1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate our youngsters and future draft picks in terms of trade value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Jul 3, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

in terms of trade value.

In my opinion,

1. Jeremy Lamb - rookie with upside.

2. Royce White - rookie with incredible upside but baggage.

3. Chandler Parsons - proven talent in 2nd year with upside.

4. Motie - 7-foot Euro with NBA size and skillset

5. Dallas pick - unknown potential, possibly the 21st pick in next year's draft and possibly a future lottery selection, you have to value the potential of a future lottery pick.

6. Terrence Jones - unproven rookie who underperformed in college

7. Patrick Patterson - 3rd year player, injured, looks to have more talent limits than other guys

8. Marquis Morris - 2nd year player that showed nothing in his first year

9***. 2015, 2017 first round picks - unknown value that could spike up this list based on whether they involve lottery protection or not. In any case they combined with the Dallas pick should be morevaluable than 3 Nets first round draft picks if Dwight is traded to Brooklyn vs. the possibility of being traded here and walking away after next season.

I think Lamb and White could flip in trade value pretty easily. They are both fresh rookies and a dominant summer league performance by Royce would very easily flip him to the top of this list.

I'm thinking of this in terms of trade value because probably 3 of these and possibly 4 of these will be used up in a Dwight trade. Possibly 3 plus the Dallas pick or possibly 4 of these guys.

I am not including the possibility of flipping Lowry, Martin, or Scola for future first round picks. Just not sure of their values right now. I would think Lowry would actually represent the best value. He should be worth a top 6 protected draft pick from somebody. Scola should be worth a draft pick from a playoff team, likely a pick in the 20's. And Martin....just can't tell. He's an expiring contract. Should be worth a pick in the 20's as well.

Anyways, when you lay out our assets, it should make you feel a lot more at ease regarding these trade talks with Brooklyn. Brooklyn cannot even approach our trade value. It's simply a matter of how much is Morey willing to give up to beat out Brooklyn and is there another team out there that can give Orlando a better rebuilding package of young players, draft picks, and expirings and the ability to take back salary along with Dwight.

#1 jopatmc, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Motiejunas - Surefire top 10 pick level talent
    Parsons - Surefire top 10 pick level talent
    Lamb - Borderline top 10 pick level talent

All others are just at the level of a mediocre 1st round pick at best, high 2nd rounder at worst.

3. jopatmc

Ahhhh, forgot Motie. have to edit.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. . . . If they traded everyone over 30
    and then goto war with them . . .i'd watch

Rocket River

5. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

How did Terrence Jones Underperform in college?

6. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Thats what I was about to ask.

7. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

If Im Rockets GM, then I'm tempted to see what I can get from the Suns for Marcus Morris.

8. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

People are really sleeping on Terrance Jones like he's some sort of scrub. The guy has great talent and will be a very important role player for us one day. That whole great at nothing but ok at everything just isn't true. He's above average at alot of things.

9. jopatmc

Just my opinion of the situation regarding his trade value. I feel like his biggest knock is inconsistency and not shining in college when he is very physically gifted. Just my opinion though. I started the thread to see what other established guys that I respect think about the trade value of our youngsters and picks.

10. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Well you must didn't watch Kentucky much

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

1) Motie - Easily the best. Young legit 7 footer with skills.
    2) Parsons - Insanely cheap contract and proven NBA starter.
    3) Lamb - Borderline all star upside with relatively high floor.
    4) White - Huge upside and downside.
    5) Jones - Quality prospect
    6) Patterson - High floor, relatively low ceiling. Good backup.
    7) Morris - Hasn't proven anything.

12. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Kind of hard to shine when 5 other players from your team get drafted as well. It's not really a knock on him. If he develops a good post game working with Mchale he'll be starting before the season ends.

I'd go

1) Royce White
    2) Parsons
    3) DMo
    4) Lamb
    5) Jones
    6) Patterson
    7) Morris

13. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Looks like a good group of youngsters to start building a team around. Hey that's a great idea, any team would be lucky to have such a good looking group as a foundation to build with along with future picks.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think DMo is at least 3 behind Royce & Lamb just because he is a 7 footer with advanced low post skills that can rebound. Personally I think Royce will turn out to be the best of the bunch but not how I see them valued around the league.

Lamb
    DMo
    White
    Parsons
    Dallas Pick
    PPat
    Terrence Jones
    Marcus Morris

15. jopatmc

Any thoughts on the trade values of Lowry, Scola, and Martin are welcome as well. I was looking at a possible trade on trade machine with Sacramento. Lowry and Scola for the expirings of Garcia and Evans. Wondering if Sacramento would toss in a pick in that deal. Wondering if a team like ATL would toss us a first round pick for one of Lowry or Scola? Still wondering if we could squeeze a first rounder out of Minny along with expirings for Martin.

16. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Just realized that this thread was not about ranking the players in terms of ability but in terms of value.. let me start over

1) Parsons (actually has played in the league and is only in his 2nd year)
    2) DMO (7 footer with scoring ability)
    3) Lamb
    4) White
    5) Patterson
    6) Jones
    7) Morris

17. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

^this

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, why should the GARM be any different than the front office...

19. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Hell yeah

20. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Who is marquis Morris?