1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's biggest risk: Lin or Howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 15, 2012.

?

bigger risk?

1. Lin - might not live up to hype or giant contract

44 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Howard - might not come here or might not stay for more than 1 year

146 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. It doesn't matter the Rockets are desperate

74 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Absolutely zero risk with Lin. I'd pay 10 mil for his production last year. Only three years. Only reason his contract is villified is because of the 3rd year lux tax impact for the Knicks. Does not affect us.

1 person likes this.
  2. Dukefan

Dukefan Member

Dwight is the much greater risk. Here's why:

1. Dwight and his camp have acknowledged they didn't want to play for the Rockets.

2. Lin has signed a multi-year contract with the Rockets. Implying he'd like to play for the Rockets.

3. With Dwight, you risk giving up a ton of potential, low salaried players and future picks. You also receive a ton of bad contracts that are just a waste of money.

4. With Lin, you spend 25 million over 3 guaranteed years for his services and you lose no current prospects, nor valuable draft picks.

5. Lin is not a superstar. He isn't going to make this team that much better and he'll continue to allow us to build through the draft.

6. We needed a point guard.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. But Dwight has been the most notorious flip flopper in the NBA. Look at this year, he wanted to be traded, then he decides to stay, now he wants to leave. Saying he doesn't want to be in Houston, that's 50/50 based on his history of flip flop.

He could also do this to jack up his rate for the Knicks. People do that in real life, get an offer from another company and go back to their company so they can get a raise.

Yes, that's a big risk, but that's how most of these trades are.
    The Rockets got Juwan Howard with Tracy McGrady. We didn't really need Juwan.

What led directly to Lin's signing was that we let go of our original starter, Lowry, and we failed to sign the PG that we wanted in Dragic.

He's not a superstar in the traditional sense. You are implying we will suck with him and get more lottery picks.

Was he the best option as a PG out there? Could we have gotten someone else?

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Matt Maloney didn't have a billion adoring fans willing to bring endorsement deals to his teammates from across the pond.

:cool:

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Well, Lin is a little different from Yao, we don't need Pryuen to translate his every move ;)

6. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

yes I forgot the Lin fans will have to buy a whole bunch of new Rox Jerseys...

7. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

the way I look at it with the way the off season was going...

Rox were looking to tank...or go all out and get Howard who dosent want to come here...

Rox have nothing to lose.... you were looking to go lottery for the next 3 to 5 years anyways...

8. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

WTF are so many people saying that Lin isn't worth 15 mil a year?

He's not making 15 mil a year.

If you pay a guy a dollar a day to work for ten years and then 50 thousand in the 11th, he's not making 50 thousand dollars a year!

My head is going to explode.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

No doubt. From a Rockets stand point, I hope he does well , however if he has a bad game, he will be criticized and that will fair.

Early in Yao's career when he was clearly not one of the best players in the league, his fans thought he was .

When Yao had a bad rebounding game, they fail to acknowledge it. To be honest, I doubt 90% of the Yao fans even watch the game , they are just there to 'defend' Yao.

This place was first and foremost made for Rockets fans. Just remember it's our house.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Lin by far. By letting Dragic walk and trading Lowry you basically opened the door for Lin as your future. If turns out a bust then then we've got ourselves a disaster

12. rocketseagles07

Lin. I say this because if D12 walks next year we have the cap room to sign fa's and we continue rebuilding which is what we'll be doing if we don't get him. Lin played well for a small period of time and many pg's would play well if the coach told them to go out there and do whatever they want(which is what d'antoni did). If he doesn't work out we still have 2 years/17 mil to pay him. Is that a lot, no not really but it delays the rebuilding process...

13. rocketseagles07

stop saying "here". You're not a rockets fan, you're a lin fan and I've seen you talk crap about the rockets multiple times in your attempts to overrate/overhype your boy.

14. BJE

BJE Contributing Member

There is very little risk getting Dwight. If Dwight doesn't want to stay with the Rockets, he surely would be open to a sign and trade with another team. That way he gets paid the max and we are trading the best center in basketball for another superstar.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well.... they did not throw them at Lowry, Dragic, Boykins, Brooks........

16. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

I think his biggest risk right now is his JOB, although if nothing happens
    Les would prob. Give him at least 3 more years, or until he wants to teach
    Sports Econ. @ MIT

17. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

No risk with Lin it is three years....if we get him great, if we don't we get luxury tax money float down the todwm pole

Howard if giving up everything and taking both Jrich and turk well then he will be
    forced to make a deal by the deadline to package Turk/Jrich & duhon, bc we can't have
    these guys who obv. play for themselves. Although I do see a change of scenery, and maybe Turk likes it here he whispers to Dwight and boom Turk is nailing threes
    in the "bad shooting court Toyota Center"---and then we have something.

I'd like to See what DMo can accomplish if not traded as well.
    So my answer would be his gamble on Howard, but the contacts that come with him more so are his biggest gamble....