1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchCity.net Game Thread: Rockets @ Hawks 1/10/2003

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 9, 2003.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Obviously, here's what you people don't understand. Basketball, like any other sport, is a dynamic game. sometimes your jumper is off, other times you miss a pass by an inch and others your ground rule double is a diving catch.

So, leave the records out of this. Atlanta has just as many superstars and role players as the Rockets do. Furthermore, despite his awesome game, there isn't a GM in the league that would value Terry over Francis and arguably Terry over Mobley.

What we do know is that this Rocket team is inconsistent. But, I assure, we'll regret the day that we wish to trade Steve or Cuttino.

2. gr8-1

If it's either or, I'll pick Rudy.

3. CY02

CY02 Member

Basketball is a team game and the result is determined by a lot of factors. Why do people always pick out the same suspects (Rudy, Steve) after every loss? :mad:

Supporters are supposed to support!

4. gr8-1

We missed a ton of lay ups and a ton of free throws. Before you guys want to ship steve off to Golden State, remember, he is one of four players that averaged 20/6/6 in his first four years and the only one to do it last year. Maybe you should recognize what we have.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I agree. And if Rudy has to stay, then I'd rather Cuttino go than Steve.

6. feishen

feishen Member

Man, I hate Mobeley when he hogs the ball, does the cross over, and shoot, what a moron.

7. gr8-1

If it's either or, I'll pick Rudy to go. IMO, Steve is a once in a lifetime talent who needs someone to tell him how good he is. His career and season stats speak for themselves. Steve is in exclusive company.

#307 gr8-1, Jan 11, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  8. omar23

omar23 Member

Im not one to complain everytime we lose, but seriously what is up with Rudy's rotations? Ive complained about this even in the games we've won.

Take Orlando for instance , when griffen was on fire he gets benched till the 3rd quarter.

And in the 4th Rudy likes to take out Yao, Steve or both at the same time and put them back with 5 min left.

I just dont get it?? Rudy never did this before. Common sense tells you you keep a player in that is hot, and you dont take all of your best players out in the 4th quarter.

Oh yeah Rudy did this in Minnesota, putting our whole bench in at the 4th quarter, and checking the starters back with little time left and guess what we lost!

Alot of ppl complain about ppl always whining after every loss, but I think ppl are so dissapointed , because things were not handled correctly by Rudy. A loss wont bother me too much, but continuely losing with very poor rotations makes me and alot of ppl very fustrated. Something has to be done!! Whats up with Rudy?:mad:

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep in mind, the Rockets' current winning percentage translates to ~ a record of 46-36. Given last years' record of 28-54 that would be a gain of 18 wins.

This would be similar to the gain posted by the first Hakeem team ( 29-53 to 48-34) and there are quite a few similarities, such as the first pick in the draft being added to a team with an young star, and the relative inexperience of the teams. Of course, Hakeem's team went on to the NBA finals the next year. Would anybody consider that first stumbling year to be a failure?

To expect much more out of this team at this point, IMHO, ignores the history of the NBA. Young, inexperienced teams will at times look truly terrible. The key is to take the long view, and get satisfaction from slow steady improvements over time. The team is better than it was last year. There is every reason to expect significant improvements next year.

10. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

hmm maybe someone has money on the game....

notice how we always lose to the teams we are supposed to beat...

;)

11. got-milk!

got-milk! Member

excerpt from Steve Francis' postgame quote:

"When one guy starts shooting bad, the whole team starts shooting bad. We've been losing to teams that we can beat. Somehow we have to find a way to get out of it, because it doesn't look good at all...... "

Dear Steve,

Would you guys please shoot good regardless, even if one guy starts shooting bad?

We love you all!

'Milk :)

BTW Rox fans: in face of these humiliating defeats, we can use the Lakers current do or die figures for Playoff success(from LA Times): last years worst Western Conference team to make it into the playoffs had a record of 44-38: the Lakers are currently 16-20: to reach playoffs they must achieve 28-18 for the remainder of this regular season.
    Lakers Rockets
    To Reach... 44-38 44-38
    Current 16-20 19-15
    ... Must Go 28-18 25-23 at Rox current pace, it appears that they are definitely Western Conference Playoff bound.

12. got-milk!

got-milk! Member

BTW Rox fans: in face of these humiliating defeats, we can use the Lakers current do or die figures for Playoff success(from LA Times): last years worst Western Conference team to make it into the playoffs had a record of 44-38: the Lakers are currently 16-20: to reach playoffs they must achieve 28-18 for the remainder of this regular season.
    __________Lakers_____Rockets
    To Reach... 44-38______44-38
    Current...... 16-20______19-15
    .... Must Go 28-18______25-23
    at Rox current pace, it appears that they are definitely Western Conference Playoff bound. [/B][/QUOTE]

:confused: correct me if this is wrong.........

13. cmellon

cmellon Member

Other Western Conference opponents might win many more games than Rocket's current winning %. If that's the case, even Rockets does reach 44-38, they won't make it to the playoff. By the way, I think your point got-milk! deserves its own thread.

You can bet Lakers will go crazy and win a lot of games. They have found their mojo back.

The good news is this month's schedule for Rockets is very favorable. Mostly good opponent teams with >.50 record. If history is a good guidance to the future, Rockets will collect more wins in this month. :D

So tomorrow is the only time Rocket's gonna lose. Afterwards, Rockets gonna win over Celtics, Phoenix, Lakers, Dallas, etc. Correct me if I am wrong.