1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you give up the #14 and #16 picks of this draft to land Pau Gasol?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by i_win_biatches, Jun 19, 2012.

?

would you do it?

1. Yes

24.1%
  2. No

75.9%
  1. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Could one of the 84 people who voted yes please explain to me what they find appealing about Gasol? With the greatest player in the league, and and AllStar center this guy couldnt do squat, what would he do here?

2. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

We really need a superstar and he's the answer if he comes here. I know he's getting older but having a young roster around him would help Rockets a lot because he would teach young players about winning.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

He's not a superstar by any meaning, but he's still a good center with a unique skill set that wasn't really utilized when Bynum emerged. He'd be the 2-year "training wheels" for our team since we absolutely refuse to tank.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The same Gasol also won two titles and made it to the Finals 3 times with the Lakers team. Last year's team was mis-matched and not as talented as before. Kobe and Artest go old and looked old, they lost Phil Jackson and Lamar Odom, the team got very little from players 3-15 (hell, Jordan Hill became a rotation player there when he couldn't get off the bench toward the end of his Rockets tenure), they gave Bynum the post and made Gasol work 15 ft away

Gasol is a top 10-15 player in the league still, and one of the very few effective 2-way 7 footers in the league. He can be a foundation piece of a championship team. You can't find another Gasol with the 14th and 16th pick in the draft. You can find another Scola, and another mid-first-rounder.

5. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

HE'S OLDER

6. Carl Herrera

Still better than any player on the Rockets roster and any player drafted 14 or 16 in the last 6 years. And will be for at least the remainder of his contract.

7. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

He might be a valuable piece for a contender but Pau on this team is not going anywhere. If anything we will be a first round playoff bounce. Making the playoff means nothing to me. I want a title. Did OKC go after Karl Malone when he was on his last legs? No they did what they needed to in order to get Durant, Westbrook. No more bandaids , thats all i ask.

8. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Durant,Lebron,Kobe,Westbrook,Rondo,Harden,Wade,Bosh,Bynum,Parker,Melo,Horford,Rose,Granger,Aldridge,Howard,Paul,Williams,Griffin,Dirk,Pierce. I just named 20 guys that are better without even thinking about it. Pau isnt even the best Gasol in his family.

9. Carl Herrera

You did not.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I really do have to disagree. Did the Rockets not come within 4 games of the 6th seed with 2 out of their 3 best players injured? Hey take basically the same team and upgrade significantly their worst roster position - center - with a top 15 player in the NBA and how far could they go? You don't know and neither do I.

#70 jtr, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You are right.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

IDK if you were watching the playoffs.....
    Gasol has been a Top 20 player for stretches... then he disappeared......
    This is like a 7 ft version all star version of Kevin Martin.

I like his offensive game and defensive presence but his speed is not up to the task of today's game.... other big man are quicker than this guy

He is a player to reach the playoffs and win one round or so..... but not a championship piece any more..... unless you have Lebron and Wade, that is just one scenario out of 20.
    The West just got tougher but he began to decline

BTW Asik is not a difference maker either right now

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Gasol's playoff performance was hampered immensely by Bynum's presence in the low post. Pau's game is down on the low block. Also Kobe acted like a complete black hole.

So what you are saying is that traditional centers such as Bynum, Marc Gasol, Hibbert, Cousins etc are no longer effective in todays NBA???? Please feel free to correct me if I am taking your statement wrong.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Those are real centers.... Pau is a tweener and his hands are not that quick to begin with...compared to those that you mentioned....

I agreed already to trade for him just prove you guys wrong ;)
    Griffin will put on clinic on this guy and aint going to be pretty

15. barabbas14

barabbas14 New Member

Why the H not?

No, really. Why wouldn't you do this?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol hampered by an immature kid?
    So you are telling me the veteran presence did do nothing for them Lakers.....not surprising.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Griffin is a power forward in case you had not noticed. And of those centers I mentioned only Bynum is better than Gasol. In case you had not noticed Gasol is 7 footer and 265 pounds and can bang with the best of them. He has a greater shooting range than any of them. And he is by far and away the best passer.

IMHO of course.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

If you do not understand the complete roster mess that the Lakers fielded this year please see Carl's posts above. Or I will take the time to explain it to you. Do you have any idea what I am talking about?

19. Carl Herrera

You think the 14+16th pick is worth more than Lowry? You think Scola+14th+16th would get you someone better than Gasol?

20. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

would rather use that package to get Pek from Minny, or Big Al from Utah