1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JR Smith: Knicks Players Will Be Mad if Lin Matched

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Trackball

Trackball Member

This is a major reason I'm a Jeremy Lin fan in the first place--he's a tremendous human being in a league sorely lacking therein.

Character means something. I don't want my favorite sport's highest level to be loaded with entitled pains-in-the-butt like JR Smith and Carmelo Anthony.

I mean, would you really be as much a fan of Olajuwon if he was the same pain throughout his career that he was pre-1992?

Ever wondered why Rick Barry played for so many different teams in his career? It's because, though he was undoubtedly a Hall-of-Famer, he was also an incredibly-unlikable man. NOBODY wanted to be around him.

(Though I feel like a hypocrite saying that, since, when he talks about free throws, you really SHOULD listen to him. Underhand? Can't argue with 90% accuracy for his career.)

2. yobod

yobod Member

Knicks as an organization are idiots, signing players like JR Smith and Novak without having Lin locked in first. Then acting surprised when the Rockets up their offer. Morey has his priorities straight like letting Courtney Lee wait until all his big pieces fall into place.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

There actually is a certain element here.

Yao had to put up with a lot. He got a lot of attention and media, even before he played a game.

I do see the "what's he really done, yet?" side of it, but if J.R. Smith were any smarter a basketball player or any more likeable, he wouldn't have to be so jealous of another man's money.

And Melo's sideswipe comment was also telling. "How can I ballhog with that guy on the team? I'd really (good riddance) like him back (let him go) but we'll see what happens (punk-a$$ taking MY shots away!)"

4. MONON

MONON Member

JR isn't overpaid.:grin:

5. rocketseagles07

Theres nothing wrong with what smith said. Everyone gets mad when athletes don't say the politically correct thing. What a douche he is letting everyone know how the majority of the Knicks players REALLY FEEL

6. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

But if he was Jeremy Jackson?

7. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member

There's nothing wrong with it except that its kinda dumb and its gonna get you hounded by angry Knicks fans and potentially ruin chemistry if the Knicks do match. Should've kept it to himself until Knicks absolutely declined.

8. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Exactly. There is all that talk, repeatedly about needing to "go get your money" and being happy when someone "gets their money"....yet somehow, Lin doesn't deserve his.

I wonder why two outstanding examples of men in Carmelo and JR don't feel that way for Lin??

9. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

$1 per tat

10. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

THIS^^^ For one he's telling it like it is. It's the same thing at your job, if you work with a guy who hasn't been there as long as you, and you don't think is as good at it as you, if you find out he's not only making more, but ALOT more than you, you would be upset too!

I for one hate jerks as much as the next person, but I hate liars even more, and JR Smith is just saying what the other guys don't have the onions to say.

11. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

All these haters need to shut up. Stephen Smith just said that Carmelo and all NBA players aren't hating on Lin b/c more money for Lin means they'll get more
    money down the road too. But it's obvious JR Smith just proves Stephen wrong. Other players are hating on Lin's contract. And it's b/c he's Asian. Where was the public outcry from other NBA players when Kelvin Cato signed his "ridiculous" contract with us? And he only showed he could ball during summer league. At least Lin has shown he can win games in the NBA during the regular season against good competition.

12. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

douche thing to say for JR and Melo.. at least stfu until you know he's not going to be on your team. Plus isn't it a unwritten rule to not talk about another players contract?

13. yobod

yobod Member

Except it's not like it is. Lin carried that team last year, and it wasn't until Melo came back and JR Smith got signed that everything went to $hit. If they hadn't sucked maybe they'd wouldn't have had to face the Heat in the first round. Lin, Fields, Jeffries, and Novak were the heart and soul of the Knicks last year and a big reason why the city was so passionate about the team again. Now they're stuck with a bunch of selfish players that no one will want to root for.

14. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

So, you label them a second round team, when they have won 1 playoff game in a decade? Yes, last years team isn't the last 9 years team, but still, there is no gravy on that train. 1st round exit if they make the playoffs... It's a bunch of 1 way players from 1-10....

15. Asian Sensation

This.

16. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

Smith took less money coming from China to play with his girl Mela so that's on him...

17. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

"Henry Abbott, TrueHoop: There is a code. Players don't trash their teammates in the media, or anything like it. Teams don't trash their players, either. But Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith, and most convincingly Knicks sources cited by Stephen A. Smith are putting some ideas out there that, given the code, will curl your hairs."

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Someone should explain this to a knucklehead, like JR Smith:

1. Jeremy Lin's fan base vs. JR Smith's fan base, Jeremy Lin's fan base vs. anyone else's on the Knicks. JR, nobody wants to drive 2 miles to see you unless it is some crazy and trashy groupie chick looking for a payday. On the contrary, look how many games Lin sold out last season ... in New York and away from New York.

2. Lin is a point guard with good skills, good court vision, and high potential, while Smith does have good skills. The type of players like JR Smith in the league are innumerable.

3. Lin's not a cancer ... JR, you are. Lin actually has a concept of how to play team basketball and better yet, have sociable relations with his coach. Even when there was talk of Woodson benching Lin. Did you see Lin cry to the media or throw Mike Woodson under the bus and have confrontation with him? No. JR Smith has had bad relations with two respected NBA coaches, not a good sign.

JR Smith
    http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/11/george-karl-butting-heads-with-jr-smith-again/

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_16643791

http://www.denverpost.com/fanmail/ci_17626916

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets...arl-on-j-r-game-2-and-his-game-3-lineup/4711/

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/keeps_shooting_himself_5KW2pOLPrwn4g4kzkQKFQL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-sister-chokes-woman-court-rampage-China.html

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/24138680

http://www.nobloodnofoul.com/2007/10/20/detroit-trade-talk-sign-that-jr-smith-is-killing-his-career/

http://www.inquisitr.com/260136/new-york-knicks-guard-jr-smith-sues-chinese-team-for-1-07-million/

4. Lin has appeal beyond basketball/NBA, what about you, JR? Do you contribute anything besides a bad all about me attitude, an awful deposition, and ridiculous tattoos covered over his body.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So are the Knicks players gonna sign a petition to tell the FO not to match?

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I very much regret having to say this, but race is an issue here. If Jeremy Lin was black, I doubt the idiots Melo, JR Smith and Stephen A Smith would have said/written what they have about Lin's situation.

Anybody denying race is involved is either ignorant or lying. I'm curious how courageous NBA writers will be handling the subject. Props to Abbott for some early candor, but the worms are just getting out of the can.

IMO, those of you trying to argue logic with JR Smith are missing the (race) point. If Lin was black and in an industry dominated by whites, how many would question if race was a factor?

1 person likes this.