1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

People (Especially Immature Young Adults) Suck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Jun 9, 2012.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

So you had a young person walk out on a restaurant job?

Color me shocked.

2. aghast

aghast Member

Don't be surprised that he quit, especially if you felt you could afford to pay him more and chose not to.

However, I agree it generally is good strategy to demand a raise before threatening to quit and work for the competition.

For those criticizing the quitting, how else do you demand raises? Do you all really just wait until your boss feels like giving you one? The threat of quitting (and disrupting the workplace by quitting) is the only leverage a non-union employee has to request a raise, whether that threat is made explicitly or not.

Though, threat of working for the competition is probably not so convincing here, as the competition in this case is Subway.

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

His job isn't one of utmost importance since there are 3 others who do the exact job he does. Even if it was important, like one of the cooks or something, I still wouldn't call him back. It will just be a bigger problem down the road. If he had simply waited another month, he would have gotten the raise anyway. His friends make more than him because they have been here for more than 6 months.

bah anyway, I'm already looking for someone else. It's just annoying because the whole situation could have been easily avoided had the guy had a working brain cell.:mad:

4. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

I once quit a job the day of for another higher paying job (the only training for they were having for the season started the day I found out I had it) So I was siding with the employee until I read further.

The kid lacks logic.. We just might see him in the white house someday

5. hotballa

because he's too stupid tbh also, I never bring back an employee who's quit on bad terms, especially one who doesn't even give me the courtesy of a couple days notice.

6. hotballa

The simplest way is to simply ask me for a raise, at which point I will tell him the same thing I told him and all his friends when I hired them, that his performance will be reviewed after a 6 month period and be raised if he is doing well.

I'm over the quitting thing, turnover in the restaurant industry is really high to begin with. Like you said, when a guy has unpaid bills, I would expect for him to at least ask for a raise before quitting. Who in their right mind quits with the hope that the boss will give them a raise to stay? I just don't understand the logic.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Walked out onna a job,
    Almost missed ma trainin'
    Loggin' on da board
    An' I see dis fool complainin!

Worried 'bout him,
    But not about his crew,
    Des-ti-na-tion-six-teen-hun-dred-penn-syl-van-ia-a-ve-nue!
    He-ey, he-ey, he-ey...
    He-ey, he-ey, he-ey...

8. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I agree, it's just too bad he didn't ask for a raise before he walked out

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yM_St0dqye8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Do you give two eels notice to employees you fire? Honest question.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Typo or movie reference? "Hey, you just now comin' in? You see this eel, right?"

1 person likes this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking more like:

My job at Mickie Ds was fu***ckin me with no grease
    I worked so damn hard, but the money, it never increased.
    I quit my fu***ckin job, I had no job *****h
    Put on the mask, get the glock, it's time to rob *****h.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Clean up yo' damn place you live like a slob *****h,
    Take off yo' wristwatch, get yo' self a fob *****h.

1 person likes this.
  14. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I think it's a chinese food delivery thingy or something.

LOL, I second codell's sentiments...jeez, you mean hiring kids that lack basic job skills, have very few responsibilities, and don't really "need" this job to support anyone else but themselves are going treat this job like a career? What the heck is this world coming to?

You've decided to go into the this business, right? You need to wake up if you think this sort of thing and many more instances like this would/will never happen. It's a trade off...you go into business for yourself which requires low paid unskilled workers then you have to put up with the turnover...if you don't like it maybe you should go do something else?

Damn, this forum is going to get annoying as hell if everyone just starts threads about things that piss them off at the career they chose.

15. sbyang

sbyang Member

The only things stopping most people from quitting their current job for a higher paying on are:

1. Cannot get a higher paying job
    2. Too lazy, too comfortable, too scared to look for a higher paying job
    3. Attachment to the current job (like the perks, the location, the boss, etc)

Looking at it from an employer's perspective:

The employees who are skilled (not 1) and go-getters (not 2), will leave your company unless you can do enough of (3) to get them to stick around.

I'm not sure what OP can do about (3) in that line of work. What would be a good moral event for the restaurant biz?

16. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

From the tone of your OP, you both sound like incompetent fools that I wouldn't hire to get my coffee.

17. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

He should have asked for a raise or at least really had another job lol .

But no problem with him quitting with no notice people get fired/laid off all the time with no notice and these guys make peanuts they owe you nothing.

18. hotballa

lol I love how the anonymity of the internet always manages to help people who would be too passive to say stuff like this in real life. no man, I ain't surprised he's not responsible nor do I expect anyone to make a career of working at a restaurant. you bothered to read coddell's post, maybe it would have helped to read my subsequent posts on the topic before you set your internet personality to "patronizing know-it-all".

you know what's more annoying as hell than annoying as hell threads in the hangout? annoying as hell people who post in them and make annoying as hell posts about how annoying as hell the annoying as hell thread is.

19. hotballa

yeah like i said in my subsequent posts, him quitting with no notice was just more of an annoyance than anything else, it happens quite often and I get used to it. I'm just flabergasted by this time because it boggles my mind that someone would quit first in the hopes of getting a raise. Forget the fact that I'm an employer, if your friend did that, you know you would be clowning him.

20. hotballa

I've let two employees go during my time as owner. Both of them were given two weeks severance pay. I've outright fired one person without severance pay for showing up drunk.