1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Rudy can coach now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Free Agent, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

You have no freakin' clue what Rudy has said behind the locker room doors. None. If you have proof otherwise I'd like to see it here.

Rice's comments just happened to be made to a reporter. Rudy is well known for not bashing his team in public. Rice should speak out...he's the oldest guy on the team.

2. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Rudy still makes bonehead rotation decisions.

If you count Posey as a possible guard, then Rudy went with a 4 guard line up the other night. Rudy just cannot let go of playing Moochie with the other guards.

Why not reduce Moochie & Mobley's minutes and give some to Hawkins. Can you imagine Hawk and Posey on the floor together. Two big defensive stoppers!!

Eventhough we won last night, he should of rode Griffin more in the first half. The man was on fire, and then he sits him down until the 3rd guarter. Even on NBA League pass, the Orlando guys were stunned on why Griffin was on the bench so long.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Sometimes you have to take your criticism public for it to have any affect.

Raven

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When did Rice shoot 2-18?

5. pooh222

pooh222 Member

Rudy's management of this team is still pathetic. The Rox have played better the past couple of games. But it's against the Clippers, Grizzles, Warriors, and Knicks of the world where the Rox usually come out and lay an egg. It's easy to get up for a quality team, its against the bad teams where you really see how deep a team's desire to succeed is. There's no excuse for the Rox to be losing as consistently to scum-buckets of the league like they've been doing this year. That's the sign of a team that is not focused, thus not well-coached.

6. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Says who?

You?

7. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

Bobrek:

1. Grab a dictionary.
    2. Look up the word "hypothetical"

I apologize for not looking up one of his dozens of crap games this season if he has never gone 2-18. :rolleyes:

8. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Regardless he is hitting almost 41% of his shots this season. Cat and Steve are right at 43% so he is right there with the rest of them.

Quit nitpicking and get your facts straight.

9. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, but there's also overreacting to wins as well, so be careful when you walk this thin line.

I'd like to hear what the Rudy-haters think of our team defense.

10. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

If you took current records of all of the teams the Rockets have played, the following breakdown is present:

Against teams with below 500 records - 10-6
    Against teams with 500 and above records - 9-8

Yes maybe they should focus better against some of the lower teams but it appears they need to focus even more on the good teams. But it also shows that they have played just a bit more games against better teams than not and still have a decent record while trying to jell as a team.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

First of all, just because you constructively criticize the coaching and play of our boys in PJ's, that doesn't make you a "Rudy-basher". We're FANS, not cheerleaders and we have the right to criticize when the team under-achieves, especially with our ticket prices (hint hint, Les).

Second, it's games like the Orlando game that make you question the team even more than when we lose. We played a perfect defensive game and the offense (21 turnovers not withstanding) went through Yao and flourished. The question is if we CAN play like this on any given night (2nd game of a back to back no less), why DON"T we do it every night?

-Favorite movie quote here.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Why dont we do it every night. Its because this is a young team.
    2nd youngest in the team to be exact.

Ming rookie from another country
    Griffin only 2nd year, and is 20 yrs. old
    Glen Rice injured most of last year
    M. Taylor injured all of last year
    Posey brand new team
    Francis and Mobley are young and now starting to mature.

When you have the things above you dont come out playing great and knowing your teammates next moves. So it takes a while.

The Kings, The Mavericks, and The Lakers are all used to each other and there play shows it. Just like the Rockets hopefully will in the future.

Its funny, it makes me mad even though it shouldn't that everyone expects so much out of such a young team.

Isn't the 7th seed and 1 game behind 4th place good enough right now. Seriously I dont understand what ppl expect. I want them to win as much or more as the next person but come on...:(

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No need to look up the word, you never used it. By the way, it takes all of about 1 minute to see that Rice has not gone 2-18 in any game this season.

