1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Of all the NBA Busts, which one(s) did you think would have a great career?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Jun 10, 2012.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Adam Morrison: Thought he would've been a decent level pro. Not an all-star, but at least a JJ Reddick or Marvin Williams caliber player.

Yi Jianlian: TRICKED by unbelievable athleticism and could build upon them with enough marginal skills.

Shaun Livingston: Had the potential to be a really outstanding point guard, but the injuries did him in . . .

Eddie Griffin: His personal demons sort took away from his promising career.

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

does greg oden count?

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yeah any player you can think of, but anyone who has mild success in the NBA. I probably wouldn't list.

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

Thought Morrison would've been better as well. Also think Livingston would've benefited from a couple years under Coach K if he had pursued a collegiate career.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Terrence Williams

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Yi and Eddie Griffin I agree with. Yi came out with so much hype, I think from watching him a little he just didn't have the passion. His skillset was still good.

I also wonder if Kwame Brown didn't have Jordan completely embarrass him at a young age, if that didn't stop his career from going anywhere.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I thought Danny Fortson was going to be the second coming of Charles Barkley. He had a decent career, but certainly never played at anything approaching the level of Barkley. I also thought a lot of Marcus Fizer, who did not have a good career.

Those assessments led me to the conclusion I would not make for a good NBA scout.

8. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I expected big things from Eddie Griffin, but he never got his head together.

RIP, dude.

9. Mr. Space City

jimmer fredette

10. thething

thething Contributing Member

I thought Gerald Green was going to be great. He had all the tools to be an all-star, but slipped in the draft to 17 and never put it together in Boston.

11. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Harold Miner. I didn't think he'd ever live up to the "Baby Jordan" moniker, but I didn't think he'd up being so awful. I thought he had the talent to at least average around 14 points a game with a couple of exiting dunks per game. I didn't think think he'd peak as a slam-dunk champ for his entire short career.

12. SPF35

SPF35 Member

livingston looked really special, injuries were ashame

morrison showed flashes his rookie year, if he had a coach with full confidence in him to let him run some isos and give him rope, i think he would've developed into a good off the bench instant scoring guy. But after tearing his acl and falling under brown's dog house, his confidence and rhythm never recoveeed. He did show flasehs his rookie year with a couple 25+ games, i remember 30 on bruce bowen even

Gerald Green....could shoot, jump out of the gym...just didn't have the mind for it, but it was interesting that last year after so long he made some eap to being a role player so maybe its not too late for him

13. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Joe Smith. The 1st pick of the draft. Long, ran the floor well, good hands, nice touch on this shots and blocked shots.

I remember Rick Adelman raving about his game. How, if we loved Chris Webber, we'd love Joe Smith. Basically a sure thing.

He had an ironic nickname. "Not Your Average Joe". But, that's what he ended up being for his career the NBA, an average Joe.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think you overrate Shaun Livingston. There were times he looked like a special player in the making (I was on the bandwagon for a while), but usually he was passive and disappeared for long stretches at a time. He was a tease and didn't have the motor to be a reliable player over a long stretch of games. Predictably, after he went down people overrated his prospects if he had stayed healthy. Same for Jason Williams from Duke, who had a disappointing rookie season.

For me, seeing Morrison in 2-3 NBA games is all it took to conclude he didn't have it.

I thought Jeff Green would be better.

At Kansas State, Michael Beasley didn't display much flakiness and instability that I could see. I had him pegged as ROTY.

I thought Jonny Flynn had a bright future. Swing and a miss.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Swift, Luke Jackson, and Bogut. I thought Bogut could reach Robinson status.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Ekpe Udoh, I thought would've been like Serge Ibaka.

Evan Turner (not really bust), not a bad player in any sense, but I thought he would've been near borderline all-star who was worthy #2 on a good team and definitely #1 on a mediocre squad. Though, he still could, but it will take a little of patience.

Anthony Randolph (drafted late to be a big busts), he's still a good player, but I don't think he's found the right team, yet. Though, I sort of thought he would've had few good seasons or two as a starter.

Historical picks ... Pervis Ellison and Roy Tarpley, because of they actually showed promise in the NBA and had a good season or too. But feel off the map.

NFL (off topic):

Tim Couch - Was the most shocking bust to me, because he did so well on a mediocre college team in a tough conference.

Vernon Gholston - I thought he would've been a beastly player in the NFL.

JaMarcus Russell - He sort of had all of the tools, except work ethic. I thought if he had just a tad bit of work ethic. At worst, Russell could've been an average starter.

17. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Explanation needed on that one, lol.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's not fair to call Livingston a bust. He was a high schooler, who was just starting to figure it out in his 3rd year when he basically had a career ending injury. Same with Greg Oden, he was clearly at least a good NBA center in the brief time he had, never had a chance to develop.

Adam Morrison had bust written all over him, college volume shooters (Fredette,Morrison,Kemba) with no true NBA position almost always fail. Same goes for obscene athletes with no work ethic and a deficient IQ (Swift, Gerald Green)

Kenyon Martin for me. He still ended up being a good NBA player, Jason Kidd made him look better than he actually was. He had the tools be a great PF.

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

if he kept practicing his hook shots and footwork he would of been a decent center