1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need Wang "Dodger" Zhi Zhi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jh3lau, Jan 5, 2003.

1. jh3lau

jh3lau Member

Wang is a good shooter (2-pt and 3-pt)
    He has good size (7'1'' and 275lbs)
    With his size , we can zone any teams we want and able to recover. Just imagine with yao and wang packing the paint...that really stops people penetrating

Also, Wang is hungry for minutes and he will play his butt off when on court.
    He's getting better each year.

We should make a trade with the Clippers

2. CY02

CY02 Member

Forget it. Wang Zhi Zhi is not good enough.

3. jh3lau

jh3lau Member

he's improving steadily
    and he is shooting 43.5% from beyond the arc

his presence really helps the rox

4. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

Wang Zhi Zhi could be the pure shooter, Matt Bullard type that we are looking for and need.

5. cas

cas Member

if i wanted a pure shooter i wouldn't trade boki for wang

6. dmkin

dmkin Member

wang has a poor defense!!!!(do not thinking about his improvement,i mean now)if wang comes in ,our opponents will dance in the paint.so wang is not a man we wanted most if not concerning business.

7. MadMonk

MadMonk Member

Wang is too selfish in looking for his shot and a
    slacker on D. Put him on the floor with Steve, Cat
    or Rice and Yao would never see the ball again.
    Also has a reputation for a cold and standoff-ish
    personality and might not be good for a team looking
    for chemistry at the moment.

8. fungyee77

fungyee77 Member

I suppose many of you on this thread are CBA fans. So perhaps it's a good forum to ask this.

I have heard SO much about Wang ZZ. Even in Dallas, the players were raving about his skills initially. I had never put much stock into it, until Yao came here and showed what he can do. Then I got to thinking, this ZZ guy must be pretty good because Yao kept talking about how he studied his play for years and so on.

Golly, most opponents are studied one or two days before a match. To study ZZ for years indicates that ZZ was really heads and shoulders above everyone else in the CBA.

Was that really the case? I mean, all I've seen from him here is his 3 point shooting and flashes of his scoring ability when he had playing time. What type of player is he really? Do you think he REALLY can be a gd player if given a chance?

I'd love to know more.

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

What exactly is a Wang Dodger? Or is this something we really don't want to know?:D

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

Another "Trade for Wang Zhi Zhi" thread.

Death and Taxes. :)

I hear Hu Weidong (CNT starter at guard) is available too. :rolleyes:

11. fungyee77

fungyee77 Member

hahaha...forgive me, but I really AM curious about all the hype. :p

I mean, Yao could hardly have developed in a vacuum. He must have had some semblence of competition. ZZ's the MJ of China man... 5 straight championships @ 25. Then he comes here and is outshone by Yao. So, I'm wondering...

haha...but seems no one's gonna stick out their neck to answer me on this one though...

12. Timing

Timing Member

You've got to be kidding. We already have our no defense playing power forward, thank you very much.

13. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Maybe he was MADE to study him, so there would be the utmost chance of Yao winning. Never know. :rolleyes:

14. micah1j

micah1j Member

Please, not again!

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hey, we haven't had a "Trade for Bateer" thread in a week or so. C'mon, you slackers, get moving!

16. zenkle

zenkle Member

Wang was a better C in CBA than Yao for sure. Top scorer, very skillful. He always showed some C-style movement in CBA, and dominated the paint for many years.

However, problems are:
    1, He changed his style of playing to fit into the tactical need of Dallas. He gradually became a SF rather than a C, who can shoot three pt but doesn't have low post offense.

2, D was an obvious problem for Wang in CBA. But the problem was somewhat overlooked in CBA because of his dominating offence skills and his reputation as the best C in China. Unfortuntely, he hasn't improve this disadvantage enough in NBA.

3, His personality and language problems really hampered him inside and outside the court. He doesn't like to communicate with others that much. (which doesn't mean that he is not a good man. He actually is, but just a bit too closed) Taking into account of his poor Eng, this problem is even worse. He love the game. He love bball. But he didn't show his strong desire and willingness in the bball court. (also because of his personality)

So the solution is:
    1, Teammates need to give Wang more supports and understanding. If they trust him, his performance will be a lot better.
    2, Wang need to change his attitude. Spend more times in Eng learning. Learn to be more sociable with teammates. Learn to be tougher on the court. Strive to recover his C skills rather than diving blindly into his SF style three pt shot.

Wang certainly has the bball talent. Suppose he has the same character as Yao, his performance would not be quite different as what Yao is doing now. But...... I would say, his chance of fumbling out from the tunnel is half-half. So to trade him in can be a success or a risk, depending on how he change his attitude. Given that Rox already have many talents in the team now, it seems that Wang should not be traded in under the circumstances.

17. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

Yeah, we suppose we could trade Yao for Wang.

Here are the reasons:
    1. Wang is older, so he's more mature.
    2. Wang shoots 3s better, did you see Yao's last second shot last night? That was horrific.
    3. Wang's ties with the Chinese government is gone, so we don't have to be nagged by them anymore.
    4. Wang is more agile (Yao said that himself).
    5. Wang's name is more exotic than Yao's. You know, weirder names always mean better skills.
    6. Wang has better hair style than Yao.
    7. Wang's shorter, so people won't always attribute his success to his size.
    8. Wang is quieter. Yao's talking all the time, and Wang hardly says anything.
    9. Wang has more experience. He's a 3 years veterran, and has much more NBA experience than Yao.
    10. Wang is wanger than Yao, and less yaoer than Yao. In Chinese, wanger means better, and yaoer means worse.

Damn, what are we waiting for? TRADE YAO FOR WANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. zenkle

zenkle Member

Hey, dude. Why are you so irritated? There are NOT a lot of people who support trading Yao for Wang in this thread.

It is just discussion. State your point and present a proper arguement pls.:rolleyes:

19. drapg

drapg Member

someone answer this man.

what the hell does Wang "Dodger" Zhi Zhi mean?

is he a draft dodger or something?

20. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I think he's referring to Wang skipping his obligations to the Chinese National Team.

Why aren't there any "We Need Pat Garrity" threads?

Because its stupid just like these Wang Zhi Zhi threads.