1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Rockets a Power Forward away from being a better team??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsmetalspd, Jan 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rocketsmetalspd

Do any of you believe that a veteran power forward would be better for the Rockets right now or should they go with what they have. If the Rockets do have one more trade, I wish they would trade MoTay for Bryant Grant of Miami. I don't even know if that is possible but I wish it is.:D

2. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

Rox's biggest problem is guards... our frontline is ok IMO...

Griffin is going to be at least as good as Horry. Taylor provides some necessary offense from 4. We can even try to play Cato at PF when tougher defense is needed. And these guys listen to the coach.

From the games I have watched, either Rudy doesn't have control on SF&Cat or SF&Cat don't know how to execute Rudy's plan.

3. baller1227

baller1227 Member

i think brian grant would be a good fit to our team but he is overpaid. i think it would be best if we just keep what we have and wait till the end of the season to make some moves, if necessary.

4. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

cat is worse than steve about not listening though

5. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

trade posey for horry..too bad it wont happen

6. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Our front-line will be just fine as Yao and Griffin develop, MoTaylor continues to lose weight, and Cato continues to come into the game and rebound.

As I've been saying since the beginning of the season, the time Rice plays is just wasted "development time" for a player like Boki.
    I do like Posey, and those two should be sharing the minutes at the '3'.
    I still don't get why we play Moochie???
    Until The Franchise learns how to control the team, as well as raise his own BB IQ, we won't be getting anywhere.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

what is this nebulous term "basketball IQ" that is constantly thrown around? and why do so many good players seem to not have "basketball IQ" in the opinion of some of the people here?

you should just replace "basketball IQ" with experience because in my opinion steve's BB IQ has to already be pretty high or else he wouldn't be the all-star level player that he is today.

other than that i agree with everything else you said.

8. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

is there a possibility to get brian grant?

9. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

horace grant is a free agent as i recall. i wonder if he is to old or anything

10. CY02

CY02 Member

Come on we all know Steve is an All-Star not because of high BB IQ, it's because of his talent and athleticism or maybe highlight reel dunks for some casual fans.

11. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

IMO.. rockets are missing a power forward right at this moment but not in the future.. even eddie said he plays a superstar power forward nearly every game.. e.g. malone/garnett/brand/nowitzki/so forth.. but waiting for him to development is the painful part..

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Kenny Thomas.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If you have played the game you don't need to ask this question, so I will assume that you have not played the game and explain it.

Whenever a player sees something happening, and reacts to it and makes a good decision with the basketball, this is a sign of good basketball IQ.

It is all about recognizing things as they develop and being able to react to what is happening, some players have it some don't.

Quick thinkers like Magic, Bird, Jordan, Stockton, Nash, Kidd etc...all have high BB-IQs.

On the Rockets, Ming has it, but the rest of the regular contributors seem to lack it.

Sometimes it can be learned, but some people just have IT when they come in the league.....the people that are quick thinkers are more apt to have a higher basketball IQ then those that don't.

It is why a player like Stockton can still be effective in his 40s while players that relied on athleticism like Dominique Wilkins lose their ability to play as their athleticism declines.

Look at Jordan, he is not near as athletic as he once was but he is every bit as effective.

DD

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I actually do know what the people mean when they say basketball IQ. I am being sarcastic, because it seems nearly every player is criticized for not having any BB IQ.

And Dominique also had a ruptured achilles tendon if you forgot and was still a great scorer at the end of his career. His BB IQ was not low just because he relied on athleticism.

Also you mentioned Nash and Kidd, but those guys didn't really have it early in their careers either.

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I am not sure about Nash but Jason Kidd has always displayed good BB IQ from his rookie year (even in his college days in California).

Smart players make basketball look easy. They let the game come to them. They make good decisions with the ball routinely. They hardly force the issue - unless warranted by an unfriendly shot clock. They usually don't beat themselves - you have to play better than them to beat them.

By the way the Rockets problem has nothing to do with her Power Forwards.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes but Kidd was a poor shooter (FG%, FT%, and 3pt%) and had off the court problems, which could led some on this BBS to say he had bad BB IQ even though he could pass.

17. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Yes and No. Having a decent 4 definitely improves the Rox, the way EG has been playing he might never live up to his potential so a good 4 will be good before he develops or in case he never does. However, the Rox probs run deeper than that (passing, hint hint).