1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Van Halen to Record First Studio Album in 12 Years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was seriously considering getting one of EVH's signature Wolfgang guitars...as it seems more affordable than most signature guitars. Albeit, Santana has a PRS signature that is under $1,000. I'm a bit concerned about tuning issues on the PRS. At least, the one I have has a hard time staying in tune even with locking tuners (especially, the the "G" string). Sometimes, it will hold its tune and sometimes it won't. It almost seems to depend on the weather or something.

In comparison, an Alex Lifeson Gibson will set you back $4200, a David Gilmour Fender Strat about $3999, and an Eric Clapton Fender Strat is up there as well. Damn guitar Gods slap their name on something...and the price is outrageous.

Either EVH doesn't know how to price a guitar...or he's doing guitarists a favor by making a great guitar affordable. I have yet to play one, though, so couldn't say how good it is. It must be pretty good if he uses them exclusively...unless his are way tricked out over retail (which could be likely).

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Their recent album, played in reverse order, is a good effort. I like the last 4 songs better than the rest, 6 out of 13 songs overall. Though all the other songs kick more ass in class VH style, "As Is" is an interesting song to me even if its more generic. That one has some "old meets new" elements that even even hipstery dipstery nu-metal bands can't pull off.

Really the only thing missing
    - The time period. Its about 5 years past the peak DLR anticipation point. This same album woulda KILLED for the first reunion tour. Though Eddie had to get his drug act cleaned up just enough to get a focused effort. And Roth just needs to get focused and serious, period.
    - Michael Anthony. I'm not a guitar expert of any sort. The kid does well from all accounts. Though you just gotta have the classic lineup for that extra "oomph".

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, the elephant in the room.

I saw a recent interview with MA and they asked him why he's wasn't a part of the reunion. His answer was basically "I have no idea, they never called me."

I know Eddie likes having Wolfgang on the road with him and says he keeps him from getting tempted with the alcohol and cigs, etc. But he should do what Sting did with his kid during the last Police tour. Let him form his own band and bring them on the road with you as your opening act.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

You don't need to get a "signature" guitar. Buy one that you like to play, one that feels good. Then swap out the pickups and the electronics to get the tone you want. Signature guitars are a waste of $, in my ever-so-humble opinion....:)

5. Souprocket

Souprocket Contributing Member

Van Halen Addresses The Superbowl Rumors In Open Letter

Van Halen Addresses The Superbowl Rumors In Open Letter

VAN HALEN
    An Open Letter

I’m compelled to address the now-rampant rumors that Van Halen is playing the Superbowl. First of all let me say this — be still my pigskin heart. That honor has not been bestowed upon us at this time though it is one we would accept in a NY minute.

Having heard VH blaring through stadium speakers on any given Sunday – more like every given Sunday, the idea of playing there live would be like – ‘okay, now we’re in the game’.

Van Halen’s collective memories are – and with all due respect to each and every one of these memories, teeming with been-theres and done-that’s, but none include playing at the Superbowl. Playing at the Superbowl is a veritable holy grail of musical recognition, a highly prized rite of passage for (game-changing) artists. Not a spiritual rite with snake pits or Hebrew school or anything, but it’s up there.

We are not on Commissioner Goodell’s dance card at this time, but we would be most honored to dance the halftime away in New Orleans.

It’s an honor to be considered and for that we would like to thank the rumormongers all over the World Wide Web.

- D-Ro

6. Raven

Raven Member

NFL should stipulate original lineup only.

;)

1 person likes this.
  7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So I just read where their new album has sold almost right at 400K. I don't see why bands like that would even release a new album today. You haven't released an album with Roth in almost 30 years and you can't even go gold? I mean, I'm actually glad that Ed's new stuff was rejected by the public, since he refused to give people a real reunion. But still, it kind of shows that releasing an album in this age is pretty pointless, unless you do it all digital.