1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MSNBC: "Complacent Shaq is now irrelevant" (Mark Ventre)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by syntax error, Dec 26, 2002.

1. syntax error

syntax error Contributing Member

http://www.msnbc.com/news/851169.asp

Complacent Shaq is now irrelevant
    Shoddy work ethic has helped ruin Lakers’ big man, for now

COMMENTARY

Dec. 24 — Shaquille O’Neal is irrelevant. Notice I didn’t say he was overrated, useless or incompetent. Men with white jackets would place a net over my head, and I don’t need that. On a given night, he is still capable of being the league’s most dominant player. Ask any general manager if he would be interested in acquiring Shaq, and then hold the phone away from your ear.

BUT RIGHT NOW, in the current NBA, with this particular Lakers team, Shaq is irrelevant.
    For all his power, he is powerless. For all his experience, he is trodding on new ground. The player who grouses with disgust when others are mentioned in the same breath with the term “MVP” might as well take a few “DNPs” for all the good he’s doing the Lakers thus far.
    Oh, I forgot. He already did that at the start of this season.
    Christmas Day is approaching. With it brings the Sacramento Kings to Staples Center for the most eagerly anticipated regular season game in years. And yet, if you’re planning to give Shaq’s performance a theme song to coincide with the occasion, you’d be advised to play “Silent Night.”
    In fact, despite the colossal yuletide clash between last year’s Western Conference finalists, basketball fans are buzzing one name and one name only:
    Yao Ming.
    Like the Christmas toy every kid wants, Yao Ming is the center of choice right now among fans, media, coaches and players alike.
    Yao is the future. Shaq is the past.

Yao is The Man of the Hour. Shaq is yesterday’s news.
    Yes, I know we’re supposed to be focusing on the Sacramento Kings here, but in a roundabout way, we are. The Kings feel they got robbed by the striped shirts in last year’s conference finals. They want to beat the Lakers like a Christmas pinada.
    But since the end of last season, the team that has stolen the spotlight is the Houston Rockets, because their center has invigorated them. Their center has infused a franchise and a city with hope. Their center has shown leadership ability.
    Shaq, meanwhile, comes into the Sacramento-at-Staples imbroglio with a grim expression and a dim outlook. He can’t seem to extricate the Lakers from their current quagmire.
    Just look at the Lakers’ most recent outing. They needed overtime Sunday to defeat the Toronto Raptors, who were without starters Vince Carter and Antonio Davis, arguably their two best players. Despite the victory, they looked as shabby at times as they have in some of their worst losses. The Lakers are 11-18; only the Golden State Warriors are lower than they in the Pacific Division.
    True, Shaq had 31 points and 15 boards in the game. But the Lakers’ defense starts with him, and he shunned that responsibility. The Toronto Raptors, without their leading scorer, should not be laying 102 points on the world champs through regulation.
    Also, Shaq’s free throw follies continue. On Sunday, he was 7 for 18 from the line — 1 for 10 at halftime — but the Lakers survived. On Friday night, in a loss at Philadelphia, they did not, as Shaq hit only 8 of 19 on the night, and clanked six in the fourth period, including two with about 30 seconds left that might have won it for L.A.
    Oh, by the way. Yao Ming? He’s making 79 percent of his free throws. The Rockets are 15-11.
    The Sacramento Kings are coming to Los Angeles with a 22-8 record, second only to the Dallas Mavericks. The Kings had a rash of key injuries to start the season also, just like the Lakers, but somehow they managed to pull together instead of falling apart. You can be sure the Kings will play their best basketball on Christmas Day against the Lakers, because they’ve been waiting for this one for a long while. You can also be sure that predicting which Lakers team will show up on Wednesday is a complete crapshoot.
    It all starts with Shaq.
    He has been beaten up with the allegation that his decision to postpone foot surgery until September is the reason for the Lakers’ wretched start, so I won’t add to the carnage.
    No, Shaq has a bigger problem, and it has infected the rest of the team:
    Complacency.
    He has always been this way. In the old days, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson would spend their offseasons feverishly working to improve their games. They pined for the start of the regular season. They were human, and they endured bouts of lethargy, but they found ways to refresh themselves and they fought through them.
    Shaq is big on reminding people what he’s done. He’s quick to point out who is The Man. He belittles the Spurs’ big men. He mocks “The Sacramento Queens.” He publicly called out Yao Ming, suggesting in an early season interview, “Tell him Shaqzilla is coming!”
    What Shaq doesn’t do is work fanatically to maximize his own potential. There is no better example than his free throw shooting. He has said many times: “I’ll make ‘em when I have to.”
    Oh yeah? What about Friday night?
    Shaq enjoys his reputation as the baddest man in the league. He just doesn’t enjoy maintaining it. If you buy a great house, and you let it rot, it’s not a great house anymore.

