1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 day trip to Chicago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm thinking about doing a spur of the moment trip for three days to Chicago. We'd be leaving this Wednesday and returning on Saturday. Driving in, staying near the airport and taking the train for transportation. I want to make the trip as cheap as possible.

I'd like to go to a game at Wrigley, go to Navy Pier, Millennium Park and get some deep dish. Any other suggestions or advice are appreciated.

2. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

navy pier is awful. don't waste time going there. huge tourist trap that has nothing going for it.

pizza - get Lou Malnatis

wrigleyville is like the Washington Ave of Chicago... lots of douchebags... it really blows. get a drink at the cubby bear if the cubbies win just to say you did it and then move on to river north, lincoln park, bucktown, wicker park, or any other neighborhood to enjoy the rest of the evening.

if you want specific details about anything else, email me through the board and i can help you out (i currently live in chicago).

1 person likes this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Check out magnificent mile.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Go check out Shedd Aquarium. It's pretty bad ass.

Lincoln Park has a lot of bars, nice area to hang around.

2nd Best city in the country behind NYC IMO.

#4 ItsMyFault, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. Anticope

Anticope Member

I'm actually going to Chicago this week as well. This will be my second trip there, I would highly recommend taking one of the architecture boat trips around the city when you get there, they are very informative and give you a much better idea of places to hit up while you're there. They are usually anywhere from $30 to $40 person, so I don't know if that is within your budget but it is well worth it IMO. The Art Institute is also very cool, I'm not one of those people that is into art at all but I was very impressed by it the last time I was there.

6. Two Sandwiches

We live halfway between NYC and Chicago and have never been to either. We were going to do NYC, but Chicago seems to be quite a bit cheaper, so Chicago it is.

The aquarium sounds like something my wife would like.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll certainly spread the rep once I'm off my phone. Keep them coming please!

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Pequod's in Lincoln Park for deep dish. Steer clear of Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, and Gino's East.

2 people like this.
  8. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Ah the oft requested Chicago tips thread -- here's previous threads for reference:

Visiting Chicago by EmJohn

[Trip Advice] Chicago & Cincinnati by GlassHalfFull

Things To Do In Chicago? by Droxford

Going to Chicago by Mr.Brightside

Going to Chicago by MadMax

I'm In Chicago, Any Advice? by AroundTheWorld

Chicago by RocketManTex

You'll find my input peppered throughout -- enjoy your stay, Chicago summers are amazing. Let me know if you need any specific advice, I'm out here as well.

PS: Why waste your time watching a triple A team at Wrigley when you can come down to the southside and watch an AL division leader and potential world series contender? ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Thanks rockets r us! I know your last comment was in jest, but the answer for me is the same answer I'm sure for everyone-Wrigley.

I appreciate the info (I should have looked it up anyways). Rep will be sent your way.

10. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Go to the Grand Lux Cafe, went there today, got some good food! :)

11. ItsMyFault

If you want to go to a toilet like the cell, take this advice. lol

12. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Considering he'll be visiting all the museums, he might as well just stop and catch a game there if there is enough time.

I did a Wrigley tour last time I visited. That is definitely worth it!

13. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

A beautiful toilet with a championship banner hanging out front -- I'll take it over the beautiful piece of architecture that's falling down and about to collapse and slowly succumbing to the lures of advertising dollars. ;) Enjoy Wrigley for the scene, but leave right after the 7th inning stretch if you'd rather not run into a bunch of smashed bros...or brahs.

Also one thing I love about Chicago is the rooftop patios in the summer for dining and bars. Check out some of those, there's a new one opening right about now with a great view that I'm gonna check out this week -- http://www.jparkerchicago.com/

14. ItsMyFault

Ah just wait till Emmanuel's renovation plan goes through for Wrigley. My current apt view faces the cell, so I always see fireworks during game days. Nice sight to see.

15. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Giordano's Chicago

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Wow...12 years ago. Been back to Chicago twice since that thread.

One thing I would add is go to Santorini for Greek food. It's in Greek town. I found that place on my 2001 trip to Chicago and went back both times since.

17. halfling131

halfling131 Member

Kingston Mines for blues

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

We have to eat there once or twice when we go, with spinach it's great.

2nd recommendation for architecture boat trips, did that the very first time we went, great way to see the city.

If your are in downtown Portillos is good for an Chicago Dog.

Are you staying near Ohare or Midway? If you are near Ohare, Superdawg is in pretty easy to get to as well.

If it's the first time you have to do the observation desk of the Sears Tower or whatever they are calling it now.

We are going back in August, can't wait, we personally like it more than NY.

19. Agent94

Agent94 Member

20. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Absolutely infatuated with that city. Would totally live there.