1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Worshippers: Grab yourselves a nice fat portion of crow, and eat it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketfat, Jan 10, 2003.

1. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

I guess I am new. I should ignore these threads. There are many more games that the Rockets will win, and there are many more games that the Rockets will lose. It will be the same threads over and over again.

Well it was just one game. We quickly forgot that we just won two games. Hopefully we can do well tomorrow. And hopefully we can do well after that game.....WHEN WE HAVE A VERY TOUGH SCHEDULE. If we do bad...then I will stop defending Rudy. I will hate him...not really. But If we do good... :)

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's getting old losing to the bottomfeeders like the Hawks after destroying teams like the Magic and Spurs.

3. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I completely agree.

Fact: Rudy T has won two championships and is the best coach ever in this franchise's history.

Fact: Rudy T has, within the past few seasons, made numerous questionable coaching moves, and is arguably hurting the team moreso than helping.

I think a new coach would suit this team just fine.

4. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

You spelled education wrong.

5. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Rudy is part of the team and we win or lose as a team. However, in tonight's game, Rudy screwed up big time with the rotation. Players get blamed for losing a game. I don't see why Rudy should not get his share of criticism.

Ignoring a problem does not make it go away and Rudy is becoming a bigger and bigger problem for this Rox team.

6. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Ya see, bubba. We learn something new everyday. I am going to quit school next Monday and dedicate myself to e-learning in this very chatroom. :D

7. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

I agree, the Houston media (especially the guys on 610) seem to have their lips permanently attached to the ass of Rudy.

8. CY02

CY02 Member

Come on how can you blame Rudy for missing easy shots, FTs and playing no defense on Terry?

They are young. So when under pressure, they usually struggle. We don't have a comeback win all season. That's the reason why. That's the pain of being a young team. Just be patient. Young guys will become veterans soon.

9. moomoo

moomoo Member

What about the Pacers? I read on this board (LOL) recently that the Rockets aren't even among the top five as far as youngest teams in the league, while the 25-10 Pacers are.

Youth is a copout. Where's that thread?

10. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I can accept it (the criticsm) if Rudy makes some odd subs or suggest weird plays. But, as you said, he is part of the team. Francis shot 6-19 (.315), Mobley shot 5-13 (.384). Terry got 33pts on 13-24 shooting (.541). Rudy cannot go out and shoot for Francis and Mobley (or anyone else). He can't play D for them. The players have to do that. Sure, Rudy can run plays (however questionable they are) to get them open looks or play better D, but ultimately it is up to the players to play the game.
    But let's share the blame around the team. We scored 13pts in the first quarter, and 16 in the final quarter. How much of that is blamed on Rudy?

11. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Like I said before, it is Rudy's job to make the team play for him. If the players (i.e. Cat) can't do what he asked, he has the power to take them out. However, if a coach chooses to do nothing to correct a problem, it is my opinion that the coach is the one who needs to be reprimanded.

12. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

I have respect for coach Rudy, but I'm baffled why he pulled Griffin out when he was hot, then benched Ming after he cut the lead to 3 by making that crucial momentum play early in the 4th. Yao was angry, he was pissed, he was all pumped, he was mean, he made the whole team pumped up. He made Theo have that Oh My F@@king God I am in trouble look afer Ming gave him a shaq like two handed facial. Yao Ming was in the mode to do 10 more mean dunks on Theo. Too bad he didn't get the chance because the coach pulled him out after that play. I thought the Coach just killed the Rockets momentum on that move and this wasn't the first time I've seen him done this. Never never bench a clutch player in a crucial time.

13. Panda

Panda Member

Bad execution and bad coaching. Two different things and one doesn't negate the other.

14. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Exactly my point. That was a dumb move on Rudy's part. When your team is playing like zombies for the last 30 minutes, a little charged up emotion will only help. What was Rudy thinking? :mad:

15. Elvis Costello

Dude, the Pacers have played together for a year with this roster. They were a *.500 team* last year and with time they have emerged as a really good team. The same kind of inconsistencies the Rockets are showing now plagued the Pacers last year. You can't see how more time together would benefit this team? The Rockets are retooling their offense on the fly from outside to inside with a starting front line that is composed of a rookie and a second year player (who only had one year of college). Sorry, youth is a factor. I wish they could snap their fingers and roll off twenty games in a row, too, but that simply is not reality.

16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Our division has more combined wins than the Pacer's does. Why is that relevant? THEY HAVE ONE WHOLE FRIGGEN MORE TEAM IN THEIR DIVISION THAN WE DO. That's how crappy their competition is.

Not to take anything away from the Pacers. They're a great team though more of their youth rides the pine while ours is actually on the court. Still, if you think your argument carries any weight....you need to think again.

The Rockets and the Pacers each have about a nine player rotation. The average number of full years played in the NBA for the nine players who get the most minutes for the Rockets is 3.89; the average number of full years of NBA experience for the nine players in the Pacer's rotation is almost double that at 5.78.

The numbers don't lie. Your argument carries no weight.

17. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Come on guys, if you're going to blame Rudy for a loss, this is not the one to do it. The Rockets missed more easy shots than I've EVER seen them miss. And I'm not talking open jumpers, I'm talking open layups. Yao Ming had one of his worst games of the season offensively -- ditto for Steve. How many times did we get a nice inside shot only to have it roll-off the rim.

Some games, shots from everywhere are falling. Some games, not even dunks will go in. This was one of the latter.

You've got to take the good with the bad and not get too high after a win, and not too low after a loss. The thing about this game is that we got LOTS of good shots. Lots of inside layups and open looks, but the team could not hit anything. Not even FREE throws. The team took some bad shots, but they ran quite a few plays effectively, but we just couldn't get anything to fall. It happens. Move on and wait until the next loss to call for Rudy's head . . .

18. nineteen

nineteen Member

Mac,

Too late! I tipped the guy to be on the Waiting List! I welcome you as the second member of a much needed club.

19. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Vengeance, you are now my favorite poster! I could not have said it better myself. That's what I've been trying to say!

20. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Rudy didnt miss the shots

Rudy didnt play bad D

Rudy didnt miss all those Free throws.

Well, according to that line of thinking...NO coach Since the FREAKING 60's has deserved to be fired, because last I checked, none since about the 60's have ever played in a game.

Imagine that. All those coaches unwarrantedly fired.

Time to hire some lawyers boys.

#40 Dreamshake, Jan 10, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2003