In Shaq’s case, he is ruining his entire neighborhood. The Lakers won three championships in three years. That means lots of extra postseason games. That means when you’re about to try for four, you’d better be mentally and physically prepared. That means teams like San Antonio and Dallas and especially Sacramento, who were gunning for you before, are meaner and more ambitious in hunting you down this time.
    That’s why Shaq’s surgery shenanigans couldn’t have been more poorly timed. If you’re the leader of your team, you should understand that.
    Lackluster. Flat. Uninspired. Complacent. It all emanates from Shaq’s belief that he has established himself as the best in the land. But sports are the ultimate “What have you done for me lately?” profession, and Shaq should realize that he isn’t the best anymore. He has to prove himself all over again. And he’s failing.
    Call him The Big Irrelevant.

2. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

3. bajabill

bajabill Member

"Shaq should realize that he isn’t the best anymore."

Total BS. The fact is that Shaq is not Superman anymore, but the "best"?......yes, Shaq is still the BEST! Only fools think otherwise.

4. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Well, consider me a fool because I consider Tmac, Kobe, Kidd, Garnett, and Duncan to be better players.

They should have lost last year, not because of the refs but because Shaq wasn't nearly in the same shape that he'd been in the previous 2 championships, and at this pace they sure as hell won't win $h!+ this year.
    Instead of calling out the "Queens", his own teammates, and even Yao before stepping foot in Houston, he should try winning some games.
    Next time, tell the moron to handle priorities such as surgery early on.......and stay away from the 'Shaq-Packs'.

5. bajabill

bajabill Member

Oh, geee, let's see....Shaq is not as good as he could be.....so in your form of "logic" that means others who are as good as they could be are in fact better......STUPID! in case you can't figure it out.

He is shooting .564
    he averages 26/10/2.5/2.5
    Fatter, slower, and more earth bound he still draws consistent doubles and triples 50% of the time.......your heros pale in comparison even to this Shaq. PATHETIC AND WEAK!!!!

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

blah numbers blah statistics blah numbers blah stats ... thoughts of an uneducated person.

In the end, the only stat that matters is Team A has more points than Team B..... and with all his wonderful stats .... his team still does not have more points on the board than the other team.

I like Shaq, but he's a think in the past. The arguement of shaq and kobe has always been: who's better? Neither.

You can't factor work and teamwork ethics into stats.

7. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Geee....What's their record again?
    Geee....How much weight did he gain?
    Geee....Why didn't he take care of the surgery earlier?

I don't know if you just go to NBA.com and take a look at his stats, but watch some games and see how TERRIBLE he is at the defensive end.
    How he doesn't get position on offense nearly as well.
    How he can't make the quick move on offensive as often allowing the defense to easily collapse on him.

Again, tell the moron to just shut his mouth and lead the Lakers to some wins.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

OverRated,

The whole point of the article is that it's irrelevant whether Shaq is the best. He can't win games for his team right now. If the Lakers don't make the playoffs, what does it matter if he's the best or not?

And I think the criticism is valid. If Shaq thinks he's the best player, he should take up the responsibility, rather than pointing fingers at his own teammates. He should let his game speak for itself, rather than talking trash while his team is losing. He should work to improve his game (especially his FT) rather than acting like no one can touch him as the best.

9. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Oh, I agree Easy.
    I was just have a mini-discussion with bajabill.
    ;)

10. DreamMachine34

The arguments comes from two points (which happened to Dream after the championships also) and is the answer of Shaq's effectiveness. First off to the basics, Shaq is still better than 99.9% of all the centers in the league and possibly players. Although he's not the same, he is still a high caliber player. But that is the problem, he's not the same player unlike last year and the year before. Shaq (like anyone else who touches the championship rings or the All-Star god status) is measured on a different scale. The fact that he could just sit there and eat a Crunch bar, and grab those numbers by NBA standards would be great, but knowing that he isn't fulfilling his potential and work ethic hinders that judgment of him. All in all, all he has to do is make sure the Lakers win and all arguments will be lost. But...