1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop the madness--keep OUR ROOKIES

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 17, 2012.

1. chief

chief Member

im impressed how all 3 rookies have looked thus far..and hope we keep them..that said it is summer league...and also i luv zoran dragic hustle play..i hope he finds a way to make our squad..

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

starting to become more of a general consensus

3. TheresTheDagger

To be honest, I'm ambivalent about which direction we go. I'm satisfied either way because its different than the last 3 years. Thats enough for me.

Could either way work out? Sure. Could either way also be a tremendous blunder? Absolutely.

At the end of the day, if it were completely up to me, I'd go the Dwight route. He is the known commodity that I believe (and apparently Morey believes as well) can be resigned next year and that trumps potential.

Having said that, I am just as excited about our potential too...don't get me wrong. But...I can also tell you that I see lots of weaknesses in their games. Defensively, they were a sieve last night. Offensively, they looked fantastic and had flashes of brilliance. But remember....they were facing SUMMER LEAGUE ROOKIE opponents. Not exactly the Thunder/Heat.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

If this was Dwight signing an extension I think everybody on this board would be down trading whatever for him. However, it is a whole different story to give up two first rounds picks and some promising rookies for possibly nothing. We are setup perfectly for a true rebuild right now. With the stacked Lakers, Thunder and Heat we aren't going to win any rings unless we can get Chris Paul or another superstar to play with Dwight anyways. We should just play the young guys and hope one emerges as an all star with a good chance of getting a top 5 pick as a result. Throw in that we could have another lottery pick from Toronto and this team could have a solid young nucleus by next year.

5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Well its impressive if you consider that they themselves are also rookies. Hence they are better then their peers. Some of whom were drafted well ahead of them.

6. zzpot

zzpot Member

A link to soe but not all of the DM'd Dnightmare posted the other day..

all of the posts are here on the BBS just can't find them all.

and you still want Dnightmare and trade all of the young guys we now have after gutting the team???

I'm not on board with that at all until Dnightmare is checked by Rockets Dr's and well say he will resign or at least play games here this year. Even then I'm not sure.

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2012/7...ht-howard-twitter-dm-leaks-drops-asking-price

zzpot.

7. AbrahamLincoln

They are fun to watch in the summer league. We have more talent than these other teams. When we roll out pretty much the same lineup in the regular season it is going to look a lot worse than this

. If we can give up 1 rookie, and 2 vets with a ton of picks to get DH12 then I will be alright.

I realized after watching tonight's game that I'm getting too invested in these young guys and 1 will most definitely be traded and maybe 2 end up leaving. Id be fine if we missed on DH, but if we trade for him and then somehow sign him we become a much much better team. And Morey will deserve a statue.

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Not really any of these SL teams playing much D .. couple of days of practice and a SL team being ran by an assistant coach,not really much time to buy into a defensive philosophy ... It'll take a while but it would nice having young guys grow together.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Back problems and heavier men, don't mesh well.
    Dwight can stay in Orlando. He will never be the same.
    If your a gm, why sell the farm for damaged goods. Risky.

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

CB,
    We're coming at this from different perspectives. You believe in the current model prescribed by the NBA, build around 2-3 super stars. I prefer the old-school approach of building a team. I'm not a GM, don't pretend to be, but I've played, coached and loved basketball for 40+ years and to me the beauty of the game is the synergy of 5 players working together. Chemistry is a very under rated part of basketball and I'm seeing some great chemistry on our SL court. We don't need super stars to build a great team, we need players that can fill their role and do it at a high level. I cherry-picked a few mid-/late-rd 1sts from the last decade+ below. These are guys that probably won't be HOF, but are good players and can fit well on a team.

2001: Zach Randolph #19; Tony Parker #28
    2003: David West #18
    2004: Josh Smith #17
    2005: Danny Granger #17
    2008: Roy Hibbett #17, Javale McGee #18, Serge Ibaka #24

You advocate D12, but then admit if he splits we're re-building any way. I'm saying keep the kids that want to be here and take a chance on our pick or TOR's pick getting us a really good player next year. I respect your opinion, mine is different. Have a great night.

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

None of those guys are franchise players on a contender.(I'll give ya Parker, but that's really the exception to the rule)

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Didn't say they were. The draft is a crap shoot, a lot of Top 5 picks never work out. We've got some young guys with great potential and some unique skills.

If they turn into guys like the above, I wouldn't be disappointed.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's just one game though, our rooks have been tearing it up for 4 games already. Not only that, this class was already known to be an amazing class so having better players relative to the spot we got them is expected. More importantly, Greene was a lot first round selection, our rooks are lottery or near lottery who slipped for various reasons.

Lamb for example is out playing every other SG in his class. If you think the SG class this year have potential then he's right up there.

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Indeed our rookies have sustained great play, except for one game, and outplayed the competition. Individually only Ross and Lilliard did well and they're going to be very good but T-Rob & Beal + the whole team was outplayed by our rooks!

15. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

If you don't like the Dante Greene comparison, then how about John Lucas III who has scored 60 in the summer league, and averaged 23.4 ppt and 7.6 assists outperforming Kevin Martin, Amare Stoudemire, and Brandon Roy in 2006.

There is a good write up of other summer league "super stars" here.

16. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I guess your Lakers friend is not an ******* fan. One of my friend is a lakers fan and every time they win he rubs it in my face. Howard going to the Lakers is just wrong for everyone else.

The rich get rich while the poor don't even know what the taste of the Finals is like.

17. zzpot

zzpot Member

2006... is that like Janet Jackson saying "what have you done for me lately"??

zzpot.

18. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Assets are assets. There are plenty more rookies where these came from to fall in love with; Morey knows how to pick 'em. I'm as basketball-starved as anybody, and I'm enjoying the summer exploits of Donuts and the gang. But summer league ain't the NBA, and Royce White ain't and never will be Dwight Howard.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

The only madness would be to hesitate in acquiring a top 3 player in the entire league because of a few good games by your rookies in the summerleague. I mean, real madness.

With that said, at LEAST 1/3 of our rookies drafted this year will be gone in the deal. Potentially 2/3.

Lamb is clearly a legit scorer, and one of the better players in the summerleague. There is no doubt ORL will want him. I like his versatile scoring and efficiency, however, I wonder if he is a team player. Out of the 4 games there, I have yet to see him make ONE single good pass to an open teammate. Especially when a bigman is open after setting the pick, Lamb never hits him in stride. This isn't anything new either, after averaging a mere 1.7 assists in college. Given we could bring back Howard's buddy Lee, I think Lamb is a goner.

White has come on of late with some amazing passes. Being a team player is definitely NOT his problem. I really like him as a player, but I question how a non-outside shooting bigman would fit next to Howard(since that is the endgame). And how his passing ability will be maximized if the ball will be in Lin's hands the majority of the time? End of the day, the fit isn't there, so he should be included too if ORL insists.

Lastly, Jones is the one we should definitely NOT trade. This is the guy CFs blew up over on draft night. And as usual, was wrong about. He is the youngest out of all 3, and shows no fear, no hesitation, and a real mean streak. I love his skillset next to Howard, and would keep him over Patterson. In fact, either him or D-Mo would be perfect next to Dwight.

End of the day, I think Lamb and White are gone.

1 person likes this.