1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Got a Gift Voucher from Travel Agency - where would you go?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mathloom, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If you had a gift voucher to travel anywhere (voucher can cover tickets/accomodation) for $2,000 where would you go and where would you stay for 1 week?

I don't really care so much about the acommodation to be honest, I'll sleep almost anywhere. Doesn't have to be one place/country. Will probably go on 21st of August.

Here are some places I'm considering (not a fan of big urban population centres):

Bhutan
    Nepal
    Vietnam
    Australia (where in Australia I don't know)
    Ghana
    South Africa
    Philipines
    Canada
    Costa Rica
    Chile

Popular places I've been so I'm not considering:
    Turkey
    Thailand
    Western Europe & UK
    Morocco

My first instinct was the US since I've never been, but I'm already planning a trip over there in 2013.

Any advice highly appreciated, especially obscure destinations!

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

A friend of mine is going to Kilimanjaro in the near future. I had to google it, but it seems like a nice adventure. Also doesn't seem like there are too many tourists there, but that's just a guess. Sounds like a place I would go to.

Where do you live? Dubai?

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I would go to Costa Rica (since that is next on our list of countries to visit).

But I would recoment Madagascar, that is the place I liked the most. It is an ideal place for a biologist to go to. We had an amazing ime watching the lemurs and cameleons.

I also visited Kyrgyz Republic (you wanted obscure) and that was also nice. But that was the first country I visited alone, and the first and only country were i actually had a culture shock.

4. ashiin

ashiin Member

I know you already said you went to Thailand, but Koh Samui is too nice of a place for me not to recommend to you. My friends and I went there for our senior trip and rented out two villas next to each other for very very cheap (I however can't remember how much it was anymore). Came with a private pool, concierge services and on top of that we could request for whatever we wanted and they would send it our way.

Nightlife in Koh Samui is pretty fun too, lots of bars and clubs and strip joints, the biggest club being Green Mango (looks like a big ass warehouse when you're inside, but it's crazy fun).

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Dude, I have been to every single place you mentioned in Koh Samui! lol I've been to every corner of Thailand and you're right, Koh Samui is awesome. I really disliked Phuket which just seemed like an old and overly-filthy version of Koh Samui.

Good idea, but not sure if I'm up for anything that strenuous!

Yup.

Dude Kyrgyz Republic sounds like it would be amazing to discover. On the other hand I hear there are some shocking cultural practices over there, something about men kidnapping women routinely?! I also wonder how I would get by language-wise?

Costa Rica is my top choice too but I'm hoping to save that trip to go with someone rather than go alone. Seems like more of a couples destination, right?

I'm so tempted to come to Houston and watch my first live Rockets game, but I worry that I'll be bored as F the rest of the time and I hear the weather is as crappy as the weather in Dubai.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What do you like to do? (Beach, culture, nightlife, etc.)

7. ashiin

ashiin Member

Awesome! The only downside for my part was that we went there when the swine flu just happened and kids going to Koh Samui were coming back with swine flu for some reason.

Have you thought about Taiwan? It's a beautiful country and you can be in urban cities AND countryside/beach. Lots of places and culture you can experience there. If you're interested I could let you know more.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Definitely interested in Taiwan, any insider info appreciated!

9. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Kashmir in the summertime is supposed to be amazing.

10. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Why not go to US, anyways?

11. s land balla

Typical American response :grin:

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its a very nice country. Check out the night markets, and try to visit all the little villages and visit their tea houses. It would be good if you knew someone there as no one speaks English. Their public transit outside Taipei wasn't that good so you probably need a car. It is pretty cheap even in Taipei.

13. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

When i was there I had a translator (I was 20 at the time). She was a young woman, and she told me about the kidnapping. Woman get kidnapped by a man so he can marry her. She actually wanted to be kidnapped since than she would have a man to marry (there are a lot more woman than man in that country) . She said that now a days it doesn't happen that often and mostly it is more cerimonial (both the man and woman want to get married).

If you are going to western Europe and come to the Netherlands let me know. I might be able to show you around.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sichuan province

15. kona-

kona- Member

Head to the Philippines. :)

I just got back 2 months ago and I highly suggest it. Most everyone speaks english (Even though some are shy) and its a beautiful country with very nice people. Can go to Boracay if your looking for popular tourist destinations. Cebu also a good place.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

To be honest and lame, my fiancee and I have been talking for ages about doing an East to West coast US trip in 2013 since neither of us have been there so can't break the 'pact' and she has 6 months probation at her new job. Same gig with Holland (will let you know arno_ed, thanks for the offer!).

But I'm thinking she'd have little interest in Houston, so maybe I make an exception.

I'm getting a lot of good reviews for the Philippines. I wonder if it would cost much to get a philippines-taiwan-philippines ticket.

s land balla, going to kashmir for friend's wedding next year. He showed me pictures, absolutely gorgeous., my favorite type of landscape.

17. s land balla

Go to Cuba. I just got back from there, it was fascinating.

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I've been to quite a few places including Thailand.

I've got the money, but if I had the time........I'd go back to Thailand. Probably somewhere else within the country, but I'd go back there.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No fly list?

No, seriously, could better answer your question if you said what you like - if it's a beach, there isn't a much better place than the Maldives, which is also easily reached from Dubai. Then again, you have sun and beaches in Dubai, too, so perhaps you are looking for something completely different?

Do you want to go somewhere remote and lonely? E.g., Easter Island.

Are you interested in watching nature? E.g., Galapagos.

Want to get a feeling for Latin American culture and fun while eating excellent steaks (and possibly drinking great wine)? E.g., Buenos Aires

Do you want to see mountains, as a contrast to what you usually see? Somewhere in the Alps (Austria, Switzerland)

Do you perhaps want to study another language? E.g., somewhere in Spain or Latin America

Are you interested in art history? E.g., Italy

And so on...it would be easier to give you advice if you could share what you are interested in.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Switzerland. Zermatt, Leysin, Interlaken.