1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets actively shopping Luis Scola (UPDATE: Rockets, Nets talks fell apart)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 30, 2012.

1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Well then why would Washington do this trade? Do they really want Scola? Come on man

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

How about this? Maybe someone who follows this stuff can flesh out the details because it will require all the FAs involved to resign with their current team and then be traded? I think there might be some kind of waiting period involved with that, though. Anyway, here goes...

HOUSTON/Out: Luis Scola, Kyle Lowery, Courtney Lee
    HOUSTON/In: Brook Lopez and Anthony Morrow

The idea is to get younger and to make NJ appealing to DHoward and keep him out of the West. Lowry can mentor Tyshawn Taylor. Scola is a clever complement to DHoward and Brookly will love him.

With Lopez we get a guy we can play at the 5 for a few years backed up by Camby and G Smith and whoever else comes down the pike.

Morrow replaces Courtney Lee (More O, Less D)

We still shop Martin for another piece or a future pick.

3. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Deron and Kidd are heading to Brooklyn, why would they need Lowry

4. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Not aware of the Kidd rumors. Still Lowry could help until TTaylor is ready (if ever), then move him on. Or replace Lowry with Marcus Morris and move Lowry to Toronto if they don't sign Nash.

6. uofhpikapp91

uofhpikapp91 Member

People on this board really don't appreciate their own players! People saying that Luis and Martin are terrible are completely misguided. Both have problems defensively but both are very good offensively. Also, for those "smart" people who want to trade them for picks and no players, the money has to work within 25%. In other words, that would be impossible!

7. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

They are good offensively, but not at the status of a dominant player in any facet of the game. They will both have sporadic bursts of points, but Scola is on the twilight approaching years.

But yeah, the trading players for picks only would work if you add cash to a deal or someone that has such a small paycheck that they wouldn't put the other team down much a few percentages. But I dunno what the hell I'm talking about. I hate reading rules all the time.

8. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

they are role players. They've had their chances the last 2-3 years, what has been the results?

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, I want it to be a rebuild.

But, based on what we've seen and heard from Les during his tenure, along with the rumors, I'm guessing we're looking at big deals that have more to do with the immediate future.

OMT on Luis ....He should have been dealt after the WC's.

That said, even with his contract, Scola probably has mid 1st round value (or the equivalent) to a contender. You put him with a 5 that can deliver offensively AND defensively, Luis helps the spacing with his J, will play on a high level, and help that team get there.....kind of like Shane in that regard...

It's a cliche, but true .......Luis is the consumate pro and while I hate to see him go, it's time.

#169 Plowman, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  10. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Their time with us is up.. most peoples problems are they overappreciate their players and assume their trade value should be higher than it is.. which causes a good trade to be looked at as garbage.

11. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

People on this board also tend to overvalue these players.

12. Htown's2kFinest

Dragic
    Lee
    Parsons
    Patterson
    Camby(?)

Aside from Dragic where do you see the scoring coming from? Teams will focus on Dragic and make the other guys beat them. That's not a real balance lineup. We would need someone that can be score the ball and take the pressure off of Dragic. If the GM doesn't get someone good in free agency/trade, Lamb or White I hope ends up being in the lineup.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Oh, I know it won't happen. Just blowing smoke / talking s**t.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Great post! Another thought would be scola and lowry for to Utah for Al Jefferson. That kind of trade would give utah a pg and take dragic off their radar. It also open more minutes for favors. For the rockets, al had his best yr under mchale, he has 1 yr left,and he's a center who's under 30. In fact, he's like 28. They could still compete and rebuild at the same time. If something moves for howard, jefferson and his expiring contract is huge.

15. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Why would they need Lowry? They have Devin Harris and they just traded for Mo Williams.

Utah is set right now, they got bigs (Kanter, Favors, Millsap, Jefferson) and PGs (Williams, Harris)

16. tofu--

tofu-- Member

He's our only real tradeable asset but man oh man do I want to keep him.

Morey please keep Scola. He has too much heart and grit to leave.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I'm not saying Scola and Martin are garbage, I'm just saying we'd be better suited as a franchise if they weren't here. Best of luck to 'em, and no hard feelings.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Martin and Scola are valuable offensive players that could really help a young breakthrough play off team off the bench.

But even if you really wanted one of them, especially the PF, why would you offer anything in trade? The Rockets are over a barrel.

19. albuster

albuster Member

This. And many here think things will work out well for the future. There are very few players in the NBA now who have that do or die and warrior mentality and the rare one is being shopped by this god-forsaken joke of a franchise.

The "smart" ones here have been posting for years, and the young ones keep talking trade, but the Rockets have not gone anywhere for more than a decade now and all the analysis and predictions have gone by the wayside.

It is fun posting on and reading blogs but it is getting to be a bit worrisome if all that is talked about are trades, unlike contending teams where the topic of most blogs are how their players are doing and how other teams will be smashed.

It used to be that whenever the NBA season starts, the talk around town is who will the Rockets want to meet deep in the playoffs and which team in the East would most likely play the Rockets in the finals. It's sad. It's sadder still when there is no stability and no foundation in a team. Scola embodied some of the warrior traditions of the Rockets and he is still the best post player the Rockets have, but as is customary for this team nowadays, trading is the norm and it seems to give Morey and his worshippers here a great high whenever a trade or even rumor of a trade is written or talked about.

There is nothing wrong with trading, it is necessary and vital for teams to complete trades, but to make hundreds of transactions over the past five years and end up with a team that would require still more transactions and so on, is insane.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Considering that is more than Scola averaged, I think the 17 pts is a little exaggerated.