1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao & Shaq Teammates Western Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by got-milk!, Jan 6, 2003.

1. got-milk!

got-milk! Member

People still think Yao Mean's ahead of Shaq for the All Stars because of overwhelming votes from China, but paper balloting in the USA alone puts Yao ahead! American fans who like Yao choose him because he's a charming character and is a real basketball player in this, his opening year w/ the NBA. But I apparently Americans in general vote for Yao because he's a more of celebrity than Shaq is right now. The majority vote not being the most meaningful vote; but like pop music, everybody listens to it..... but there are a lot of great non-pop music too.

As far as for the people fanciing (is that a word?) the Yao vs Shaq matchup...... they'll be teammates for the All Star game, and it'll be a unique opportunity for both Ming and Shaq to get to know each other in depth not as pro basketball players, but as brothers on the same boat. (Yao can pick up some wholesale Shaq-nique when praticing with Shaq!)

BTW. Yao Ming is still a young tiger pup out on his first hunt...... he'll definitely get pushed around by the older wild animals...... and I really don't believe Yao Ming knows himself, that he's 300 pounds! Once he knows how to use that weight..... :eek: A 130lb guy can put on 30lbs w/ 6 months intensive weight training. I would think it's reasonable for Yao Ming to have fairly-easily built an additonal 40lbs of muscular bulk by the start of next season. (296lbs+40lbs=336lbs=heavier than Shaq's listed weight at 335) I'm sure if Yao focuses strictly on weight training, he can bulk to over 400lbs... but of course, it'll mess-up his basketball game. :cool:

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The only reason Yao is going to beat out Shaq in votes this year is because Shaq was hurt in the beginning of the year. If he hadn't been hurt, there'd be no way Yao would be in the lead.

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yao Ming needs to strengthen himself while puttin on the MINIMUM amount of weight. He dosen't need weight, more upper weight will lead to leg injuries and early retirement in the long run!

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Nineteen pounds of upper body muscle and five pounds of added leg muscle will put him at 320 pounds -- which should make him both strong and immovable. Ouch!

5. fungyee77

fungyee77 Member

Wow, that's a sweet thought.:D

6. cujo

cujo Member

I think weight training has affected his shot already, but that's ok, cuz he does need to gain some upper strength. He just needs to adjust his shooting touch. The key for him is this summer. Can't wait til next year...new arena, new unis, new Yao.

7. Toast

Toast Member

You'd like to believe this, but what about Vince Carter? There are always names that get votes just because they're names. Shaq probably doesn't DESERVE quite so many votes because he was hurt, but I don't think his injury has much to do with anything.

As far as Yao & Shaq being teammates, I doubt that will happen. Common sense and history lead me to believe if Shaq isn't voted in as the starting center for the all star game, then he simply isn't going. My guess is David Robinson will go in, since this is his last year in the league. That's just a guess, though. There are other deserving centers out there who may get the call as well.

8. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Actually a lot of people from cities in Shaqs division do not like him. At last they are given a choice and they chose Yao over Shaq.

:D :D :D :D :D

9. wiredog

wiredog Member

Shaq may have been hurt at the beginning, but if you remember, Yao wasn't playing well either. It's today's stats that count. Besides, Shaq was a prick back then as he is now.

10. Heretic

Heretic Member

It's possible that a lot of Americans are just sick of Shaq and his r****ded comments.

11. houstonkk

houstonkk Member

I agree, the stats are clear.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah... Even Ben Wallace is racking up more votes than Shaq in the Eastern conference. Lakers aren't winning, and no one loves Goliath unless he is winning.

I also think that Shaq won't play so that he can rest his aging body. He can also spin it so that he's "graciously" giving it to a more deserving David Robinson.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...,0,4134823.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba

In the wake of what apparently will be a landslide All-Star victory for Yao Ming in the Western Conference center balloting, O'Neal has only been gracious.

His teammates wonder.

"It'll bother him when he gets there," Fox said of the Feb. 9 game in Atlanta. "I think it'll bother Yao when we play [in Houston]."

The Lakers play the Rockets in Houston on Jan. 17.

13. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

yao needs to put on a little upper weight not much

14. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

hakeem dominated shaq earlier in shaqs career. then hakeem got old and shaq took advantage of hakeem.

well shaq could dominate ming now...but
    ming will began to get shaq back just as shaq did hakeem after getting beat 4-0 in the 95 finals!! good theory eh?

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You make a great point here. I really don't think Yao uses his weight effectively yet. Its probably due to the transition the much more physical American style. But it drives me freaking crazy when I see Yao try to back down his man and get nowhere!! He has to bump them hard with that lower body, kinda like Charles did back in the day with his big butt. He also needs to learn how to transfer his weight effectively when he is hit so he doesn't lose position. I know he can since he is 300 lbs, but it looks like he is hesitant to do it a lot of the time.

16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

That guy has been exposed to physical American style of basketball for a little more than 2 months only. Don't expect him to be able to master everything in such a big hurry. Give him time. He will learn.

17. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

true, 2- 2 1/2 months is not long

18. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

after the season i expect the superstart crammed in his body to emerge out