1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe thinks 2012 Olympic squad could beat "The Dream Team"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 713, Jul 10, 2012.

?

Who would win

1. 2012 Team

40 vote(s)
    11.0%
  2. Dream Team

322 vote(s)
    89.0%
  1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Scottie was 26 years old and could hold his own against anyone. In addition, he would have elite shot blocking behind his initial defense which was elite. This is a combination Lebron has NEVER faced.

Westbrook would be tough but the shot blocking of Robinson & Ewing would cause him problems. Jordan was 30 and still athletic enough to compete with Westbrook defensively. Deron Williams while a very good player, won’t scare John Stockton (who was 30, 2 years older than Deron) who was as tough as they came and could give & get with the best of them.

Clutch and fearless is how I would describe Stockton. Stockton was 30, far from past his prime and while Paul is good in the pick in roll, Stockton ran it as if he invented the damn thing. Stockton had that Steve Nash quality (before Nash) where his anticipation & BBIQ, allowed him to play at a much higher level than his athleticism would suggest.

Magic was 32 and the statesman for the team (along with Bird) but his post game and passing out of a post up was still elite. He could guard either backcourt position but could have caused problems if he posted up. He could easily had played inside at the 4.

This one frankly isn’t really close. Malone was 29 at the time (2 years older than Lebron) and would’ve destroyed anyone you just named. He’s the greatest running and 18 foot jump shooting power forward EVER. Also, he was strong as hell, NASTY and got to the line at will. Which is why he scored more points than anyone in NBA history not named Kareem. David Robinson was 27 and maybe as big of an athletic freak the league has ever seen. At 7’1 235lbs he ran the floor like a guard and was an elite defender. He led the league in scoring, won a Defensive Player of the Year award and 2 NBA titles AFTER the 1992 Olympics. Barkley (who was 29) won an was an elite post scorer, elite rebounder and won an MVP after the Olympics.

Really? Not sure about that.
    Pippen- Elite athlete -age 26 (YOUNGER THAN LEBRON)
    Jordan- Elite athlete -age 30 (still had 4 NBA Finals MVP’s to win
    & just 2 years older than Melo)
    Drexler- Elite athlete -age 30 (just 2 years older than Melo & primed)
    Mullin- Elite shooter -age 29 (just 1 year older than Melo)
    & BBIQ)

This is tough----Shooting Guard, MJ and Clyde the Glide (one of my favorite all time players along with Olajuwon) VS. Kobe, Kevin Durant, and James Harden. Even though Kobe is a ridiculous talent and will probably play at a higher level for more years than MJ was able to, even though Harden is the reigning 6th man of the year, and even though Durant is fast becoming the next dominant all-around badass with his improving defense, limitless shooting range and ability to get to the basket, draw fouls and shoot over anyone and get his shot anytime, I have to go with MJ. He is the greatest of all time, one of if not the greatest clutch player ever. And the only person I ever saw even come close to shutting down MJ, or coming closer than others were able to, was Vernon "Mad Max" Maxwell, and he was only able to slow him down a couple times. Clyde was an amazing player, great slasher/scorer/driver, underrated defender and absolutely unstoppable on the break. Dream Team wins this matchup I feel, but give Durant and Harden a couple more years, and I think the young guys can turn the tables.
    Overall, I dont see why so many posters I have seen are not giving the 2012 squad even a chance, much less favoring them to be able to win this imagined clash of the titans. I really think the 2012 team with their superior athleticism, speed across the board, more slasher/scorer types would defeat the Dream Team. The long range shooting advantage I would give to the Dream Team is pretty much a non-factor with the shortened 3-point line in International play. The Dream Team's height and size advantages are useful, but made less important by the athleticism/leaping ability advantages of this year's squad.
    If the game were today, I'd put my money on the 2012 Team :cool:[/QUOTE]

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Continued.

I agree there, Jordan was younger than 34 year old Kobe and still the G.O.A.T. No way I’ll give an advantage to anybody at SG when I have Michael Jordan on my team. He loved a challenge and would yank your heart out of your chest when he felt disrespected. Clyde was no joke either, who led his team to 2 NBA finals before the 1992 games and won a title here in 1995.

Durant is elite but Harden was largely a no show in the finals. Pippen, Jordan, or Drexler were superior athletes to Harden and would easily neutralize him defensively or abuse him offensively.

I think you’d lose your money big time. The bigs for the dream team would dominate the boards and the shot blocking would slow down all drives to the basket. The thing you’re underestimating is just how nasty some of these guys were. Also, the Dream Team was stocked full of some of the most clutch players of all time. With all due respect I’ll put my money on Jordan and company getting it done. :cool:

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Kobe's on crack.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

you have to reread that post. I said that IF you were right about Magic (which I DON'T think you are) they'd just play Lebron at point.

In that case, idk what exactly the lineup would be, i'd have to think about it more. LeBron-Kobe-Durant-Melo-Tyson? LeBron-Iggy-Durant-Love-Tyson maybe. I'm not sure. When Magic sits, go with a normal point on Stockton.

But again, I don't think that 92 Magic is as effective as you say here. So the above is moot IMO.

