1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin agrees to terms on offer sheet [Update: Lin officially signs]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Jul 5, 2012.

?

Do you want Lin's contract matched

1. Yes

230 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

505 vote(s)
    68.7%
  1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

IF they did match Lin's offer then there plan would be to play one of the PGs at the 2. The Knicks lack shooting guards.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Many Knicks fans think that they are pissed at Morey for changing the deal, and signed Felton while waiting a full 3 days so all the FA point guards are off the market. In essence, they put out this smokescreen to screw our PG spot and leave us with zero available FAs at the position.

I doubt it, but if true it would be incredibly stupid to say the least. As more than any other position, Morey has been ridiculously good at identifying undervalued PGs. I would not be surprised if the Rockets can simply trade for a PG if they get Howard and actually care about winning this season. If they don't get Howard, does it really matter if we suck at the position and only get ~20 wins next year?

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, I saw that... but I was skeptical of the initial claim since it was from a small-town South Carolina TV reporter, and Felton's agent (I presume) immediately denied it to Feigen. The fact that it's come out again, this time to the more-credible NYDN, gives me more hope.

5. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Yeah this would be the biggest reason for Lin not returning to the knicks. In addition to the things JR Smith hinted at, there would be a likely conflict between Felton and Lin. Especially if the front office guaranteed the starting spot to Felton, despite Coach Woodson saying Lin would definitely be the starter if he returned. The Knicks frontoffice/ownership is a big fail on so many levels.

6. justtxyank

Yeah. I still think the Knicks are going to match. I think they may have gotten their thongs up their butts that day and acted out, but now that they've calmed down I think they will make a stupid decision and match.

7. draneb

draneb Member

What I keep thinking about is how Lin was already a part of the Rockets organization last year. Morey is a very intelligent person. Didn't he consider the potential Asian fan base Lin would bring to Houston, even sitting on the bench? And at a cost of not even $800,000. Not to mention he played well the little time he was given, in my opinion, definitely better than Jonny Flynn. He wasn't even assigned to the D-League, just waived. Now Morey is going after him at a cost of $25 million over 3 years. They say that extremely intelligent people often lack common sense.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I thought about that. Kidd at sg won't work IMO. Felton won't work. So that leaves Lin at sg. Possible but not sure that's what I plan on. He will get torched there.

9. tallanvor

Morey was one of three GMs that gave Lin a shot, making him smarter then the other 27.

yep. Though it's a dumb plan, I think it would be their plan.

10. justtxyank

Morey missed on Lin being good. He didn't expect him to become this good.

11. vernonmaxwell86

once shumpert returns nyk will be a mess if they match lin

good luck distributing the minutes and keeping everyone happy

12. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I doubt that Knicks can give Felton official guarantee that he will be the starter, especially when Felton is not getting a big contract from Portland, nor does he decide to do Knicks a favor to play there.

What if Lin does get matched, is Felton going to quit? I guess the whole New York City would thank him for that.

Anyways, this drama has been dragged for way too long. No matter where Lin plays, he's going to get some backlash on and off court.

13. thejav

thejav Member

Plus we had 2 PGs ahead of him..

14. tallanvor

Neither did every other GM (except maybe the Knicks). Morey gave Lin a better shot then almost every GM in the league.

15. justtxyank

That's really irrelevant. If Morey had realized Lin would be as good as he ended up becoming he would not have cut him. In his own articles he's written that nobody could have predicted how good Lin became.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Well the Knicks was about to cut him in two days before the linsanity took over.

17. justtxyank

Yeah I'm not knocking Morey here. Nobody saw it coming with Lin.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Eh, Felton isn't that far removed from being a good starter (over 17/9 a year ago for NYK) and a real up-and-comer at PG. I don't think it'd be that far fetched for a struggling franchise to give him a flyer at more than $3 mil/year. I think he liked the Knicks for the situation.

Of course, it's certainly possible the NYK brass could flip flop and bring back Lin, and Felton would undoubtedly deal with it. By no means does this make it 100%. But in general, it's wise not to lie to players and agents when it can be avoided.

19. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

That's happening every single day in real life - lots of people have the ability to be more successful than they are, but they just need that opportunity.

20. tallanvor

You should make motivational posters for a living.