1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we looking at a 100% new roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Batman Jones, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

We are actively shopping Martin and Scola. Lee looks to be going as does Camby. Having lost Dragic, Lowry, Budinger and Dalembert, that leaves three players: Parsons, Patterson and Morris, any of whom are likely to be packaged with the vets, expirings, picks, etc. for a year to sweet talk Dwight Howard into staying in a place he doesn't want to be. (To play with whom, again? Not Asik or Linsanity.)

Seriously, if our plans hold out, the only holdovers from last year will be last year's two rookies and Patrick Patterson (each of whom happens to be an asset so don't be so sure).

We could very easily, in my mind, be looking at a 100% new squad.* Has that ever happened in NBA history? Has any team in NBA history actively sought to replace its top 9-man rotation? (The only ones left are Martin, Scola and Parsons and we all know how badly DM wants to hold onto Martin and Scola.)

(*Earl Boykins and Greg Smith do not count.)

2. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

smh. Morey's running the team like a lemonade stand.

1 person likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Regardless of whether or not it's unprecedented, there are basically three possible outcomes.

1. The Rockets suck and get a fairly high lotto pick
    2. The Rockets are a middling team that either just misses the playoffs, out exit the first round
    3. The Rockets win 50+ games and make a serious run in the playoffs

I don't think any outcome is worse than the last 3 years.

5. Batman Jones

Outcome 2 isn't worse than the last three years; it IS the last 3 years.

Outcome 1 is the equivalent of a boxer throwing a fight for money (or some other gain). Tanking is cheating. If you go out to play a game and you are trying to lose that game, whether the players or the GM/owner/coach, you are throwing the game. It is cheating and as soon as I see the Rockets tank I'm not a Rockets fan anymore. It's not only gaming the system for gain; it also screws up the honest standings of all the teams that are trying to battle it out for real playoff spots. Pretty uncool if any other team's seeding is determined (esp. in the negative) by a top-down decision to throw the fight.

Outcome 3 requires a very, very, very optimistic view of what Morey's going to pull out of his magic hat after Dragic, Lee, Asik, Lin slip away and all we have is the future (in other words, not much this year) in return for Lowry, Bud and Bear.

I recommend that when he trades Martin and Scola (and he better at this point) he tries to get some players in return. Not just the kind of players that look good on a ledger, but ones that can actually dribble the basketball and maybe even shoot it once in a while during the 12-13 season.

1 person likes this.
  6. Batman Jones

BTW, value for value, I agree with Clutch on the Lowry trade.

First, however it happened, Lowry had become a poison pill and he wasn't going to play well unhappy here.

Second, that was top dollar for Lowry even without the locker room problems.

A steal of a trade. With regard to the pick, my only major worry is which asset we'll get in exchange for that asset.

Assets!

7. FatChad

FatChad Rookie

I feel like Chandler Parsons will be the only returning Rocket.

8. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

They Broke up Jordan Bulls anything can happen... And ohh our club was stuck in neutral at the 14th pick club.. Sometimes the doctor wish you have a full break to your bone so it can heal properly.... No more patch work... Breakdown rebuild.. Free up money and playing time...

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I'm interested in seeing what Parsons brings in his second year... has he been practicing hard or going hard with the ladies. Maybe both but I hope he comes back with a better offensive game at least.

10. Margrave

Margrave Member

The more I see of Morey and his plan, the less I can believe a guy so smart can have such a stupid approach to team building. Sigh.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That Bulls team had Harper and Kukoc, at least for the first part of the season.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I agree, but tanking is very different than rebuilding. Tanking is purposefully losing games to improve draft position (see pre-Duncan spurs).

Losing a lot of games because you're rebuilding is totally different. If you put 5 young guys out there and you lose a lot of games because.....well, they're young, I don't see anything wrong with that. (see 2012 Astros) As long as these young guys actually fit into your long-term plans.

I know I don't speak for a lot of short-sighted Rocket fans, but I'd rather pay to see a bunch of 1st and 2nd year guys take their lumps for a few years as long as I know 1) they have potential to get better and b) they're going to be here for more than a year.

That, to me, is a much better product than a rotating roster full of band-aid vets playing their way to 40 wins every year, then inevitably getting traded or resigning elsewhere the next year.

13. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

14. yxx1218

yxx1218 Member

It's just like we are playing 2K association mode.

15. Margrave

Margrave Member

Only with real people who have real feelings about the guy who is representing the org.

16. wadero

wadero Member

Half of the NBA is cheating if Tanking is cheating. I think these Super teams are cheating. What happen to putting in work and building ypur team to become a Champion? This crap of Dream Teams in the major markets is crap! Just like Phil Jackson never coaching a team to the playoffs that didn't have the beat player in the league and he is suppose to be the greatest coach ever? It just shows he wasnt stupid!

17. Mariachi ROCKET

About time I tell you!!! I cant wait to hear the promotion guys voice and what kind of specials they will have for this upcoming season. I heard a play back on 790 last night with the "How sweet it is" voice and I just shuck my head and sighed.... Someone hug me please. LOL

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No , I expect Parsons , Patterson , Morris , Fortson and Greg Smith to remain from last years roster.

So a 66% turnover ....

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If fielding a team of young inexperienced players is tanking knowing that it will help get a high draft pick then every NBA team that has won anything is guilty of being a cheater.

20. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

hmmm you conveniently left out one situation. The rockets barley miss the playoffs.