1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(2012 necrobump) [ESPN] Suns, Gordon agree to 4 year, $58 million agreement

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atomicanderz, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockets_Texans

morey needs to go for things. instead being fat and just waiting on things

2. NateNate

NateNate Member

maybe it's because i don't read every single post but i agree that DD gets too much slack on here... i actually like his post.... ??

3. albuster

albuster Member

He must not have given an ipad. I guess he didn't trust Morey?

4. pass_to_Hakeem

LOL Like this is any surprise!!!!!! I know I know , I am not gonna talk s*** , we are all hopeful just like every other nba team out there OF LANDING a nice addition to the team. It just isn't happening, because we have nothing of interest. Nobody "good" wants to play for a team that has no potential.
    On to the next hopeful

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Help me understand what it is that you would have liked for the Rockets to have done with Gordon?

Would you have prefered if we had offered a max deal so that when New Orleans matches then they couldn't trade him to us under any circumstances? Do you think that Phoenix is actually going to get Gordon?

What were you hoping was going to happen? What is it that you think that Morey could have done to prevent New Orleans from matching? So, if you knew that New Orleans would match the deal, then would the better course be to give him an offer sheet or would you be better served trying to negotiate a sign and trade?

#325 aelliott, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No. After signing Gordon to a max deal ($13.5m first year), they would still have around $9.6M in cap room to work with, possibly $10M if they waive Telfair.

Not sure it matters too much since one of the other teams who lost out on the Nash sweeps will likely enter the race for Dragic. My guess is that Dragic won't choose a team until after Nash chooses his.

7. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

He has bad hair too. How can he live with himself????

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Man, a core of dragic, gordon and gortat isn't bad though.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dont stump him like that...that's not nice.

10. rock34

rock34 Member

To be honest I am kind of glad we lose out on this. Gordon has had a history of injury and I've heard that story one too many times around here already. Not only that, but he is an undersized 2 which makes him a liability to us defensively. Simply I just don't think he is worth the risk of a max contract.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hornets match.... so they are right at the start

12. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Glad he signed else where, wouldn't be so great if we signed him without moving Martin/Scola. If we had landed Josh Smith then I would definitely endorse this signing. I can see NO matching, definitely a crazy off season so far..

13. Crank

Crank Member

Gordon is injury prone and not as athletic. Bullet dodged.

14. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

If the Hornets look for a S n T with Suns, any chance we sneak in as a 3rd team and try to snag Gortat?

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I might not be understanding this, but aren't the Suns out of the running now for a SnT with Gordon?? And the Hornets cannot SnT Gordon until December with any other team as well now.....right?? I'm sure the Rockets have no problem waiting until then if they do, but I'm just saying....

16. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Good news for us. Taking out suns out of the FA race.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Lol, you're probably right. I'm not super CBA saavy.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if there is still a way for the Rockets to get in there.

So far, all we have are PHX and Gordon threatening to sign a max offer and NOH threatening to match. That's it. No actual offer signed with anybody. Chances are PHX will need to offer NOH something in a S&T to stop NOH from matching. NOH may not like paying Gordon the max, but even at the max Gordon has significant trade value as reflected by the fact that HOU is offering a significant package to S&T for him at the max. Now, of course if they match they cannot trade him without his consent for 1 year, but even with that restriction Gordon has value.

Here's where HOU comes in: Is PHX willing to pony up a sufficient amount in a S&T to make Hornets do it? In light of the quite significant package that HOU is said to be offering, PHX will need to at least come close to matching what the Rockets offer (Kevin Martin + 2 or 3 of their best prospects) or else NOH might be better off just matching Gordon and take their chances. Not, if PHX is unwilling to come up with the assets in a S&T, it could put everyone back in square 1 and force Gordon to either return to NOH or to find a more acceptable S&T partner.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Screwed again? Gordon's nice but he's not worth max contract. Think about it, Gordon's making as much as KD and Rose, more than Lebron and Bosh. LOL

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if part of this was brought on by the Rockets.

If we don't move up to take Lamb, does Phoenix take him? And do they still go after Gordon? Probably, just like we did, but still curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.