1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Presti puttin' in work.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jun 8, 2012.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

This is what makes him a great GM. Hopefully Mr.Murray can build us a dynasty one day.

One day after winning the Western Conference Finals, Sam Presti and Troy Weaver of the Thunder front office caught an early flight to Chicago to attend a 9 AM workout session at the NBA Pre-Draft Camp.

“The Pre-Draft Camp is another step in the evaluation process as we head into the draft,” Presti said. “We place a lot of value on the opportunity to sit down with a lot of the prospects and learn about them on a personal level as we determine who are potential fits for our organization now and in the future."

Oklahoma City owns the 29th overall pick.

http://newsok.com/okc-thunder-sam-p.../Thunder+(NewsOK.com+RSS+-+sports+>>+thunder)

2. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Presti is a good GM and all but Durant/Westbrook/Harden were all high draft picks. It's not like he got them out of nowhere They were well positioned in the draft and they've picked well.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Man, if only Morey would go to the pre draft camp. I bet only good GMs are there.

Presence at the Camp is what separates good GMs from the bad ones.

1 person likes this.
  4. SPF35

SPF35 Member

westbrook and harden were both projected to go lower and while htey were known to be good, not as good as presti took them when he did at 2-3

he had some special finds and on how they would fit together and mentally be ok with okc, etc and the culture

5. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Pretty sure this is sarcasm, right?

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's called doing his job...

7. 713

713 Member

Overrated. Maury > Presti

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Hope this is sarcasm...Presti did brilliant work drafting guys and establsihing a great, young core.

2008, Westbrook at #4 and especially Ibaka at #24 were brilliant picks.
    2009, had the guts to take Harden at #3.

Morey ain't got **** on him at this stage of their GM careers.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No disrespect to Presti, because he did hit big on all of those picks, but Morey has not had anything near a #3 and #4 pick to compare. And Morey has done pretty well given the picks he has had, granted he hasn't found an Ibaka. Though it could be argued that Ibaka shines on that team because he isn't asked to do too much -- block shots and rebound, hit the occasional open jumper.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

What would you expect a GM to be doing right now instead...?

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm curious to see what Morey could do with a top 5 pick in the draft. Only way to know compare him and Presti.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Absolutely true. But Morey has never had cap space before. It is an incredibly important tool in making trades in the NBA. Presti had lots of cap to work with and the great fortune of the Blazers not selecting KD.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I was looking at some mock drafts and a bunch of them had them picking ricky rubio instead of harden.

RW was a top 6 pick on most mock drafts and many of them had him going to OKC.

Harden was a consensus top 5 pick so pick him at 3 wasn't that much of a reach.

I will have to give him credit for getting Serge. That is one really good pick he made. Even Perkins was a result of trading a top 5 pick (Green).

Heck they could have got love and rubio so their big three could be KD,Love, Rubio. The fact is when you have three top 5 picks you can get some really good players.

14. what

what Member

He got plain ass lucky with Ibaka. There is no way in life he knew he'd be THAT good.

I'll give him credit for Westbrook all day long. There were several players that was rated higher than Westbrook in the draft.

However, I have to say that going into that draft my two highest rated players behind Rose was Westbrook and Love.

15. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I wish Morey went to pre-draft camps :(

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nice thread. Did you know the Rockets are HOSTING the International players combine?

Did you also know Murray takes a trip to Europe and colleges every year during the college season? I guess Presti will check out the players but Murray did that 5 months ago. :grin:

17. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I hope you know it is well documented that Morey is one of, if not, the hardest working GM's in the league.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

if kevin durant wasn't on the team..you wouldn't even know who presti is.

so you can thank portland for presti's fame.

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Presti has done an outstanding job and to say otherwise is stupid. All this "he got lucky" talk is just more excuse making for our management team.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You're forgetting that the Thunder were incredibly fortunate when Jeff Green declined their $50mm extension offer.

Had he signed, the Thunder wouldn't have acquired Kendrick Perkins, and they'd be a significantly weaker team.