1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports Illustrated analysis of Lowry trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Tang, Jul 5, 2012.

1. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

aka fairweather aka cant make up his mind aka can be easily persuaded aka diva with no brain (has a small head btw) aka feeble minded etc

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Translation: nuts on the dresser.

3. bford

bford Member

Certainly thought provoking and interesting.

4. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Actually, article is slightly off.....

We are plus 2 on first round draft picks. We also receive Memphis pick, but, with protections....

5. nickg

nickg Member

What talent? Dwight will probably cost us the majority of that, and we already missed out on the 4 most promising pgs this offseason. Unless you meant Marcus Morris and pat.

6. pli777

pli777 Member

Eitherway, I'd rather the organisation have a clear direction (one that they stick to) on where they are going in the next few years, be it rebuilding and deveop the young guns or trading for a super super star (preferrably DH12) and build around him.

As a fan though, I'd rather see the formal direction than to dump money on a star that has publicly said he's not coming.

7. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

You know, I wan't thinking of the potential cap space the Rockets can have going into next offseason. The article says they could have enough cap room to sign "two mammoth deals". Maybe Morey is going the Miami Heat route (clearing as much cap room as possible to be able to team up two stars) looking at the list of potential free agents next offseason....

PG:
    Chris Paul, Unrestricted
    Stephen Curry, Restricted
    Darren Collison, Restricted
    Jrue Holiday, Restricted

SG:
    Monta Ellis, Early Termination Option
    Andre Iguodala, Early Termination Option
    Tyreke Evans, Restricted
    James Harden, Restricted

SF:
    Josh Smith, Unrestricted

PF:
    Serge Ibaka, Restricted
    Paul Millsap, Unrestricted
    Al Jefferson, Unrestricted

C:
    Dwight Howard, Unrestricted
    Andrew Bynum, Unrestricted

8. sillyball

sillyball Member

I hope we're not trading future lottery picks for someone who has no intention of resigning. No star AND no draft picks.

9. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

what about Monta Ellis & Al Jefferson as rockets? both aren't the HUGE SUPERSTARS but maybe more reasonable...

10. pass_to_Hakeem

Gasol int going anywhere/ Bynum if anything. Lakers are gonna play their starting 5 for awhile to see how they do!!!!

11. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Only 2 superstars on that list, Howard and Paul. The rest are All-stars at best

12. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

If Dwight decides to bounce after a year then we will be left holding the bag on some bad contracts. I guess it'll be worth the risk.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

SI isn't always this spot on, but they got it right here on this write up.

The Lowry vs. intriguing pick debate is interesting, but I have to think that a team looking to move a star player is going to be more likely to be intrigued by that draft pick than a PG on a really good contract. Every GM probably thinks they could draft someone like Lowry in the late first round in their sleep right? But that pick can make them salivate a little bit.

Say what you want about Morey and the Rockets, but I love the fact that they are finally pushing their chips to the table to go all in. Star or rebuild with youth. I like the attitude. It sucks to lose two really good PG's in Dragic & Lowry for nothing but a draft pick, but we need to be honest with ourselves as fans... neighter guards were going to be centerpieces for the future.

Lets see what happens in the next few months. Its going to be an interesting 2012/2013 to say the least.

1 person likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We could go all-out tank or land a superstar at any moment. Truly a weird place to be. One thing has remained the same over the past 3 years though - the roster is STILL in flux.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

One thing to note is that Lowry takes up capspace, a 1st round pick does not. Given that Orlando wants to dump salaries, the lack of salary is certainly easier to trade.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

After next year, they will become expiring contracts for 2014. And if Dwight Howard leaves, the Rockets have so little left they go into tank mode anyway. So those guys being on the books don't really hurt us.

17. teebone21

teebone21 Member

linsanity + superman+ parsons+ ?

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wait, keeping McHale is a positive?

19. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Dwight Howard coming to Houston

i'll believe when i see it

20. eaglepoke56

eaglepoke56 Member

100% correct. You and I seem to be the only two that understand this.