1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bulls tell Morey today they will NOT match Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Asian Sensation

If I got 30 minutes in an NBA game I'm sure I could grab 6 rebounds as well just from the luck of the ball bouncing my way.

I'm Even less impressed than before with those stats but hopefully I'll be impressed later since my expectations for him are close to none.

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'm dubious towards this whole thing, but I especially don't believe this post.

3. bloop

bloop Member

It's this.

There's no way to predict in such a way to eliminate risk when you trade for a player. Some scrubs here are of the opinion that 82 games are a sure thing and 35 games is a way-out gamble but this isn't the case. Morey knows that Lin is likely to be a good player for Houston (like 93% sure based on comparisons to others with similar stats) but it's not 100%

One thing about Morey is that he likes to front load his risk, rather than say taking a 6 year vet on the decline and paying a lot basically to offload the risk for another team... because conventional wisdom says he's money.

For both Asik and Lin, you have to realize that Morey ain't marrying either of these boys. Part of the deal is that they both look hot to other teams and he's surely thinking of flipping them if they don't pan out and especially if they do. The way Morey structures these deals (8/8/8 3rd year expiring in Lin's case) is all mitigating risk and playing it smart.

Morey wouldn't have paid $25 million for Lin if he thought he was getting a good to great player for the next 3 years. He's thinking what can I get for Jeremy Lin year 3 if he pans out at 20 pts 10 assist 2 steals 3 TOs the next 2 years? How can I flip this kid for a better player after I get a couple great years out of him paying him $5 per? This is how Morey thinks.

Same deal for Asik. He must think he can flip this kid and/or develop him. Preferably both.

4. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Where have I heard that before?

5. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

I think this was a rare mistake by Morey. He made this offer thinking he was out of the Dwight race (after the draft) and we were desperate for a center after trading Dalembert and knowing he didn't want Camby back.

Now that we are the clear front runners, this deal is backfiring (both in timing and eating up cap $).

I wonder if he can adjust this offer to make it easier for the Bulls to match? :grin:

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Has anyone verified this guy yet?

8. Dude1988

Dude1988 Member

You forgot to put DD at the end.....

9. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Can you say if Jeremy Lamb is on the table? I would guess that ORL is holding out for him.

If that's the case, Morey shouldn't blink. You don't trade a future all-star for a disgruntled player who doesn't want to be here. Hennigan has no better offers than Houston, and he knows it.

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

i did back on page 13, he's legit and I'll back him up on it.

He's been right about 80% of the stuff he's told me

#490 Dave2000, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Dave2000 has spoken. Begone, you non-believers.

12. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Looks like HOU will be getting Dwight Howard. Is the report that he won't re-sign in HOU no matter what true at all, or was it a ploy to keep the closest team to a trade away so BK would be ORL's only option? Considering Howard's apparent money aspirations, I don't see him leaving the team he ends up with, especially if it's HOU now that the Linsanity market is here.

13. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

You didn't hear a peep about Howard not resigning with Houston after the Brooklyn trade became dead in the water.

14. _Astew_

_Astew_ Member

I really like the Asik signing. Some people might think we overpaid, but I love his potential, plus. . . Kevin Mchale has made a living in the coaching ranks for mentoring big men. Asik might not be very polished on the offensive end, but he's an elite defender and can rebound the ball with the best of them.

We have a lot of flexibility this off-season, here is what I would do. . .

*Trade Patterson & Morris for Jarrett Jack.

*Parsons and a 1st for Josh Smith and a 2nd

*Sign Andrew Bynum

2013 Lineup

PG- Jeremy Lin

SG- Jeremy Lamb

SF- Josh Smith

PF- Donatas Montijunas

C- Andrew Bynum

- - - - - - - - - - -

F- Terrence Jones

C- Omar Asik

F- Royce White

PG- Jarret Jack

G- Sergio Lull

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm glad you cleared that up. I thought I'd read that before (probably from you), and I've been thinking that a 5 like Asik would be very tradeable at that salary. Then I started wondering if I had imagined it (the cap hit for a traded Asik). It's all clear now. Add another "thanks!" to all the other "thanks!" you've collected from me!

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That's how Morey thinks, but if Lin averages that, he will be a Rocket for life.

17. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Exactly.

McGee just got I believe $11M per. I realize Asik isn't nearly as talented as McGee offensively, but $8Mish for a YOUNG, likely improving 7 footer who can play the pick and roll (SO much of what today's game is about - and where we have struggled with consistency, or just plain sucked, for so long) and protect the paint is definitely not "BAD".

Without question, a good "risk".

If he can improve at staying out of foul trouble, this is an excellent acquisition.

Anything on the offensive end is a bonus.

If he can be as good defensively as a MOTIVATED Dalembert (VERY good defensively when he WANTED to play), we are FINE. He won't be the black hole Sam was on the offensive end, either.

18. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I agree 100%.

Sure, Dwight is more "dynamic" and definitely better defensively. But, as much as I'd like to have him (and I DO think we could re-sign him and it'd be a SPLASH), I want no part of the BS and drama that will accompany him for the next year.

I disagree with those that feel Bynum's numbers were DUE TO Kobe and Pau's presence.

If you watched many of their games, that simply wasn't the case. There's no question in my mind Pau understood and realized Bynum's ability, yet Kobe continued to be Kobe and didn't utilize Bynum anywhere near the way he could have.

If Bynum committed to us long term, I'd LOVE to have him (immaturity and all).

19. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Man, don't let a few morons run you off.

You're GREATLY appreciated by most here, I assure you.

Thanks for the insight and sharing!

20. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Is it REALLY that hard to imagine why this could possibly happen?

Wow.

Regardless of whether or not Dwight is Houston's plan A and Houston is Orlando's plan A, details of the deals will determine which gets done.

So Houston prefers Dwight and Orlando prefers Houston. Great.

Let's say they can get Dwight but have to give up Lamb and an extra draft pick and there's obviously no guarantee Dwight is staying. In this scenario, let's say they don't involve LA at all.

Let's say Houston could somehow get Bynum with a guarantee he'd stay long term while keeping Lamb. They obviously have to involve LA with this one.

So, now... Morey has to weigh his options and regardless of Dwight being his first choice, the safer or better trade for the team and the future may be involving LA and taking Bynum who guarantees he'll re-up while also keeping Lamb.

(these are just examples by the way... we'll likely, unfortunately, have to give up Lamb in either deal, I'm guessing)