1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It’s time to end the “Jordan myth” surrounding one Rocket title

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mav-Hater, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Interesting read in the Chronicle today about Jordan and the Rockets. Now I have taken a boat load of crap from people on this board for telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I would tell people Jordan served a 2 year ban for gambling and Stern ended the ban after 18 months due to low TV ratings. Everyone called it a retirement to play baseball but he was under intense gambling investigation at the time of his "retirement". Check out the last line of the article!!

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootba...the-jordan-myth-surrounding-one-rocket-title/

It’s time to set the record straight on this nonsense. If you put an “asterisk” next to championships, you are a loser. Sorry guys. If I called you a loser because you are one of the people doing it, then that’s on you.

The Houston Rockets won back to back championships in 93-94 and 94-95 and they busted their tails to get both titles just as every championship team does.

What really irks me is the incredible amount of people who believe that Michael Jordan didn’t play in either of those years. Sure, some of us know that in 1995 he came back to the Bulls, made it into the playoffs and was beaten by the Magic 4-2; however, you would be shocked at how many people simply think Jordan didn’t play that year. You might be one of them.

Mythbusters, Foolz

Myth: “Jordan was a shell of his former self and couldn’t carry the Bulls like in other years.”

Z-Report says: Bull—-!

Jordan played in only 17 games that year after coming back from his super successful stint as a minor league baseball player and there were times he was clearly rusty. However, Jordan dropped 55 on the New York Knicks in the Garden in his 5th game back. Don’t let anyone lie to you and act like Jordan was a scrub that year…. especially by the time the playoffs rolled around.

In the 1994-1995 playoffs, Jordan scored 32 or more in five of his 10 playoff games and shot 48.4% from the field which was higher than each playoff run in his next three title seasons.

Michael Jeffrey Jordan (1994-1995 Playoffs)

Points Per Game: 31.5
    Rebounds Per Game: 6.5
    Assists Per Game: 4.5
    FG%: 48.4%
    FT%: 81.0%
    3Pt%: 36.7%

Against the Orlando Magic, Jordan had games of 38, 40 and 39 so you can save your “but he was #45!! It just wasn’t the same!!” crybaby routine. Jordan in the regular season was a shell of himself. Jordan in the playoffs was starting to ball…. HARD.

The simple fact is that Orlando was playing really well that year and had superior talent with Shaq, Penny, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott and Horace Grant. Granted, that team ended up imploding and being dismantled eventually after Shaq left, but in 1994-1995, they were really tough

All Your Bigs Belong to Dream

And for those of you who want to automatically assume that “if Jordan had played the whole year, they would have for sure beaten the Rockets” card, keep in mind what Hakeem Olajuwon did to David Robinson that year. You remember “The Admiral” don’t you? He was the MVP that year and Dream went full-on SNUFF FILM on him. Oh, but I’m sure the matchup against Luc Longley, Bill Wennington and Will Perdue would have been too much to handle for Dream.

In 1994-1995, Hakeem Olajuwon punished anyone and anything in his path averaging 33 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 4.5 APG, 2.9 BPG and 53.1% from the field. He scored 31 or more in nine of his last 10 playoff games and hitting 40+ three times against Robinson and 39 against him in one other game. Once again, Robinson was the MVP that year.

Against Shaq, Dream really fell off hard scoring only 31, 34, 31 and 35 in their playoff sweep over the Magic….. the same Magic team who had beaten Jordan and his scrub center crew of Longley, Wennington and Perdue. Jordan and the Bulls wouldn’t have beaten the Rockets with or without the gambling ban that forced him to baseball pursuit of his childhood dream of playing baseball.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

he writes like a middle schooler.

all accurate though, and all things houstonians already know.

3. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

I keep getting told Jordan wasn't suspended and that was not a common opinion among those of us actually alive back then. Many people in the media believed Jordan was asked to step away to take the black eye off of basketball that it's best player being involved in a Gambling. There was an investigation into his father's murder about whether it was related to Jordan's gambling. On the board I keep getting told I am making it up when I mention it. Just pointing out I am not alone.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What he said is the truth.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...the simple solution here is to hang out with smarter people.

Preaching to the choir isn't going to really get you where you want to go regarding Jordan revisionists. Your likely going to have to learn that people don't just unlearn decades of Nike propaganda overnight.

6. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Malcolm Gladwell had a great exchange about why people believe in conspiracies. Essentially, he said it makes us feel better to have some elaborate story, almost like it's a form of entertainment. If you believe that David Stern kicked Jordan out of the league for a year and a half at his peak, even though not one person to this day has come out about it, you are deluding yourself into a far more entertaining explanation than what is true. But alas, the lottery is rigged, 9/11 was an inside job, there were aliens at Roswell and the mob murdered JFK. Haha.

That being said, I agree with your statement that the Rockets would have beaten the Bulls.

7. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

Basketball is a team game....The Bulls would never have beaten the Rockets in 95...(They had no quality bigs.) They wouldn't have have won in 96-98 without Rodman who was gifted to them by the Spurs for will freaking perdue.

Preach on Lance

8. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

hate to be rude, but i could care less about that right now

anything not pertaining to the draft, involving Josh Smith, Dwight Howard, Deron Williams, and draft picks involving the Rockets( i could care less about until after thursday)

9. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

How many rep points did you just get from tinman??? ;)

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Hate talking about things we never got to see happen. Bulls vs Rockets Finals, Yao-Tmac full potential, Dwight Howard, ect. ect. Ok well maybe we get to see Howard happen....

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I thought his team sucks? Which made Jordan wanting to come back?

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

13. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I agree that there was one team the 94 and 95 Rockets couldn't beat, but that team was not the Bulls.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sarcasm.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No wonder I understood him very easy.

16. Pocket Rockets

So glad that team went out in the first round both years

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Also, If I remember well the head-to-head games between the bulls and rockets in early 90s, the rockets won more games, but I dont remember the stats.

18. Trackball

Trackball Member

While it is true that Blake posted a comprehensive analysis of how stupid this argument was two years ago (which he linked to)...

Considering how often we get told how our titles are worthless (I stopped watching "God, the Devil and Bob" back in the day for that very reason), THIS CANNOT BE SAID OFTEN ENOUGH.

There's a trope for that.

19. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I am IROC it, and I approve my post.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Do you take into account that Horace Grant had been allowed to leave Chicago for almost nothing, leading them to have no pf (as their owner figured that it wasn't worth paying borderline all stars with no real title hope), and he also happened to be playing for the team that beat them?