14. nineteen

nineteen Member

Posters,

There have been some good comments. We are Rox fans. What's the point Free, root against the Rox when they win. I'm not a game by game Opposer. I stated that with Rudy's "Deepest Team Ever", that he couldn't lead them to the Playoffs. Four straight Lottery appearances, low attendance, sloppy play and questionable moves are grounds for removing Rudy. If the Rox make the Playoffs, dandy. A win here or there are great, but if the Rox miss the Playoffs for the 4 year, hit the door. For the sake of the New Arena, the Rox need Calvin Murphy. There is no bigger Rocket booster. He can command the players attention and he has a higher Bball IQ than Rudy. Rudy Lover's have preached patience, 4 dismal years should be enough.

15. nineteen

nineteen Member

Posters,

There have been some good comments. We are Rox fans. What's the point Free, root against the Rox when they win. I'm not a game by game Opposer. I stated that with Rudy's "Deepest Team Ever", that he couldn't lead them to the Playoffs. Four straight Lottery appearances, low attendance, sloppy play and questionable moves are grounds for removing Rudy. If the Rox make the Playoffs, dandy. A win here or there are great, but if the Rox miss the Playoffs for the 4 year, hit the door. For the sake of the New Arena, the Rox need Calvin Murphy. There is no bigger Rocket booster. He can command the players attention and he has a higher Bball IQ than Rudy. Rudy Lover's have preached patience, 4 dismal years should be enough.

16. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

This post alone proves you don't know squat. I guess you don't think the injuries this team has suffered the past few season doesn't account for anything? Gimme a break. You can't just base Rudy's coaching performance on wins and losses without looking deeper than that.

Who said the Rockets are going to miss the playoffs? Sheesh. Let the freakin' season play out. They are in a very good position right now. My only hope for them was just to make it this year...to get a taste. I think they are on track to do that.

Calvin Murphy? You gotta be kidding. The guy, while entertaining at times on tv, has too huge of a "me" complex. What makes you think he can coach? You keep digging yourself a deeper hole.

#36 Free Agent, Jan 9, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2003
  17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

All good points, peleincubus. For the record, I don't think we should fire Rudy and never have. I don't want 82-0....well, ok I don't EXPECT 82-0, we all want it. I agree that after 28 wins a year ago, it's great that we're even talking about the playoffs. I just want consistency. We all know that we are going to be a serious threat for more rings in a couple of years, but playing down to the bad teams (ie. Clippers, Warrior, Knicks etc) can become a habit.

Maybe the Rockets should hire an assistant, a real x's and o's guy. Kind of like when the Kings hired that guy from Princeton who's name escapes me at the moment. Rudy has a very inexperienced staff when is comes to pure coaching.

"Surely you can't be serious.....I AM serious....and don't call me Shirley"

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What does the win have anything to do with the coach? He didn't play a second on the floor. It's the players, stupid! ;)

. . . uh, OK, what do the losses have anything to do with the coach either? :confused: It's the players, stupid!

The reality is, every coach in pro sports is bashed or praised a whole lot more than he deserves. Well, part of their job description is to be bashed by fans about how the players perform. It's a good way to make a living, in a way. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that the coach has nothing to do with the team's success or failure. But what a coach can do is a lot more limited than what a player can do, in terms of winning or losing ball games. Has anyone done a comparison on the average salary of a head coach and the average salary of a starting player in the NBA?

If Rudy did knee-jerk actions like many fans here screamed after every game, the Rockets would be damned.

19. nineteen

nineteen Member

Free,

I see that you can't read for understanding. IF the Rox don't make the Playoffs, show Rudy the door. Every NBA team suffers from injuries, player defections and poor decisions. Your reply is for the Rox to taste the Playoffs. What do you know? So do I! This Year. I do not have a quest for credibility. Come on now, how many people have come to you, throughout your lifetime, for a credibility stamp? I thought so. CM may not be Your choice if a change is made. It is just my humble choice.

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

What was our record this time last year? When did we go on that big losing streak? Rudy and the team are doing fine. Give them until the all star break and compare. After the trade deadline (just based on time) watch out, here we come...