Re lineup that I would use, i suggested one version in that post.

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Magic was 32 and the statesman for the team (along with Bird) but his post game and passing out of a post up was still elite. He could NOT guard either backcourt position but could have caused problems if he posted up. He could easily had played inside at the 4.

6. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Too bad you can't play zone...oh wait

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

If the 2012 olympic team have no injury problems, hence we get to see Rose, Dwight, wade and Aldridge, it will be a much better match up.

But when you get, harden, iggy, griffin and westbrook instead? 2012 will win a game or 2, but 92 will win any series.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Does that mean the Dream Team would get a healthy Larry Bird?

9. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Or a naturalized Hakeem Olajuwon?

10. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

OK, that is getting boring. Let's go on other subject. If everyone was healthy, Rose would not make a team. Howard, Bynum, Wade, LA instead of Harden, Chandler, Griffin and Iguodala.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Which rules you playing under? If you allow hand checking I'm running Jordan, Drexler, Pippen, Malone and Robinson. Which PG is gonna destroy Jordan and Pippen on the wings, with a defensive anchor like Robinson? Actually, I can play Ewing and Robinson together (they both had great jumpers). No easy buckets in the paint.

I think folks forget how great the Bulls duo was defensively when they had scrub centers. Now they have Ewing and an athletic freak like Robinson. Lol

Some guys don't think Jordan and Pippen could contain the speedy PGs of today. I suggest you go watch the 93 (KJ) and 96 (Payton) Finals.

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

First of all for you kobe lovers I know you hate to hear this but?? Lets start with Kobe.

Not better than Jordan. I know that hurts but its true right off the bat. Not only that it was a prime Jordan vs a now slightly past prime Kobe. Then? Name me any position at random they win at? Certainly not at center considering the 90's was the big man era and this is the worst era of big men ever. So right off the bat no and no.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

In that case, maybe Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union could re-combine, get Sabonis and the rest of them healthy, and those legendary blowouts would've been much more like the current games.

14. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

And yet they lost against College team. And they were so unbeatable. Two years ago when team USA had scrimmage against College team, they could not bring the ball across the half court when Westbrook and Rondo played full court press, including Kemba Walker.

15. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Dream Team would **** all over this team. Wouldn't even be a contest.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

WTF are you saying? Dream team was in 1992, Kemba Walker and WB probably weren't even born yet.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Granted lets even put the power forwards in there. You are saying that anyone is better than Karl Malone and Charles Barkley? Both also in their primes and seasoned veterans as well.Could any center of this era compete with David Robinson? Now he has Ewing too. Both are huge. One is a athletic freak and one is a huge bully down low. So where do they win? Possibly only at SF where Lebron although gifted would be competing against Larry Bird and Scottie Pippen one of the best true shut down small forwards ever even if you pit him against Lebron.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While it would obviously be an awesome game to watch I give the clear edge to the dream team.

Overall the players just had minimal weaknesses.

The PG position is fairly even but in a team dynamic ( not just 1on1 ability) i like what the dream team had.

Stockton, as much as I hate him, was just deadly from the outside and knew where to get the ball and when. Plus he was an annoying guy on defense.

Magic- no need to explain his attributes. Even at the end of his career he was a matchup nightmare.

Again, individual talent and at the particular moment in their careers I can see a 2012 argument, but I'm looking at more than just who is quicker, taller etc.

SG and SF positions. While an interesting matchup I just like the all around skill level the dream team had, e.g deadly outside shooters and great understanding of the game. But it's still pretty close and I can understand an argument for the 2012 team.

So just for arguments sake, and ignoring my personal opinion , let's call it a wash at those 3 positions.

PF and C is a clear win for the dream team. Bark, Malone, Ewing and Robinson could face you up and knock down a jumper with deadly repetition but more importantly they could and would destroy you on the block. Not to mention they were complete vacuums in terms of rebounding. The 2012 team has nothing that could stop all those aspects in total.

Sure, chandler is a quality rebounder and shot blocker but couldn't handle their low post moves and strength And obviously Blake and bosh could never stop them because they just arent good defenders. I give Love props because he is a gritty player but hardly good enough to give the 2012 team an advantage.

So, despite all the arguments over the guard and SF positions, the dream team would just have too much in the front court for 2012 to win on a regular basis.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Are you referring to the game Coach K says Daly threw (did you not see the Dream Team special, with Jordan on the bench??), before they beat the **** out of them the next game?

20. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

CP3 > Magic
    Kobe < Jordan
    Durant > Pippen
    Lebron > Barkley
    Chandler < Ewing

Starting lineup 2012 is clearly better than Dream Team. They can play 3-2 or 1-3-1 zone on defense and prevent Magic and Barkley from posting up. Since they didn't have any reliable shooter from outside other than Mullin they would strugle to score on half court offense. Jordan had second worst FG%.

On the other hand, CP3 and Lebron/Durant(whoever was not guarded by Pippen and whenever Bird was on the floor) would have missmatch everytime down the court. I would also give them a slight edge on the bench, because they would help them to beat Dream Team in transition.