1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rice wants to jack up more shots

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cmellon, Jan 7, 2003.

1. cmellon

cmellon Member

Is this good or bad news?

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1726558

"That's the thing that I really try to get away from -- just being thought of as just a 3-point shooter," Rice said. "With the makeup of this team, it's pretty much had me just out there on the perimeter just shooting 3s. It's something that I've tried to get adapted to, but it's something where I know I can do a lot more.

"It's just part of what's happening with the offense. I can still post up. Games where we have posted me up, I've been very effective. I'm just waiting on the call."

2. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

yeah well letz see him do something its up to him to play better all around ball not the rest of the team

3. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Where's his wife?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He can not post up many people anymore, he simply does not have the lift in those legs.

Rice is lucky to be in the league and starting.

If he did not have the guaranteed contract, I wonder what he would be making...mid level at best.

DD

5. cmellon

cmellon Member

I think we'll be doomed.

Rice taking 15 shots per game, how 'bout that?

6. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

I am not quite sure if we have any reliable post-up option other than Yao. If Rice is the next possible one, then our PF should be ashame of themselves.

BTW, Rice, can you talk about your role in defense? Thanks.

KH

7. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

Actually the only reason Rice is out there playing is because of his offensive potential. If he is only getting five shots a game (average for the past 5 games), why bother having him out there. If he is not shooting then he should be seating. And if he is shooting and not making the shot then he definitely need to sit on the bench. His greatest contribution to the team is his offense. And if you not utilizing it or if you figure he had lost his offensive touch then he should not be on the floor and become a defensive liability. They need to find out if he can still put the ball in the basket. If he can then he should get more shot and if not then sit him and play someone else. Veterans or not they should put out there the best five players that can contribute to the team winning. Five shot a game from your startting SF who is playing only because of his offense doesn't make sense. I don't blame him for speaking out. If he think that he can still contribute then give him a chance. If he fail then replace with with Posey in the line up.

8. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

BTW, Rice, can you talk about your role in defense? Thanks.

ouch:eek:

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Give this guy a jersey retirement, a platinum watch, a frickin statue, anything....just get him off the court.

10. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

well dont say that he can shoot the 3 when he is serious. defense he is way too old

11. CY02

CY02 Member

I do agree that he is there for his outside shooting otherwise he's pretty useless. If we play him, we need to let him shoot more (take some shots away from SF and CM not YM and EG though because YM and EG shoot even less than GR). Or else all together don't play him at all.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rudy made it clear that the defenses are taking away Rice's jumper which is curtailing his chances to score.He can postup occasionally if he has a mismatch but I don't think he can do it against strong forwards.Unfortunately for us both Griffin and Mo-T are even weaker in the low post as compared to Rice at the present time but I would still like to persist with Griffin as the second option in the low post after Yao because he is improving slowly.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I think they need to throw Rice to the bench and start Posey. I think Posey would fit as a better role w/ Francis and Ming than Rice.

14. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I heard on the news that Glen Rice said the Rockets are a not good team right now,or not as good as they could be.

But apparently dude does not realize he is a big part of the problem.

15. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

then mr. rice needs to play defense! and encourage the younger ones. he has a ring

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

IMO the comments by Rice are being misconstrued. He wants the team to pass the ball more in order to create more open shots. The board has been complaining about that very same weakness exhibited by the Rocks. When the Rocks pass, they have been unbeatable. When they don't, even the Knicks win.

Rice on defense could be better, but, remember even so far back as the last game, he had some key steals and defensive stops that kept the Rockets in the game.

Also, Rice is much stronger than most small forwards and that is why he is effective at posting up. He has made his bones as a 3-point shooter, but his 10-12 foot shot is the real money.

That being said, I would prefer to see Rice as a sixth man with instant offense. I think he can be a take charge kind of guy in the "lapse" times of which the Rockets are fond.

We need to use Rice rather than abuse him.

17. DaDakota

Well said Thumbs, well said.

DD

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yesbut. Yes, but Rice keeps missing his w i d e o p e n shots. If he would just hit those the 'O' would be moving much more smoothly.

Just 'hit', baby!

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Next thing you know he will be demanding a trade to the Lakers and calling Charles Barkley a ******.

20. DaDakota

Rice has been a whiner wherever he has been, he should be giddy every day that he is on the team.

He has earned time on the Pine not in the starting lineup.

On defense we have a terrible PG a terrible PF, and a terrible SF, we need to put Posey in at SF so that at least we have 3 decent defenders on the court at the start.

DD