1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Worshippers: Grab yourselves a nice fat portion of crow, and eat it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketfat, Jan 10, 2003.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, quit trying to paint everything into such black and white. No one said that coaches are NEVER responsible. But in some instances, they aren't. Vengeance is right. If you saw tonight's game, you would have noticed Yao Ming missing dunks, Glen Rice missing layups, Francis missing layups...EVERY FREAKING ROCKET MISSING LAYUPS. And then there was the free throw shooting. The Rockets are like 9th in the league in free throw shooting...so obviously Rudy has coached them well enough to have them shooting FTs well on a regular basis.

And yet we miss more than half our FTs tonight. And this is somehow Rudy's fault? That's terrible logic. If we were running an offense that wasn't getting any open shots, THEN it would Rudy's fault. We had plenty of open shots tonight. We missed most of them. That is NOT Rudy's fault.

2. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

No but his teams continuous crappy overall play is HIS responsibility.

Guess what, I believe now we officially average less than 90 points per game. Guess offensive (or lack there of) gameplanning isnt the Coach's decision

Why is it even other teams commentators question Rudy's game calling? How many times in one quarter of a season can I hear someone say "The game is played inside out, not the other way" or "Why the Rox dont give the ball to Ming more often is confusing" one more time Im going to cry.

Why if we are so young, cant the coach demand his team push the ball more often? Demand his guys not jack three's when they have missed more than 60 percent of them for a game? Demand more passing, demand less ISO.

I dont know what you've been watching but our offense is an atrocity to the NBA. Just think, were right there with the Nuggets of the league as far as offensive production goes.

BTW Ive Watched every game this year except for two...try at least making a viable, factual statements.

3. cmellon

cmellon Member

I completely agree with you Dreamshake.

And the rotation plan is something to ponder of.

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

If you are going to hold the offensive gameplanning over his head, I at least demand equal time to point out our defense has been excellent this year. And is a major cause behind the fact that we have a winning record. Though to read this thread you'd hardly believe we'd won more games than we lost.

Considering the youth of this team, and how hard it is to get young players to play any kind of defense - that in an of itself is a remarkable feat, and a testament to his coaching ability.

5. nineteen

nineteen Member

Dream,

You are killing them with logic! No coach should ever be fired, wow, wonder how Rudy got his job? Exactly what does Rudy do for his $4M?

6. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

dear rocketfat,

please go be a fan of any team not coached by Rudy.

no one here will miss you.

seriously.

I mean it.

leave. go.

no one here will even know you're gone. or care.

bye. don't come back.

leave.

please don't ever post again.

for real.

no, I'm not joking.

disappear.

please.

:)

7. Dreamshake

Defensive turnaround....hmmm

I tend to think that since the Rox only average 89.999999999999999999999999 points per game, then for the most part teams play within what other teams give them. Kinda explains

The Grizz Loss
    The GS Loss
    The Knicks Loss
    The 2 times Clippers loss
    The Hawks loss

Ming might have alot to do with that also. Anyone whos semi talented and 7'6" is going to change your defensive stance.

But Im willing to concede the Rox turnaround in D......inside the paint. On the perimeter it is terrible though.

8. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

Chievous,

Excellent, excellent post. You made some great points, and provided everybody on this board with some tremendous insight. Posters, take heed. Posts like the one that Chievous made should be what this board is all about. He touched on some excellent issues, and demonstrated strong stances toward the issues at hand. I wish all the posters like me who offer criticism, arguments and analysis would just get the hell off the BBS, and more people like you, who post for no other reason than to get your beloved post count up, would flood the BBS. People like you make for really intelligent conversation and insight. We would all really like to hear more from you.

9. Puedlfor

I imagine he modelled his no content post after you.

10. Dreamshake

I would like to add that I am not complaining for the sake of it. Ive been on this trail for a long time...I think only TodtheBod has been on this wagon longer. Im not trying to gather storm, or wagon memebers on the way.

Its how Ive felt about Rudy for a long long time.

Its my opinion.

Opinion is not always fact

Opinion is factual sometimes though.

11. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

This seems like an odd thing to say considering that before tonight we had won two games in a row against decent opponents.

Or did you mean continuous crappy play only in our losses?

They are inconsistent right now. That's to be expected of a team that is young and is playing an offense that is new to them this season, and seems to be continually changing.

And for the record, I disagree with Rudy's susbstitution patterns sometimes as well. I was screaming for Ming to come back in the 4th quarter. But I feel like Rudy does much more for this team than he costs us...and I DEFINITELY feel that any other coach we would bring in at this point would probably be a step down in that department.

12. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

Hmmm.....pretty strange that there would be 50 responses in 2 hours (including a handful by you) to a post with "no content".

13. moomoo

moomoo Member

Dude, don't be so sure of yourself.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49087

It's pretty well debated in that thread, so to say that the "youth is no excuse" argument carries no weight, well, carries no weight. Personally, I tend to agree with the ones (MManal, leebigez, montgo, just to name a few who had some really well written posts) who don't buy the youth excuse, IMHUMBLEO.

14. Puedlfor

Doesn't seem strange to me.

Just because a post is inane, doesn't mean it will not produce a response.

15. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Ever since the team got Yao Ming and the BBS population exploded, it hasn't been too hard to get responses in threads. Especially ones that are controversial. Trolls figured that one out long ago.

16. Dreamshake

See this is in part some of my non understanding of the "Rudy lovers"

So if the Rox for the next 5 years are a top defensive team, and 4 games over .500 we should be happy? Im willing to concede that things were they way the were and we won then Id shut the hell up. Someone remind me...What team has traded for, acquired, had, and drafted more TALENT than the Rox have had since their second title? NO ONE. Thats a huge reason to question whats Rudy doing.

Anyhow.....carry on.

17. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

When did anyone say anything about the next 5 years? We are talking about THIS year. You know...the year after we drafted a new center that can pass very well and has a post up game. The year that we instituted a new offense. The year after our star player had a crippling migraine problem and another highly paid PF came off a year long injury. THAT year. If we were still hovering around .500 for the next 5 years, I'm sure most of the Rudy backers would be pissed too.

18. Puedlfor

If the Rockets are a top defensive team in 5 years, they will not be merely 4 games over .500. The major reason for this team's struggles is youth. This is a very young team, one of the youngest in the NBA. With experience, things will improve.

19. Dreamshake

How many years after did we

1. Institute a new offense?
    2. Acquire are new P.G. of the Future, S.G. of the Future, P.F. of the future?
    3. So whats the excuse for the last 6 years then? Ya know when we had 4 of the top 50 players of all time, received S.F. in a great trade, Drafted Mobley, acquired Mo Taylor, and traded for E.G.?

And no, just making it to the playoffs with some of those teams didnt cut it at all.

Puedlfor...I hope so man. This is killing me. Watching this team is excruciating. Even when they win, watching them run around of O faking the funk with their pretend offense is about as terrible as it could get. I dont wish that Rudy fail...If he could bring this team to do what it needs to do, then Im all for that.

20. Puedlfor

We never had 4 top 50 players of all time.

Olajuwon was old, Drexler was done after the second championship, Pippen was, well, Pippen. and Barkely was old. That's not factual to say we had 4 top 50 players, as if we somehow had them during their prime and failed to suceed with them. We had them at the tail end of their career, one of whom is not a top 50 player and we milked them for all they were worth, considering their age and frailty.