was looking around on YouTube the other day, and I came across this video called "The Most Honest Three and a Half Minutes on Television" or something like that. It was the opening scene from this show where those three people were talking to the college students.

Anyways, I was intrigued by that clip... and I saw the full first episode was on the side, so I watched it.

And I loved it. So I watched the rest of the episodes, and I'm definitely hooked. I mean, there just aren't many times when I literally fist pump during a tv show, but I did at the end of the last episode. Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterston are ****ing awesome.

11. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

The fast talking that Moe's mentioned took a bit getting used to but I am absolutely hooked on this show.

Jeff Daniels is outstanding in this and the other characters are starting to grow on me.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Another good episode last night.

What is it about the gossip writer that makes me want to smash her face?

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Yeah, that scene with Will and the gossip writer in the bar was great. Jeff Daniels kicks ass.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S78RzZr3IwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Olivia Munn tests my mental fortitude while fasting.

16. lpbman

lpbman Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YnPgHsVJ5rw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That wouldn't even break my fortitude on a regular day haha Nice try though

I thought last episode was pretty good. I hate watching shows while they're on-going. What did you guys think? I did not life how they fixed the Japan-related problem honestly, they should have come up with something that wouldn't sacrifice their principles.

18. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

No I think that was the point - to show that they aren't perfect and sometimes have to sacrifice their credibility for the greater good which in this case was protecting sloan and saving the job of her source

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Finally watched it.

It was a good episode. Not at the level of the last two but still good. I was kind of wondering when they would start using Olivia Munn more.

20. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Newsroom is probably the best show on television besides Mad Men. I thoroughly enjoy watching it.