1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bulls tell Morey today they will NOT match Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jul 18, 2012.

1. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Cyber, any thoughts on Tony Mejia, the Orlando based writer for Pro Basketball News.com?

He seems fairly credible and doesn't report nonsense. Seems to use common sense.

He's been of the mindset that Dwight either goes to Houston or possibly to LA but THROUGH Houston. Doesn't buy into any Cleveland talk at all.

A few of us (Jop, Orem, me, etc) have also felt this was definitely the case.

Obviously, anything can happen, but just wanted your take/thoughts.

2. Nero

Nero Member

Most likely based upon the assumption of more national exposure, more nationally televised games, etc.

But with Howard in Houston alongside Lin and maybe Smith, something tells me the Rockets would be on national tv a lot more, especially when it comes time to play against, oh, the Knicks and the Lakers and the Heat, oh and the Bulls too, just to name a few...

3. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Also thought I'd ask for your opinion on what the perception of Lin is with the PLAYERS?

Sure, there are likely a lot of players "jealous" of his contract and the attention he receives, but what are your feelings about players possible wanting to play with him for future/possible endorsements and exposure?

Many won't want to be involved, but are there some or any that do? (in your opinion)

4. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

It's already been said that Lin saved over 3m in income tax by signing with Houston. So actually Dwight would make more NBA money in Houston. As far as indorsements go, I think he would do pretty well now that we have Lin on board and we are on the rise again in the international market. I'm sure his addidas sponsors wouldn't be that upset if he signed with Houston. Also, I love it how Dwight was overwhelmed by the adoration of LA fans when everyone else in the world is seemingly against him. Of course they are going to show him love, they think he is about to be part of their team. He would get that same kind of love in Houston. All of this is just another example of West coast bias and agents telling their clients things that will get him to go where the agent wants them to go.

5. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I kinda understand what your'e saying but Im' just thinking that Adidas would be able to show commercials, post ads, other advertising methods ad nauseum regarding Dwight.

Wouldn't this mean Dwight could/would get the same amount of endorsement related money regardless of where he is?

6. cyberx

cyberx Member

Big market such as LA means more stardom. More TV time... Playoffs etc... Guys Lakers Exhibition games are sometimes natl televised. What are most fans around the world? Go to Europe, most will say Lakers. Wasn't Kobes the number 1 selling jersey in China? LAKERS have that POWER, no matter what anyone says or does. People didn't know who Gasol was until he wore a Lakers uni.

7. cyberx

cyberx Member

Don't know him so I can't say a thing about him.

8. C1UTCH-C1TY

C1UTCH-C1TY Member

THIS.

asik is a nice defensive player, but he is in no way worth this contract. i can't believe how desperate people on here are to get asik, who would be a backup center getting 20 mins(if that) of play time if we were to get bynum/howard.

i hope bulls match the offer.

9. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Getting (maybe) 20 mins a night, other than the nights Dwight sits out due to "back spasms" or Bynum misses with "knee soreness".

It's not about being in Morey's camp or desperate.

He's a just turned 26 year old legit seven footer, who is defensive minded and agile for his size.

His defensive ratings are outstanding, especially playing the pick and roll, which is so much of what the league is about. (other than the few times Sam was REALLY motivated last year, we have struggled here for years)

While he won't give much of anything offensively, he CAN and will protect the paint.

I trust Morey and one of the best defensive coaches in the league (Thibs) a lot more than people on this board.

His main challenge will be staying out of foul trouble. Let's hope McHale can help him with that.

As far as the contract, have you seen what big men get in this league?

To have him UNDER market value - at 5Mish per season for two of the three years, is great. KEVIN MARTIN's expiring contract is likely going to play a huge role in us acquiring Howard or Bynum.

Worst case scenario, if he doesn't pan out, we have a LARGE expiring contract that will likely be attractive to several teams, helping to bring us a star or at least draft picks.

It's really a no brainer to go after this guy.

10. cyberx

cyberx Member

Just got some news....

Rockets made an offer that they think was fair recently.

Magic are just "waiting" trying to set the bar.

I don't know what the offer was... But there was one.

1 person likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

For Dwight straight up? Or using us as a facilitator? Also, the Asik process will not have any kind of bearing on negotiations?

12. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Hes a hedge against the possibility of the Howard\Bynum deal falling through, or if Dwight bolts after next season. The rockets have nothing at the center position and it wouldn't be wise to just assume that we would be able to complete a trade for either Howard or Bynum. Just look at what happened during the draft.

If you look at Asik's numbers last year and automatically assume that it would be impossible for him to improve and increase his minutes, then no, he wouldn't be worth his contract. On the other hand, if his productivity stays the same or increases with more playing time, then he is easily worth his contract, just look at the going rate for centers these days. Its a risk, there are no guarantees that he can keep his up production with more playing time, but its a risk worth taking to find a potential starter at the C position.

13. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

yuuup, sad isnt it?

14. Dude1988

Dude1988 Member

Im pretty sure 2/3 of our 1st round picks were involved in that. Dont see a chance we get to keep Lamb if we get Dwight.

15. cyberx

cyberx Member

Various deals! Gave options

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

More confirmation that the Rockets are setting the pace/market price on this trade. Everybody else is playing catch-up.

Morey did his homework for years, now comes the exam, and he's prepared.

The Lakers are the cool kid in class who slacks around and is trying to use the resident nerd/loser (Cavs/Gilbert) to help him pass the test at the last minute.

17. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

What exactly does just "waiting" mean? Are they going back to the Cavs and seeing if they will top the offer or they going to shelve it for a couple days and wait to see if a better offer comes along?

18. cyberx

cyberx Member

From my understanding, yes.

19. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

hey hey you said A deal so I was assuming it was just one. I don't know the intricacies of how trade negotiations work like you do; we can't all be insiders!;)

20. cyberx

cyberx Member

Here is option:
    A
    B
    C

Pick...